I Used to Work at Reprolabels (Toyhax) AMA

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Signal LancR, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm curious, has Hasbro ever approached you guys about possibly buying you out? Labels are an intrinsic part of Transformers, and I think the company would be a perfect supplement for Hasbro's stuff.

Also, do you guys start planning label sets as soon as you see images of a new toy, or do you wait until it's in hand?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Signal LancR

Signal LancR Bah weep gragnah TFW2005 Supporter

Not to my knowledge

EDIT: I did wonder if the stickers in the Prime Wars trilogy was them trying to beat Toyhax at their own game. But those stickers speak for themselves, and they speak volumes.

I feel cheated that there was no Team Rocket style throwing down of the gauntlet.

I was pretty eager about it, so I kept a notebook of concept ideas for new figures as they were announced. But that's all that can be done without the toy in hand to more closely examine surface detail, size and what parts move in what ways. So, whenever there was a new toy, i would jot down bullet points like
    Sparkless Seeker - Prime Skyquake conversion

Or

Rusticon (Sparkless Bot) - junkion-style detail

But that's all you can do with pictures. Colour matching is a nightmare without being able to see the toy in person.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sepster

Sepster Well-Known Member

How quickly can one set be re-worked for a mold-mate? For instance, how quickly can a set for Earthrise Prowl and Bluestreak be worked up with there already being a set for Smokescreen available? Or Earthrise Ironhide with a Earthrise Ratchet already available?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Signal LancR

With the toy in hand for colour reference and absolutely no art or die line changes, it can be done very quickly. It takes a few test prints to nail the colours, but it is very quick and easy to do palette swaps. This makes it more of a priority to do sets for big mold families like the Seekers and the Datsuns, because it's less work for more product, same as it is for Hasbro.

That said, straight palette swaps almost never happen. The Datsuns need three different sets of art because they're a normal car, a police car, and a race car. I wouldn't want a Smokescreen set with "POLICE - HIGHWAY PATROL" all over it. Similarly the Seekers all have different stripes on their wings, the coneheads all have different wing shapes, and Ironhide would look weird covered in crosses.

Unfortunately, art is the most time-consuming part of the process. Handing an artist one set of die lines and asking for two different art concepts is twice as much work for the artist. The results are worth it but you have to be patient, even for something as seemingly simple as Earthrise Ironhide and Prowl.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Signal LancR

This is a mockup of what concept art looks like Toyhax looks like. I'm curious; can you tell what it's supposed to be as it is?

Netflix Skyquake Conversion Final.jpg

I'll post what I intended later on

• Like Like x 3
  6. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    What's the design process when it comes to making unique sticker sets, as in, sets for characters that give them a design without a comic/TV inspiration, like the Ironworks set that turns him into a Decepticon?

7. Signal LancR

Original Creations like Siege Wrought or CW Shakedown are generally limited to recolouration of old sets, but they generally start with two people asking one another if a mock-up, like the one I just posted, looks cool. If it does look cool and the manager likes it, it gets produced. It's that simple. That's one of the advantages of a small company.

8. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

Any idea why Toyhax didn’t make yellow stickers to cover all the chipping yellow parts on MP-44’s waist? I would have bought a set just for those.

9. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    Skyquake (G1) is my guess

10. Signal LancR

I had no idea that was a problem. I knew of general paint chipping issues, but not the yellow specifically. It's a shame, I was the guy who sold their copy of MP44. I don't know if they'd be opposed to that set, but someone would have to lend them a copy of MP44.

Ding ding ding! Thank god. What do you think of it?

Netflix G1 Skyquake Conversion Final New Head.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Bob Schoonover

News Credits:
    I dig it. I've been hoping for someone to just make a Prime Skyquake head for him, but that works, too. The alt mode is fantastic and takes the Skyquake deco so well. Robot mode is solid, but the Tetrajet mold is uniquely awful for planning and placing stickers

-------

I know you said you weren't involved with the Pyrocons, but TH teased a use of the Rook mold before revealing (I think Exhaust) the fourth limb. Any idea what the concept was for Rook?

12. Signal LancR

Thanks! and yes, that mold is tricky to work with.

I haven't the foggiest idea, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Signal LancR

Netflix Prime Skyquake Conversion FInal.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bob Schoonover

News Credits:
    Very awesome and very wanted

• Like Like x 1
  15. WyldeBill

WyldeBill Yeeee Hawww!

Ebay:
    I noticed Toyhax stopped listing the designer credits for the new sets on their website. Was that because of you?

16. Signal LancR

No, but it was during my time there. I have no idea why they stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That would have been nice :D 

3D puffy stickers. How were they made? Tougher to use because they can interfere with clearance and there are fewer sizes, but man these are neat. I always thought it was weird that the red ones had more of a chromatic aberration/color separation effect. I was always curious if that was due to some blend of inks created to match a specific color vs a single red ink, or was from the puffing process.

One of my other favs was the chrome outline set... but there was always one solid line of missed print. I never bothered emailing anyone about it, but what is the QA process like when you're stuffing envelopes? Was the chrome ink just a pain/was that a common issue with those labels?

Anywho, big fan of the reprolabels. Just ordered some on the 10th!

18. WyldeBill

WyldeBill Yeeee Hawww!

Ebay:
    Any chance we’ll see the rest of Unicron set?

19. Signal LancR

I'm confident the boss would never forgive me for spilling the beans on that, I'm sorry.

As for ink properties, each colour is made from a different cocktail of different chemicals which have their own properties. Some colours are mechanically stronger, others aren't. There is sometimes wiggle room in using different stock-ink combinations, but more often than not you're stuck, especially with raised-ink.

Always happy to hear someone who enjoys my work!... even if i don't do it anymore.

Those chrome labels are an absolute pain in the ass! I did the QA on a lot of those, and you just about go cross-eyed on the smaller symbols. Blank lines are a common issue, but it is completely reasonable to ask for replacements. Thanks for writing!

Agh! I hate that this is all I can say, but stay tuned!

• Like Like x 1
  20. TogeAtama

TogeAtama Well-Known Member

Hello, sorry if this isn’t the right place for this, but has anyone else gotten bugged mails like this from Toyhax?

I got this one as a response to an inquiry I left on their page…

3A7802EB-4F2C-4FD4-92B9-B4148652056A.jpeg