I think I got ripped off...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Aug 3, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aren't you guys afraid of physical confrontation?

Forgive me for all this, but I'm actually not American, and back home I've never dealt with panhandlers before. Our beggars usually just sit quietly with their heads bowed down, money bowl outstretched without asking for anything or they would play some music. In fact, it's considered honorable to give to beggars back home due to their humility.

I've never faced people directly asking for money before so I really don't know what to say. This guy was different from others too, he seemed well-off enough.

2. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

Yeah, ya goofed up pretty bad there. You're about as likely to get your money back as the TF fanbase is to get all the HA Mudflaps we want by tommorow.

If you go and in the unlikely event he shows up you'll probably get robbed and/or killed. So I would suggest not going.

A good rule of thumb is, unless you actually see the "tragedy" happen with your own eyes then they are probably lying.

Often the best answer to responding is to ignore them or just say you have no money and get to your car/into the store/around more people as soon as possible.

If this sort of thing happens to you often it might pay to invest in a tazer.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well you're a good person for trying to help so I'll give you points for that, but did you really expect to see that money again?

Everything you said to describe him you interpreted as him not being a bum but I interpret as he should have other means like debit/credit cards or other friends to help him. His one call is to his wife and that's it?! Pretty sad life if that's all he's got.

4. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Wait, you thought he was gonna get rough with you? I'm not sure if he'd attack you in the middle of a parking lot over 10 bucks.

5. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Quick... quick question...

How in the name of SANITY did you agree to this?

Frankly, pal, the guy was looking for a chump, and I guess he found one.

I can't articulate the words to describe this fittingly.

(P.S. Could you lend me a couple of grand? I need to pay for hospital bills. I'll pay you back in aztec gold marked by a treasure map I may give you once I run away and never get seen again.)

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I had some idiot try to sell me a Target gift card at a gas station a few weeks ago. They said it had $20 on it but only wanted $10 for it, and the awesome thing was they had a receipt for it that PROVED it was worth $20! Wow, really? That receipt is so awesome and absolutely proves that card in your hand still has $20 on it.

It blows my mind that people fall for this crap.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  7. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    No, but his voice did raise a bit when I told him I had little to spare. I really don't know how it'll turn out, but based on the stories I hear, I'm playing on the safe side a bit. So partly I was just avoiding trouble.

Maybe you guys, living in the USA all your life, could tell me if there's anything to be afraid of? What if the guy threatens you? Like in this video:

YouTube - Aggressive Memphis Panhandler-- HILARIOUS!!!!

I really would not know what to do in that situation (sans camera)! Please help a newbie here!

8. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    It's nothing to do with the America, I get these sob-stories on a frequent basis in the UK, and I trust them as far as I can throw them too. One time I had a woman telling me her husband was in hospital in Newcastle (about 35 miles away and needed £10 to get a train ticket to see him. I politely declined, then a few days later I saw her again in the same location and she said she needed £10 to visit her son, who was in hospital in Newcastle. I just said "Wow, you have an accident-prone family, huh?" and walked on by.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You better get $2.

10. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

Similar thing happened to me and my dad a few years back. This dirty lookin' guy came up to our house with pretty much the same story of 'Oh, I need to borrow money for a tow truck, blah blah blah', And my dad being the kind of man he is, gave the guy $50, and even drove him to the bus station. Never saw that guy or the money ever again.

So don't feel bad, that guy only conned you out of $10. Big whoop.

11. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

You said you were coming out of Target right? There had to have been people inside the Target. Anytime that happens at that level of agression or you just feel sufficiently intimidated go back into the store or wherever you just came from as long as it has more people (and preferably lots of light, even if there are no cameras) and tell the manager/owner, store security (if they have it), or even an employee. Light and people tend to dissuade attackers from making bold moves, and even if they do you'll have a better chance of witnesses seeing it.

12. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Well, that's one aggressive panhandler. I have to say, that would be intimidating, but I think Omega jolt has a great Idea. ^

13. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Yeah, think of it this way - he stole the equivalent of a Tuner Mudflap.

14. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I only give homeless people the change I have or if I am feeling generous I will buy them some food or a drink

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I live in NY, so I see this stuff all the time.

The harsh thing to do is really just say "no, sorry,got no time"

But perhaps if you are of a kinder aspect, you can always ask him to show you where his car is, or call the Toll truck for him. That way you don't hand money directly to him, and his car's screwed.

16. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Thanks for your advice. That makes sense. Could angered people hold grudges? I mean say if this guy decided to track me to where I live or something. Maybe find me where I work or stay. I've watched too many thriller movies.

Yes this is pure paranoia, but please do help!

17. dre_203

dre_203 Well-Known Member

Here in downtown Austin a woman pan handler was begging this couple for money. When they said "no" she stabbed them with a pocket knife or something. They suffered minor injuries but it goes to show how aggresive these pan handlers can get.

18. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    If they get aggressive, and you want to avoid a confrontation, head into a public building, like a store, or a resteraunt or something similar and he'll probably leave you alone. Basicaly, if you make it so that if he tries anything, there'll be witnesses, he'll see this and decide it's not worth it. No effort involved, no need to threaten him or be confrontational yourself, just say no, and if he gets funny then go somewhere with staff, or better yet, cctv/security. Supermarkets are ideal.

He aint gonna follow you home. If he's desperate he'll just pick on some other person. A lot easier and quicker than following someone. You don't want to be in too much of a crowd in case you both get lost in it, but you want people around you. He'll bugger off and not come back.

19. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

At the point where they are actively following you to your home/work/etc. (and keep in mind that is extremely rare from such a petty thing as panhandling) then you have a full on stalker case and can have the police or a P.I. firm do a stakeout at your house/job etc. to try and catch them.

If they ever actually break into your home and attack you then that's a home invasion and you can defend yourself however you please.

There is about a 99.9999999% chance you won't see him again though, and if you do it will be at the same Target.

20. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Dude...you tried to follow a guy into the John?