I want your honest answers, fellas

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Kungfu Dinobot, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

the live action movie toys & movies I view as two seperate things.

Actually like the live action movie toys.

I hate the live action TF movies because of all the reasons you stated above.
    also in addittion I hate the twins,appliance bots,wheelie,shia le boufs awful acting skills. Don't care for sam's family nor friends.

2. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Well, I'm back.Took me long enough:eek: 

Those guys you mentioned where exactly the kind of people I was thinking off. I mean, sure turning into a gun pretty badass, but unless you're doing some deep-infiltration mission, it's just not very functional.

Yeah, the writer's strike probably hurt it, but I'm not sure it's totally to blame for the drop in quality.The action was awesome, I'll agree with that:) 

As for dismissing something as complete shit solely on the designs, well, humanity is very judgemental, me included, and there's no escaping it:rolleyes2 

Don't worry, I'm not going to tear your opinion apart;) 
    I largely agree with you for most part, except that I think ROTF wasn't that bad.

Well, I'm not sure Armada is the best example, some people say it's not that bad...Maybe you should use Energon instead?
    Still, your point stands.Maybe we could tell that to anyone denouncing something as crap based on a few designs shown?

I like the designs in the ILMs, but I wouldn't call them the most realistic, a bit too complicated.Don Fig's new designs are more realistic to me.

You sure they'd hate it more?I mean, wait, you have a point, they probably watched the Bumblepee scene and take comfort in the fact that it was an "imposter" doing it:D 

Still, I believe it will be true for those who can take toilet jokes but for whatever reasons hate the designs with the intesity of a thousand stars.

Yeah, I prefer a more alien take to Tranformer designs too, like Demolishor, Rampage and Scalpel (I only own Scalpel, though, other 2 seems pretty sucky)

Gee, Bay really is a whipping boy isn't he? I mean, some blame should be directed at ILM, for all the details that Bay wouldn't notice, or Hasbro for approving them? Still, maybe they're thinking of someone like Christopher Nolan and his true-to-the-source Batverse, though of course, we can always point out to them that Henri Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul are fused together, or that Scarcrow doesn't have a full costume, or that Joker has a Glasgow smile instead of a contorted face and needs makeup to look like a clown?:ev: 

3. Takeout

Takeout Mistress of the Night

I don't hate the movies, but G1-inspired designs would've made me hate them.

*flees inevitable flames*

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no, it needs to be more about the robots and how they adapt and feel about those around them.

The Cybertron cartoon was more successful in telling a story about the transformers than the movies, Michael Bay doesn't see them beyond great big alien robots here to smash stuff up.

(I would like to see him prove me wrong with the third movie but we all know it's still just going to be human centralised.)

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    The designs would not save anything. If everything else would be done better, than it would not matter that the robots designs are so alien.

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I have to disagree with this. They came up with the designs, yes, but Bay always decided what they should go with, what changes needed to be made, etc.

:thumb 

7. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

The plot of the G1 cartoon wasn't all that indepth or riveting either (maybe since it was just a cartoon aimed at kids...) and the humor in it was well...

The violence was simple punch, fall down- shoot, stumble and shoot back. That was all a little... boring for a movie standpoint don't you think? The cool fight scenes in movies like the Matrix or Spider Man was what kept people coming back to them and that is what Bay was probably going for as well.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's kind of funny but I think the Transformers were the most alien in Animated. Always some concept coming up that the Autobots really couldn't understand because there was nothing like that on Cybertron. Sort of the idea that alien robots will always have trouble understanding what humans do in the bathroom.

First movie they attempted a bit of this. But by the second movie it was pretty much like you summed it up of being big robots here to smash stuff up. Yes I know you can learn lots of stuff from the internet but there is a difference from learning it on the net and dealing with real world applications. Hard enough for a person to drop into another culture, but for aliens we should always be weird and different.

9. Kungfu Dinobot

Well, the transformers in Animated didn't seem to surf the World Wide Web, of course the movie transformers would be more *ahem* experienced.

10. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

This thread makes me giggle. Sorry, but it does. For me it's really simple - G1 is G1. Beast Wars is Beast Wars. Armada is Armada. Bayverse is Bayverse. Etc etc etc. My point? In my mind, they are all different continuities and should be treated as such. Ironhide as a black Topkick? Certainly screams more "badass" in a 2007 live-action movie than a 1980s soccer mom red mini-van from 1984 - in the Bayverse. In G1, a red minivan in the 1980s was acceptable because it was SET in the 1980s. For the live action movies? Uh, no. Bayverse is more realistic, gritty and clearly set in the past few years. There is absolutely no way in hell that a red minivan that instantly inspires "SOCCER MOM" feelings in anyone under the age of 27 or so would have been popular in a 2007 or 2009 movie PERIOD, and for that matter, from a Hasbro standpoint - a red minivan Ironhide toy wouldn't have sold any toys at all except to G1 fans. Same goes for all of the design changes in the Bayverse. Now, I'm not going to lie, I prefer the Topkick version to the minivan - but that's also because even though I love G1 and grew up with that, I also was a soccer kid and I absolutely loathe minivans because of that association. Anyway, this whole Bayverse vs G1 crap is just ridiculous when you consider the fact they were never supposed to be the same 'verse/continuity (and really, TF has had so many freaking continuities it's not that hard to realize that they aren't all related AND that it is okay that every universe after the first is not purist G1).

Bayverse is NOT the same continuity as G1. It really would be best to stop treating it as such. The Bay movies would have had MORE bitching if Bay had adhered to that canon and we all know it - "omg it's not done right, teh Transformers is ruined forevah wah wah wah". That happened with the way Bay did it, and it would have happened if he adhered to G1 purist expectations. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't with this subject. Really - I don't get all pissy because I know they are all different and I don't have G1 1980s expectations for a live-action movie series that is set roughly 25 YEARS after the first series. Just something to think about. *shrugs*

11. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In case you didn't notice, I never claimed the G1 cartoons had clever humor, a decent plot or high quality animation. I dislike the cartoon.

So why did you quote me? :p 

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    THANK YOU.
    This "ruined forever" bullshit is among the funniest (and most tragic) (and most laughable) things I have read on TFW in many, many years.

13. Kungfu Dinobot

Aw, come on, guys, I'm on your side. Don't mistake me for those "ruined forever" guys:( 

14. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

Oh don't worry, it was more of a rant towards the entire subject and the fandom love/hate G1 vs Bayverse stuff, not you. :) 

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup. Nothing aimed at you, d00d.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I hate the faces, other than that it is what it is.

17. xeno

xeno xeno

News Credits:
    I hated the movies, but thought that many of the designs were cool. But I'm waiting for a certain Peter Jackson to make the remake.

18. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    egh, i don't know how i'd feel about that. i'm happy with what we got, despite the many flaws. i was just really happy to see the bots on screen at all.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Or maybe someone like Peter Jackson could find another up and coming director who just needs a bit of a push from a big name. Neill Blomkamp did a really great job on District 9 but without the backing of someone like Jackson the movie might not have ever got off the ground or picked up for an American theatrical release.

I don't need a big name director to get some hopes up about a better series of Transformers films. Even a fairly fresh director would do as long as they were willing to break out of the standardized summer action film mold the series has fallen into.

20. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Sure, as the director he got to make the final calls, but it still stands that the basic visual art style that everyone rags on came from these artist's minds.
    People use Bay to justify their hatred for the designs because Bay is an easy scapegoat.