I need some advice from ex military, or current military people...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GuitarPrime1986, Dec 8, 2014.

1. GuitarPrime1986

GuitarPrime1986 Banned

Ok, so here are the details about me - I am going to be 17 years old on January 5th, I am about 5'9, I weigh about 230 pounds (I have been loosing weight recently), and male. I am in my third year of JROTC, and I am currently a cadet Sgt. 1st Class Squad Leader. My life goal is to become a member of the T.B.I, most likely a detective. Problem is, its hard to be recognized and to get into the T.B.I. I can go to Basic Training over this upcoming summer, and come back to start and finish my senior year of High School. Obviously, as I have previously stated, I am not the strongest, fastest, nor healthiest guy compared to others my age. I think that signing up for the National Guard in a month or so (when I am 17) will get me into the T.B.I rather easily. I plan on going to college for the T.B.I while I am in the National Guard after High School. My biggest fear, and the thing that is holding me back the most, is going through Basic Training. So...I need some pointers, especially if any of you are ex military, or are currently in the military - what do I need to do to get myself ready for Basic Training? Like...how many push ups, sit ups, and miles do I need to run in one setting to replicate the pain of Basic Training? If I can go through Basic Training at the age of 17...then I think I will be set for my entire life, considering how hard it is to get into the T.B.I. Thanks guys!

2. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Veteran

News Credits:
    Best advice I can give is don't think, seriously stop all thinking when and if you decided to go to basic training. Everything will be laid out for you, when, where, and what to do will be covered by your Drill Sergeants. Do what you're told, how you're told, and when you're told and you'd do just fine. As far as the physical aspect, the Drill Sergeants will take care of that for you :D .

3. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mentally, its gonna be tough for about two weeks. I actually wouldnt mind going back to basic, looking back, it was a pretty good time. Keep working out and physically pushing yourself. If im not mistaken, you have to be a certain weight for your height. You can do this. Its a challenge, but its certainly not impossible. Good luck.

Oh yeah, in basic, dont volunteer for anything.

4. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    A few things.. you have to get your weight down.. Allot. At age 17 to join the Army ( National Guard and Regular Army/Reserves all go by same weight standards AR 600-9)

At 5'9, aged 17 you have to weigh either no more than 184 lbs, or be less than 24% total body fat. These are ONLY join weights-ie you meet this standard to join, then you have to meet active duty standards ( even in the guard) after graduation. If you can't meet these standards, you won't be allowed to enlist, and if you attempt to join when your not close, you could get a 6 month ban from MEPS before you can show back up.

This is because the military right now can be extremely picky. Only 3 out of every 10 applicants who is eligible for military service right now is accepted into any branch of the military.

Second what MOS (JOB) will you chose? Combat positions do not attend Basic Training. Combat jobs attend One Station Unit Training, and since you are doing split op, if you do a combat MOS, you will more than likely go through 85-90% of the same training the year before, plus the advanced schooling. I say this from experience as I saw split ops guys who finished 9 weeks the year prior, were dropped back into week 4 of Infantry OSUT right after basic weapons qual.

Third - Don't join the military in attempt to reach other goals many years in the future for that point alone. Join because you want to join, and use the military as a stepping stone.

Also at 17 you have to have your parents sign off. No parent/guardian approval, you have to wait until your 18 because no one under the age of 18 can sign a military contract on their own. Plus if your under 18 you can't be in combat.

Joining weight - http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/l/blintweightmale.htm

Active Weight - http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blmaleweight.htm

5. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    The advice I have is to not mention your JROTC experience to anyone past your recruiter. Nobody cares, trust me. If anything, it will alienate you to others. It gives you this "holier than thou" attitude -especially in Basic, the playing field is level there so just keep your eyes forward and your mouth shut. And like Malach Ra stated, don't volunteer for anything.

6. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    please be sure to show up to basic and brag about how much jrotc taught you. they eat that shit up. you'll get all kinds of pats on the back.

7. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    See :p 

8. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Don't ever give up.
    You should wait and do Basic and AIT together. The split option gives you too much of a chance to slack off.
    Choose an MOS that will help you career wise. Choosing to be Infantry won't help much if you want to work in carpentry.
    Pay attention and do as you are instructed and you will be fine.
    {EDIT}
    Oh yeah, no one likes those ROTC kids.

Chuck

9. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I have no military experience so forgive me for jumping in with this question:
    Why no volunteering?

10. MetalicGrunt

News Credits:
    I'll attempt to explain using an old Japanese saying...Nails who sticks out gets hammered

In basic/Boot etc you don't make yourself a target. Once you graduate your training and are in the 'real" military, then you volunteer for everything you can, like schools, classes etc.

11. firehawc_69

News Credits:
    Our TI asked "Who likes to bowl?" Guy who raised his hand was made latrine queen.

Yeah, don't raise your hand.

12. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Figured it had to do with something like that lol. Thanks

13. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Lmao. I remember that. Poor guy thought he was gonna go bowling. Then someone else laughed so hard at that he let out a little fart. The were both made latrine queen and king. I was happily stuck with dorm guard monitor.

14. MetalicGrunt

News Credits:
    I was lucky enough to not get stuck with any ongoing details. I was however, that guy, who offered to do up laundry and shine boots. I think I walked out of Benning with like $600 in cash from 3+ months of "helping" out, lol.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Another big rule is, never under any circumstances try to be a smartass, our screw your platoon mates. For the next 3 months, they are your family.

I miss basic.. :( 

16. GuitarPrime1986

GuitarPrime1986 Banned

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, I already know my requirements weight wise to join, which why I mentioned I have been getting in better shape. Trust me, I know that JROTC isn't in the same ballpark as the actual military. However, my instructor might be able to get me in to the military two strikes up if I go to basic over the training, meaning I should go in as a Corporal. I will be bluntly honest here, even if I sound like a weakling doing so - What if someone can't do the push ups, or runs that their Drill Sgt. gives them? Then what happens?

17. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    They usually stand there, and berate you while they try to make you do them. At least, that's what happened when I was in :lol  It may have changed now, but I don't know. But all in all, if you really do fail at it all consistently, there's a possibility you're going to get washed out. I know that in the Air Force, they started having PT requirements. Those that did not pass, were let go. And these were Active Duty folks.

18. MetalicGrunt

News Credits:
    No you won't corporal as that is a NCO rank and in the army the majority of CPLs are in combat arms jobs. A CPL is someone who is in a leadership position such as team leader and are being set up for promotion to SGT. Well that's how my company did it with me after I earned my EIB. You'll come in no higher than private 1st class. You have to have a college degree or 'advanced skills' needed by the army to come in E4 or higher. You would be promoted to Spc after 24 months automaticly provided you don't screw up. If your high speed waivers exist to push it down to 18 months. And if your really high speed, you can get a waiver to Spc at 12 months, but you have to do something insane, like win the SGM award as a PFC at a school filled with sgts and above.

I also worked at meps as a civillian so I can tell you about all the regs regarding enlistment and advanced rank.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah SPC will be highest you'll get.

as for APFT requirements, if you dont pass:
    In Reception - you get sent to "Fat Camp", atraining group that helps get you into passable shape. You take a APFT every couple days or every week. You stay there til you pass or they eventually feel you cant make it and let you go.

In Basic Training - the only real one that matters is the last APFT. If you dont pass, you might have couple more chances before graduation. But if not or you cant pass, you'll get reshuffled to another BT unit that's in its last phase.

In AIT - like BT. couple changes if given or reshuffled.

As for during BT/AIT, if you cant do the push-up & situp, they'll get in your face, make an example, possibly make you do more. The run, they'll make your group turn around, run back to you, and start running again. Over and over til the end...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  20. thecollector

thecollector Will pet your dog

I have a few questions myself if you guys don't mind me joining in
    What's the gas chamber like? Seems rather terrifying, but simply because I've never actually encountered a gas like tear gas before.
    After inoculations, do you need to deal with needles at any point in basic? Seems strange that I'd join the military yet be afraid of a simple needle, but alas, I like to avoid them as much as possible or know I'll have to get one stuck in me in advance.
    How is adjusting to life in basic from a normal civilian life?
    How did you pick the job you ended up doing, or even the branch you joined?