Fan Art: I need help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Primaster, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Primaster

Primaster Active Member

I know youve probably heard this before but my cousin and i really want to make a transformers comic, and i know people might have come on here and said the same thing, but if anyone will take the time write back on this thread what you can do. Um, the name might be Transformer 21XX: Heros of the Future, my cousin wants Transformers Namcomuzie: Heros of the future, have no clue what a Namcomuzie is apparently its some machine. But nothings final any new idea will be welcome but i think we could really pull this off. the only sure transformers is i want a dodge tomahawk transformer, and i was thinking something like this for the next prime:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  2. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Pm:

A female Prime would be a great, creative idea, but I don't see much altmode kibble on her. Looks like there's a substantial amount of mass shifting going on, too. :D 

<serious mode on>

Why don't you join the Federation of Funnies Creators discussion group? Lots of people would be glad to help out.

Basically, come up with a plot, take pictures of your toys (or draw pictures, although the majority here are photocomics) and then make it like a comic.

Here's the group:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/groups/federation-funnies-creators.html

3. Primaster

Primaster Active Member

its not a female prime it was just a pic i found on the internet, the tank type thing in the background is what im talking about and thanks for the help

4. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

You'd probably get more information from the social group (like what AP suggested).

5. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he might have just meant the vehicle. :lol 

Were you planning on making this comic with your figures or were you planning to draw it all? I'm not sure there's a dodge tomahawk Transformer, and the closest one to the vehicle in that picture that I can think of is Animated Ultra Magnus. You could always customize the figures yourself or hire someone to do it for you, but otherwise you'll have trouble finding what you need if you're using your figures.

But yes, be sure you have a basic plot ready before you start, so you know where you will be going with it. The details may not matter as much, I usually don't think about them until I'm planning the next update for my comic. :) 

And like Autobus Prime said, most of the comics here are photocomics, but if you were planning to draw your comic that's fine! There are a few non-figure comics here, Torque's Headformers for example.

6. Primaster

Primaster Active Member

yea i went there and there hasnt been a post there in 4 days, i was planning on making up my own transformers, a new set of autobot and decepticons i just need more help because so far its just me and my younger cousin

7. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    Yeah, sometimes we just can't think of anything to talk about. :D  Doesn't mean we don't watch for someone to post!

I just looked up what a dodge tomahawk is, I think Animated Oil Slick is close in appearance to one of those.

8. Primaster

Primaster Active Member

9. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

that looks savagely awesome.

10. Primaster

Primaster Active Member

thanks for the complement because its been months maybe a year since ive drawn seriously

11. Primaster

Primaster Active Member

how do you get your pictures like this
    [​IMG]

12. Autobus Prime

13. Primaster

Primaster Active Member

is it done on computer

14. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    I'm not sure about the design, but I'm 99% positive the colors were at least done using an art program.

15. Thunder_Cracker

Thunder_Cracker Friendship is Evil!!

Well, it's done in many steps to be exact, computer related aswell

ofc, I'm speaking of mere experience and observation of what my friends do here and there, and what I've learned from the Radicon/Fan Art section

Basically, you need ALOT of practice to brush up your drawing skills (on paper that is, using pencil at first) with different poses and side views and such (I mostly start by drawing each item alone until I get it right, like drawing hands or feet, or the head, I don't draw the whole thing unless I'm sure of what I want the parts to look like)
    When you reach a level where you think you've done the best you could, make a full drawing of a robotic transformer, ink it using either dark black or dark blue pens to trace over the lines you drew (ofc the lines that make sense, and the detailing)
    Then, what I do is, scan those pictures to the computer and trace those using Photoshop (or Adobe Illustrator, whichever works, I choose Illustrator mostly)
    When done tracing, color them using Photoshop, giving them shading, reflections, etc etc

It's easier said than done, but all in all I can only offer you with those steps that I use, and the advice that you practice as much as you can because you really have a great idea here and I would love to see it work :) 
    You're drawing kinda resembles what I do, but you've got waaaaay better skills than me :p 
    So good luck with it and do your best!

Any questions and we'll do our best to help :thumb 

16. Autobus Prime

Pm:

It might have been hand-drawn, then cleaned up and colored on a computer. The important thing to remember is that the computer is only a tool, just like a pencil. The artist's skill is much more important than the tool used, and skill comes with practice.

Your partly finished Prime drawing shows a lot of potential. You've got a decent handle on the depiction of 3d shapes, and that's important. Finish that drawing, then draw another one. Each one will get better.

I think you're really asking us a different question. I think you've got a story kicking around in your head, and you want to know how you can bring that story to life, at your current skill level. The answer to that is - do it. Don't worry if it isn't perfectly polished, and don't worry that you're somehow "wasting" the idea if the art isn't 100% polished. Nobody starts out perfect, and once you get that one story down, you'll find that more ideas will come up.

Just do it! Draw it as well as you can, or use toys and make a photocomic. Understand your current limits, but always work to expand them,and find creative ways around them, in the meantime. Lots of us here have ideas you can use, and answers for specific questions. But to me it sounds like all you need is a little confidence. Go for it!

17. Thunder_Cracker

Thunder_Cracker Friendship is Evil!!

This!

Autobus speaks the truth :) 
    Couldn't have said it better myself, evne though I tried... >.>
    *throws arms around recklessly in anger and jealousy*

18. Primaster

Primaster Active Member

thank any help is needed

19. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    You really ought to read up on the basics of drawing. Learning scale, shading, angling, and perspective is huge so your stuff won't look so two-dimensional.

That drawing likely originated with a lot of structure lines that had to be cleaned up on the computer.

Something like this might seem tedious and basic, but that's similar to where the best artists I know started:

StarWars.com | Drawing R2-D2

20. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    This seems like a topic more appropriate to creative general discussion.