i still think the TF1 is the best

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by optimus pryme, Jun 29, 2017.

1. optimus pryme

optimus pryme Well-Known Member

I remember 10 years ago when it came out how everyone was complaining how it had too many humans an not enough robots. I think that was absolutely fine for the first installment. I loved the buildup to the autobots' arrival, and what we saw of the transformers was just enough to leave me wanting more. Then Bay just blew his load in RotF and it was all kinds of wacky and disjointed. DotM might've been good if it wasn't almost an exact repeat of RotF.

But I think TF1 was almost perfect. dumb humor aside, there weren't really any errors like in RotF, and it was just well-made in general. Loved how threatening Megatron and the decepticons were. what the hell happened?

I would have had DotM be the second one, but with Megatron leading the assault and not Sentinel. We'd have Thundercracker and Skywarp flying around with Starscream instead of those idiotic manned fighters. Instead of the Driller, I'd have Tidal Wave come ashore from Lake Michigan to "seal off the city", first washing away the people on the streets, then piling up a wall of rubble so the autobots have a hard time getting in. Chicago would be absolutely fucked up, and the decepticons would win in the end.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    TF1 is definitely not the best one. I never understood why people like it so much to be quite honest. And to make things worse they killed Jazz.

3. optimus pryme

optimus pryme Well-Known Member

well that's like, your opinion man.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Dark Skies

Dark Skies Autobot Megatron

TF1 was great the first 70 times I watched it, now it's kind of boring.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

tf1 still a 10/10 for me...to me it was the movie most like bay's older films (bad boys, the rock)

6. Galvatross

Galvatross Mask-free zone Veteran

It's ALL opinions.

Having said that, and while I need to see TLK again to get a better opinion on what aspect about it is best, I think a case can be made for any one of the films being the best, because at this point in the brand's history we are from different generations, family backgrounds, etc. and grew up with different Transformer stories.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I'd say the first is the best at portraying the Transformers as alien robots in disguise that can hide in plain sight. ROTF is the best as a fun, nonsensical adventure perfectly at home in the nature of the brand. DOTM is the best at portraying the Autobot-Decepticon war and its negative effects on Cybertron and Cybertronians. AOE is the best at depicting the Transformers as sentient, sapient beings like humans are and at depicting the science fiction side to Transformers. Pick your poison!

• Like Like x 4
  7. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Beautifuly said. Not one film is the definitive best.

• Like Like x 2
  8. FlamingBolt

FlamingBolt Well-Known Member

TF1 imo has better cgi than the recent ones. Something about them just seem off.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AMG

AMG Old School

It has the best version of Megatron out of all the movies. He was so powerful and menacing in TF1 (as he should be).

10. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    As I've stated on here many times before, TF1 has always had and will always have the benefit of being the first live-action Transformers movie. That by itself is going to cause many people to look at it with rose-colored glasses. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's still the case. And TF1 got a lot right - the Autobot Arrival scene will always be one of my favorite scenes of all time. Of ANY movie.

That being said, there is A LOT wrong with TF1. Hell, even the Autobot Arrival scene I love so much has things I don't like. The editing, for example. Jazz's dialogue, for another. There's just so much weird/dumb/pointless crap in TF1 (and all of these movies). TF1 definitely has it's share of "wow!" moments, probably more than any of the others. That's another reason why it's so fondly remembered... and again, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

I guess my point is... in this franchise, "best" means "least bad." And really, that's pretty fucking said.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

It is most certainly the best one. Not to say it doesn't have problems - but compared to the others it's a masterpiece.

• Like Like x 1
  12. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

What is best is most definitely a matter of opinion. Buuuuuut, the arguments supporting TF1 over the others are…easier to make and defend than arguments made for any of the sequels, I’ll leave it at that. Well, no, I won’t. I’ll break it down into the categories I find to be important (please note, I have not seen TF5, so I will not be including it in my evaluation).

Dialogue: None were great, but TF was good, the rest were terrible. I actually liked the dialogue in the first movie, Prime only said “I am Optimus Prime” when appropriate (introduction to Sam and identifying himself in the transmission at the end of the movie), the characters were quirky, a bit odd, but they weren’t off the rails batshit crazy like they were in TF2-4. OK, Simmons was a caricature, but he wasn’t nearly as bad in 1 as he was in 2 & 3. The dialogue in ROTF was horrendous, just horrendous, the moron twins, the mom, Jetfire, Simmons & Leo interactions, and the penchant for characters (primarily Leo) to communicate via nonsensical rapid-fire comments that both came out of left field AND assumed that the other person was clearly on the same page as them. This continued in DOTM with Ken Jeong desperately needing the help of the Autobots, recognizing Sam, and instead of clearly explaining his situation decides to attack him in a bathroom stall and speak in a code that only those already in league with him (i.e. the f’n Decepticons) would understand, believing that this stunned and confused kid would have some idea of what the f’ he was talking about and get him help. John Malkovich’s character was wrong on every level (I’m sure Bay creates these characters just to piss everyone but his fanboys off), everybody is screaming and threatening, every bit of dialogue was either stupid or a chaotic mess of noise. AOE had less cringe-worthy dialogue than the prior two (for the humans), but it still was bad. Marky Mark, in his light Bostonian accent pointing out that Irish child-molester with a law card (which him having a drawing attention to being not only creepy, but stupid as at 17, she was of the age of consent, but busting out that card and saying it applies to you means you’ve been banging her for years, since before she was of age…f’n moron) doesn’t have a Texas accent, telling everyone that he’s an inventor over and over again, and then implying that because he and Stanley Tucci are both inventors, they have some higher moral code they must adhere to (what? Is there some sort of tinkerer’s Hippocratic Oath?), and so on. And then there was the dialogue for the Autobots. Everything out of Hound’s mouth was f’n terrible. Prime’s overly dramatic and pointless ‘love my new family I’ve known for 24 hours’ spewings were awful, and his conscripting Grimlock with the blade of a sword and threat of death was stunningly awful (his f’n motto, even in the film universe, is Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings!!!!!), and then to hear Drift and Crosshairs express how moving and inspiring his leadership was at this display is nothing short of sickening. WTF?

Characterization: Again, none were great. And yes, I know the movies aren’t G1, so I won’t expect the characters to match their G1 incarnations (apart from Prime, sorry, but Optimus Prime should be Optimus Prime in every non-shattered glass incarnation). TF1 had the advantage of a small cast and no prior versions to compare it to, and this advantage along with Kurtzman/Orci giving a f’ kept everyone on track with who they were supposed to be. I liked Sideswipe’s brief characterization in ROTF (that and the forest fight scene were the only aspects of that film that didn’t suck), but Megs becoming subservient, Prime becoming Dirty Harry (yes, he should kill his enemies, but be Optimus f’n Prime about it and do your duty with solemn respect, not as some giddy hitman who then pisses on the corpse)…in fact, the only Bay movie where Optimus Prime was Optimus Prime was the first. All the rest Bay had his righteous rage and vengeance amped up to 11, and if a TF movie gets Optimus Prime wrong, then it fails in the characterization category.

Action: Again, none were great. Don’t get me wrong, all had stunning visuals, all had great fight scenes, but unfortunately all had bloated, meandering, tedious grand finale battles that had most of the audience looking at their watches mid-way through. But, with that in mind, I have to say that my favorite of the 4 in this category, God help me, was Revenge of the Fallen. Strictly my opinion, but I liked the comparative simplicity of the brawls and battles of ROTF over DOTM and AOE. And TF1 had just too much ‘drunk cameraman’ to even compete with the later movies. DOTM and AOE were just too busy with the fight scenes. Maybe I’m simple here, but the grand finales of 3 & 4 where a cacophony of destruction and movement that was just work to keep up with. Bay keeps trying to outdo himself with every battle sequence, and it’s gotten to the point where he’s trying too f’n hard. So, as hard as it is for me to admit, ROTF wins a category. I never thought I’d say that.

Story Cohesion/Plot/Shit making sense: TF1. I really don’t think I need to justify this one. This post is long-winded enough without me going into this, so I won’t, but if you’d like me to defend my opinion, just ask, and I will.

Visual Effects: Hell, I don’t know, probably AOE. The one area of the movies that is never criticized is ILM’s contributions. They’ve done an astounding job…just think about it, they’ve taken a ridiculous concept like giant, alien transforming robots fighting a war on our world and they’ve made it so it looks as real as real can look. I don’t have a keen enough eye to actually identify one movie being better than another, so I’ll just say that AOE wins by merit of being most recent, and as far as I know not having duplicated character models.

Likable characters: Subjective, but I voteTF1. I genuinely liked Sam. I genuinely like his parents (his mom in the first, I like his dad in parts 1 & 2 – they were both terrible in part 3). I even liked Mikaela (though her doe-eyed asking Optimus ‘Why are you here?’ was Razzie-worthy), I liked Anthony Anderson, I liked the soldiers (their interaction on the plane was actually very good), I like Prime, I liked Megatron, I liked Starscream, I liked Barricade, hell, apart from Jon Voigt I damn near liked everyone, even W’s red socks asking to have a ding-dong wrangled up for him cracked me up a little. I damn near hated everyone in the sequels. For the sake of brevity (yeah, that ship sailed 10K words ago) I’ll refrain from explaining in detail, but like with the plot category, I really don’t think I need to explain why most of the sequel characters sucked.

Well, almost time for me to go home, and I can’t readily think of any other categories I’d like to evaluate, so I’ll wrap it up. As objectively as one person can make such a subjective comparison, the first movie was the best.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Once again the term "best" being confused with "least worst"...

• Like Like x 1
  14. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

i dont buy that transformers 1 is good only because of nostalgia & it being the first one, if that were the case it wouldn't hold up to the test of time & i can honestly say tf1 is still as good today as it was in 2007..the only depressing thing about it quite frankly, is knowing that what's to come next is nowhere near what we already got...

for example, starscream escaping into space was a GREAT scene but we all know he comes back as a shell of his tf1 self & does nothing of note before dying an embarrassing death, etc.

by all accounts, tf1 SHOULD have been the worst of the series, but it's still regarded by many as the strongest entry

15. MegatronsCannon

MegatronsCannon New Member

I feel TF1 is tye better film overall. The opening scene starting with Prime's dialogue about the Cube sets the stage and then Blackout closing the scene is pretty damn epic.
    The fighting scenes are much cleaner and less cluttered. The cgi was more realistic imo and Blackouts opening scene, scorpinocks desert battle and the mission city battle might be the best fight scenes of all the movies if not then they are certainly near the top of the list.
    I wish there was more dialogue amongst the transformers themselves though but it was a good flick imo

16. vatarian

vatarian Hive Princess

It kinda objectively is the best? Screech about opinions all you want, but TF1 had the least unnecessary bullshit, the most solid characterization, some of the best humor, and, imo the best utilized Autobots and Decepticons of all five movies.

It also managed to not contradict itself every other minute or shit on any particular Transformer repeatedly, which is a feat none of the sequels have really managed to match.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I definitely would agree that TF1 was the strongest overall film. The sequels have managed to effectively build on it occassionally (DOTM most of all, I would say), but all of them have fallen short in a lot of others.

18. Strawberrytop00

Strawberrytop00 Derpticon

I feel like if I had to list out my top scenes for each film…Film 1 would have the most. It’s biggest plus was you didn’t have to go ‘wait that goes against what was established in the previous films!?’ like you do with the rest of them.

It was a great start I think, Megatron was dead, but Starscream escaped making you think he was coming back with some heavy hitters like Soundwave, Shockwave, Devastator even. The Autobots had announced they were there so we’d expect more to show up. The possibilities were endless with where they could take it…but we got RoTF instead XD

I can see why DoTM is considered the best, but there was so many useless scenes, Sam looking for a job, Sam at his job, Sam wanting to matter (even though he wanted to be normal in RoTF), Sam , Sam, SAM! XD

To me it’s just wasted potential because Bay just had to kill all the Decepticons off, which sucks since DoTM was meant to be his last film, he had to have known someone would pick it back up so why did he have to go and make it hard for the next Director by killing off all the well known Decepticons? I mean can you imagine with a new director now, what we could get with fan favorite characters like Soundwave and Shockwave if they didn't die? We'll never know.

Starscream got killed by Sam (Which really ticked me off because I love Starscream and hate Sam lol ) Shockwave got owned by a parachute, and Soundwave got one-shoted by BumbleBee in what was barley a fight as there was too much going on.

The 07 movie still has its major flaws; The Autobots don’t show up till much later, Sam looking for the glasses in his room was probably one of the most stressful scenes I’ve even seen (I love the Autobots messing around in his backyard which is why I never fast-forward it, but Sam himself was just so ughh get on with it) Megatron got owned by a teen over Optimus. I still see the major flaw in ‘Hey lets hide this Allspark in a city full of people! That can’t be dangerous!’

19. sladeprime

sladeprime Check the earth. It might be Unicron.

News Credits:
    TF1 yes it is.

20. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

For me TF1 followed by DOTM. You can keep the other three.

• Like Like x 1