I think I got ripped off...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Aug 3, 2010.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah..that's just kinda taking it too too much of an extreme. May as well worry about getting struck by lightning flung by raptor Jesus.

2. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Doesn't everybody?

Or just me?

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Giving people money usually gets your ass robbed by the guys backup.

And never show your money clip/wallet to strangers.

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

A long time ago, I realized its best to give food to people wanting a handout in the street. If they are really hungry, they get food. If they're trying to scam you or use the money to buy drugs or alcohol, they'll get pissed off at the site of food. Win Win.

5. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

derp

I probably would have offered to call his wife or the tow company or whatever.

6. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I never give money to strangers, unless it's one of those legit non-profit charities. I don't even give money to friends unless I trust them enough to pay me back.

7. Ctrl_Z

Ctrl_Z Well-Known Member

I sometimes lend friends money. Never give to bums really. ok maybe on rare occasions. Strangers? depending on the circumstance but that's even more rare than with homeless. I will usually give money to a charity. If I'm asked, then I will.

Here's the thing; If i do give money, it's always with the acceptance that I'll never see a return on it.

8. Giga Leo

Giga Leo I know and you know...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sadly that $10 is gone, and as others have said, going to the 'meeting place' is almost a surefire way to get jumped.

A big key is to not make eye contact. Once they lock on, they'll swoop in on you like a hawk. If I'm passing by someone who asks for change I just say "no" and keep walking. If I'm approached and they start revving up the sob story, I've hit the point now where I cut them off and ask "Are you going to ask me for money? Does this story end with you asking me for money?" And then I wait for an answer. Yes or no, the response will always be "I'm not giving you money."

As far as the chance of one becoming aggressive, you really never know if someone's just trying to scam or if there is something mentally wrong with them. As long as you stay alert during the encounter you should be fine. Most panhandlers are so used to being declined, it's doubtful that you'll be the one to send them over the edge. I've only had one two or three become really angry, but it's never escalated past some angry nonsensical yelling. If for whatever reason they decide to go after you, then you trust your fight or flight instincts.

9. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually I did offer to accompany him to the toll truck company, but he muttered something about not being able to.

Thanks guys, for all the technical stuff, probably have to get the police phone numbers into my phone. I really appreciate all your advice. Lesson well learned...

10. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    You got gots....never fall for that stuff when its a man...women and children only...

11. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    You didn't get ripped off, you willingly gave someone $10.

12. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, you sound like me!

If he was gone after you gave him the cash, he's not going to track you down to do anything to you. I'd also say that this has been a bit of a learning experience. Granted it cost you $10, but that's all.

I have a strange ability of attracting beggars and stuff out and about, even if I avoid eye contact. They'll make a beeline straight for me. Luckily, I have a pretty fast walking pace, so I'm past them and over the horizon by the time they've finished their opening line (usually "Can I ask you a polite question?"). I think the secret is to keep moving, or something.

13. Lob-Lob

Lob-Lob Hammer time.

My dad experienced a similiar event. This guy was saying he only needed like $5 to put gas in his car (he was at a gas station), but my dad declined. A week later, the same guy approached my dad and his friends when they were out and used the same sob story. Of course my dad instantly recognized him and once he and his friends began to circle the guy, he took off.

14. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

YouTube - Panhandler scammer

Man i found my new job........ :wtf: 
    Just kidding i couldnt do it... I cant go up 2 people and ask them for money..

Or someone like this i might, At least they are working for it..

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sad as it is to say, this is why I flat out ignore everyone when I'm out walking around. I wear my headphones, don't make eye contact and won't acknowledge anyone I don't know trying to talk to me or get my attention. If I don't have my headset on and someone asks me for change or something, I just say "no" forcefully and keep walking, without changing my pace or making eye contact. Just look confident, don't stop what you're doing and don't do anything to encourage them.

As far as giving money, I work hard for the money I earn. If I'm going to donate money, it's going to be to a legitimate charity that will ensure the money gets to people who really need it and is a cause I support (almost exclusively children's charities). I'm not about to waste money, and the time I worked to earn it, by giving it to someone on the street who I have no idea whether they legitimately deserve the help or not.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    id not bother meeting him as either he won't show up or he will ambush you and mug you.

Live and learn.

17. Honey-Flash

Honey-Flash Yes, I'm a girl.

I always say: "Never trust weirdos you meet in a parking lot."

Yes you did get scammed, but don't feel so bad about yourself. You were not the first person to get coned in a parking lot, and you certainly won't be the last.

18. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I make it simple, these are human beings as well so I try to be somewhat nice about it, even if they are scammers and con artists. I simply say "Sorry, I have nothing on me" and 99% of the time, most just keep walking.

If anyone gets aggressive, like others have said, walk into the nearest store or busy area with other people around. Most beggars arent motivated enough to do something with a bunch of people around that can see them do it.

But I find if you're at least somewhat nice or at least not treating them like total scum, they take the hint alot better than if you're an asshole to them.

19. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

Next time, ask to see some damn proof of him needing a tow and that $10.

20. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah i am going to go with you will never see your ten bucks again