I think the next planned Transformers movie should do time travelling

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Theoutcast87, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Theoutcast87

Theoutcast87 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like X-Men Days of Future Past, Paramount could reset the whole Transformers franchise and start fresh with Knightverse. What do you guys think?

2. Fanatic97

Fanatic97 Fanatic97

I'd so no, just let Knight. Anyone who comes into the Knightverse follows up on Bumblebee, time traveling would only complicate matters.

Since I saw Bee though I've thought about what I'd want in a sequel/Bumblebee 2? I want the Insecticons as the villains of the story. Sure there are only 3 in number from G1 (at least from the "classic" insecticon line up) but given that Knight likes himself some G1 accuracy the threat could be that the Insecticons plan is to create a drone army and then literally consume the earth of resources and raze the planet

Bring back Charlie and maybe pair up Bee with like one or two more Autobots. My fav ones for this are Arcee and Wheeljack personally, just for the idea of all three personalities clashing at least a little. Instead of a race against the clock like in Bee, this time it's a keep the Insecticon swarm in their hive/destroy them or at the very least weaken them so maybe the army/other Autobots can keep up the fight should they fail

3. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    See, they don't even need to do time traveling. Bumblebee just ended up retconning things anyway. Paramount needs to get a grip and reboot starting from where Bumblebee left off and ignore everything that has happened in the Bayverse.

4. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Eh. There's a time I'd have jumped at using time-travel to clean the s*** off the toilet, but given that the last two or three major film franchises that tried to use time-travel to fix themselves damn near destroyed themselves all over again when it was all done, it's doubtful it would make much of a difference at this point. Just wait a few years for the dust to settle; spin a '90s-set, lone-stranger-type Optimus movie off of 'Bee also with a lower budget; and rebuild the franchise from there without regard to any of the other films.

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'd be okay with this. They need to start respecting the fans and the audience by not treating them like they're stupid. The films are tied together by the flimsiest of strings, but then they're made like they're standalone films, each and every one. That works for something like Highlander where it was supposed to be a one and done and they forced sequels, but something like Transformers? Uh. Continuity is important.

At the very least, make it an alternate universe or something. Past a certain point, people will start to complain and no longer chalk it up to "Oh, it's just a silly Transformers movie." Even the public are starting to get riled by these things.

Honestly, it wouldn't kill 'em. It's not that hard to have a cohesive story that makes sense and ties the sequels and pieces together. If there's a legit problem in doing so, then perhaps they shouldn't be made by people who can't figure out their @$$ from their elbow.

6. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    If they use time traveling, I actually hope it's not to reset the timeline. If that's the goal, just reboot. If they want to keep the same timeline, just don't reboot. There's no reason to make it any more confusing than it has to be.

I wouldn't mind a time travel Transformers movie as a standalone adventure. Kind of like the G1 episode where they time travel to medieval times.

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But if it's done properly, the time travel angle can fix things and explain to the audience all of the changes. It'll also wipe the slate clean and give them fresh space to write the future of the series. You give the audience and fans zero credit, but they're not actually as stupid or confused as you'd think. X-Men DOFP screwed things up by not being abundantly clear on several issues and we were left to figure them out on our own.

Star Trek did the reboot thing properly. Our Spock became their Spock Prime and their Spock explained it clearly as the old timeline still exists and the current one is a deviation and it's a new timeline. Both can coexist and none of the audience is left feeling stupid or confused. If it's difficult for the Transformers writers and producers to get that working, then they shouldn't be making these movies or any, for that matter. The instant Lorenzo said he didn't even know what reboot means, that should've been our clue that the man didn't even finish high school. If he did, then our educational system has been screwed up forever and we're really screwed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    They certainly could do it well, but I just don't think it's necessary. It seems a bit weird to devote an entire movie (presumably a main movie) to 'undoing' the past movies. A simple statement by Paramount could do the exact same job without spending a dollar. Then the next big movie could just be used to tell a new story, without having to focus on the past problems of the series. Most of the series' continuity problems probably aren't famous enough to warrant a feature film to retcon them anyway. For instance, I don't think the general public really cares that the Bumblebee movie didn't reference WW2.

Personally, I don't like what they did with the new Star Trek series. I think trying to tie it into the original timeline was unnecessary. I'd prefer them commit to setting it in the original timeline and adhere to canon, or just make it a full reboot. Now we have to deal with things like Vulcan having a moon (or sister planet, I don't remember) despite no such moon existing previously in canon. If it were a full reboot, technical things like that wouldn't be an issue.

Also, the Star Trek reboot movies alienated many classic Star Trek fans by "overwriting" the classic timeline. Abrams threw out an explanation that the classic timeline still exists in a different dimension, but it was too little too late. It still rubs a lot of fans the wrong way. The Bayverse does have fans, and it seems a little disrespectful to say "well, none of that actually happened after all". Again, a full reboot would allow both universes to exist simultaneously (even if the Bayverse is abandoned).

9. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

Time travel films is a big 'No-No' in China.

10. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What? X-Men dofp made 116 million in China

11. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

12. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    Basically I hate time travel forced into any narrative lore that isn’t initially based on a time travel concept. It’s always messy and is a loophole minefield. I let Star Trek off, because the voyage home is awesome.