I notice this trend of Transformers toy releases.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blindspot77, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Blindspot77

Blindspot77 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I am not wrong, other than movie releases, the other releases seems like there is no smooth coherence or proper sequence in releases.

From Masterpieces to Normal Hasbro or Takara, in between series there could be a stop, a diversion or added version.

It makes collecting very frustrating.

I am new or maybe it is just me. Do share with me your views, bros, sis and veteran collectors.

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe this happens to allow Hasbro/TakaraTomy to 'focus'. For example, Generations is currently on hold (correct me if I'm wrong) so attention (marketing, production etc) can be given to the Movie toys.

Other lines like the Masterpiece line...there seems to be a no 'regular' periods of release. This may be attributed to the time needed to design and engineer the figure. So its a nice surprise when they are announced.

Yeah, I agree that sometimes its 'confusing' when a particular character can appear in a series where it has no 'history' of. E.g. would be Generations Lugnut, who made his first appearance in Transformations Animated.

IMO it would be good if you can decide which line you want to collect then start asking questions from there.

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    You know what i noticed.

Toy anouced people complain
    Toy showen people complain a ton more
    Toy showen in hand people get excited
    Close to release people complain its not out yet
    Toy releases people are over the moon and say how epic it is
    Later complain that its shelf waing
    Then complain how hard it was to get

4. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    But yes they stop start things to keep it fresh and to trick supplyers

5. Blindspot77

News Credits:
    Toy anouced people complain - Not me
    Toy showen people complain a ton more - Not me
    Toy showen in hand people get excited -Yes me
    Close to release people complain its not out yet - Not me
    Toy releases people are over the moon and say how epic it is -Yes me
    Later complain that its shelf warming - Not me, good cos after a while it will be on sale
    Then complain how hard it was to get - Yes me.

That kinda sums up my feel of it. But still, I find if every line stick a schedule and do not jump, start, stop or have something squeeze in between it will be nice.

If they want to suck consumer's money, wait till a while series are released, then make the different colour/moulding option. At least we have everything in the series before headache over if we should get that repaint or special version. Something along that line.

Anyway, think the exec at Has or Tak will not notice or care about this little gripe anyway.

6. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

i'v noticed the sudden poularity of the beast, right after the dinos release in foc, beast mode are making a comeback. it was weird. I thought my money was going to disappear. but then WOOP! a waspy and a rattrap? how'd that happen?

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    It is getting close to the 20th anniversary of Beast Wars. So perhaps Hasbro is making push to get kiddies on the beast transformers for future plans.

But really though, I'm not shocked by the recent beast transformer push. Take the Transformers Hall of Fame fan votes, Dinobot, Waspinator, and Beast Wars Megatron. That caught Hasbro's attention.

Another aspect is simply, it's something different on the pegs. Now there isn't an excuse of "But I already got you this one before." For awhile its been lump sided with Autobots as cars/trucks and Decepticons and flyers. Often which, it looks similar from line to line. Most parents won't really pay attention to Bumblebee as Movie or TFP, they just yellow car that the kiddie already had.

But they can't do that with say Waspinator or Scorn. There has been some reports now of the new movie Bumblebee and Crosshairs figures remaining on the pegs as Scorn and Slug keeps on going off them.

8. solusprime19

True, very true. I also notice that it seems Hasbro is sick of name reuses, so they are making some new names instead. some lame, some clever.

9. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's called horrible distribution and market saturation it's not a strategy it's a lack of ability of retailers to properly maintain their locations with product.

10. garethcroot

garethcroot Member

May be a good time for me unbox my beasts then. Dont have that many but they were my least favorite toyline

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there's a ton of rhinox on the shelves here, nothing else for voyagers. we never got waspinator though, i think it was a year or more before dinobot and cheetor left the shelf as well. the beasts don't sell here. all they mean to me is distribution full stop. (in my area at least)

12. Blindspot77

News Credits:
    Beasts War's Rhinox and Rattarp are beautiful. But I think it is not the cup of team for most collectors.

I have friends who do not like animals or dinobots, sadly.

13. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I like Animals, Heck I prefer them.

14. solusprime19

there the best kind..

15. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Other than cashing in on the movie hype (which appeals to broader and more short-lived fans as well), there's not really the same need to get other toys out on specific days. Sure, toys should be out to tie in to games/cartoons/etc, but there isn't the same do or die moment to cash in on.

That's not to say that distribution is perfect, mind you. But in the end these are kid's toys, and so the priority is just to have product on the shelves.

16. Blindspot77

News Credits:
    Fair enough that they can do what the feel right or without regular schedule or sequence.

But at least those $100+ Transformers for more serious collectors, they should the very least try to make life a little easier for us. Adult are very easy, if you make it easy for us, we will part with our money easily.

However, not caring much about collector's need, they are maybe pushing their off season main customers away.

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    They do make a semi-regular schedule for toys only it's Takara now Hasbro who operates that way. I think the problem is brand fragmentation.

18. Blindspot77

News Credits:
    Yep, come to think of it. Indeed it's brand fragmentation. Too many story arcs going on at the same time, and even more there are Comic and Movie version. That must be the main cause of the problem.

19. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    :lol  TF fandom in a nutshell!

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'd be quite happy if Generation Legions (beyond wave 1) were shelf warming it would mean Hasbro were serious enough about the theme to make a plentiful number of them.

Not heard of any Shelf warming Cosmos' yet though.