I Love It, You Hate It - TFSource Article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Occasionally we stumble across a Transformers toy that ticks all the right boxes, strikes a chord, presses the right buttons etc, and yet leaves a majority of others cold. There are plenty of unpopular figures in the Transformers toy universe, both official and otherwise. Some figures, however, were supposed to be game changers and all time greats that for some reason don’t fulfil their promise in the eyes of the majority. Even if the criticism is justified and I understand the hatred for certain Transformers toys, on a handful of occasions I have not had my own appreciation or enjoyment of them dampened. In each case, however, there have been mitigating circumstances.

I Love It, You Hate It | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 9
  2. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    Another timely article - nice one mate.

We're in this hobby for the love of it, nobody has to like or validate what I like, nor listen to my opinions on what works for them or not. Ultimately that's what freedom is. The freedom to choose and love what you love.

Celebrate that any chance you get.

• Like Like x 4
  3. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great article. I own both hasbro Smokescreen and prowl and I completely agreed that the transformation is pretty annoying but the result is amazing.
    :) 

4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Great article Maz!

Man that pic of all the repaints of the BH Smokescreen looks exactly like my experience with the mold! Well expect I don't have the Go! repaint but still, love that mold and Barricade is easily the best version.

As a collector I only collect things made by Hasbro (with some Fun Pub thrown in), I do my best to enjoy all that I have bought. I've said it before but I can find something to love about the 500+ transformers I own, despite a majority of the hate some of those figures have gotten... Yes even Prime Airachnid cause despite how crappy that robot mode is I love that helicopter mode.
    So while I know most people will hate, say, the CW Ark Autobots for example I still find joy out of them because hey CW Sunstreaker is my first very first Sunstreaker and I finally have an Ironhide for my CHUG shelf and he homages, with his alt mode Movie Ironhide, my first experience with the character!

Its all personal taste and hopefully one day some of the fans who crap on people's taste will understand that we all have different tastes that fit our own personalized collection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Good read and I do love how one fans trash is another fans treasure.

Personally I don't get all the hate for MP-09 - I mean I understand the frustrations with the QC on most copies but imagine a perfect version with no broken shin flaps or dodgy feet springs or scraping paint on the wings and you would have one of the most exciting Masterpiece figures of the lot. The engineering is astonishing and not to be sniffed at. Which is the main reason I love both it and the newer MP-28 - they are both great in their own ways.

[​IMG]
    MP-28 and MP-9

• Like Like x 2
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I feel the opppsite about Prime Prowl, i dont see a problem with the transformation but the chest dragging on the floor in carmode just maked this a totally un-fun altmode.

7. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great stuff, and glad to see you finally got hold of a Takara Rodimus Convoy.

8. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

A Transformer with a briefcase?? Someone's missing a chance to do a TF based version of the Pulp Fiction scene,..

9. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Great insight Maz, per usual.

Personally, I find the "mob effect" to take hold sometimes when it comes to hating on a figure....a TON of my favorite figures are ones that were met with lots of hostility, complaining, and general nitpicking.

I've learned to just enjoy reviews and whatnot for the excitement of watching a figure "do it's thing", as if I owned it....but sometimes I just have to watch them on mute. ;) 

10. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    It's very rare that I'll full-on HATE a figure. Like, the last time In felt disappointed in one was RotF Gears, and heck, I bet if I messed with him now, I'd probably think it's an okay toy. But I do tend to like ones that others/most don't like, Generations Windblade and CW Brawl.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor - Beast Wars 4 life

I was really happy to see some love for MP09 :)  I bought it with trepidation after trying out and selling DX9's Carry (Which I think is great too, but was not a fan of the studio ox aesthetic) Anyway, I was blown away by the figure, especially after the preponderance of negative backlash it recieved. Itreally is the perfect looking Rodimus Prime,qc issues notwithstanding.

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    "Your Mileage May Vary" indeed.. :lol 
    Great article, and insights as usual, mate. :thumb :

13. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

How apropos that MP Ironhide was mentioned when I just got one at TFCon. I know it gets flak for a handful of little niggles, but between the size, plethora of accessories, and the fact that the transformation is one long "Masterpiece Moment," I am extremely happy with it. (Seriously, how does that huge chunky van become such a slender robot??)

More to the point of the article, I'm one of the few who actually likes the Fall of Cybertron Combaticons. So much so the only variation I don't own is Ruination, which I plan to get eventually. I've even been told on this board that I'm basically "wrong" for liking them :rolleyes: 

14. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Your not the only one who likes the Combaticons. In fact I really like the Fall of Cybertron line in general. So many good figures! From Optimus and his Magnus repaint, Shockwave & Air Raid, heck a new and better Seeker mold! That line was just too much fun to collect and now I ended having all of them except Blaster's cassettes and Whirl.

I'd highly recommend you get the Wreckers, they are better then the Combaticons in my opinion. Heck its the first time we had a retail release of Impactor and the first Twin Twist since G1! I never got Whirl though, missed him when I saw him at the store but I did get Fisitron when Fun Pub made him and he looks really good with the other four I got... Still need to get Whirl though.

15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good article, but there was one essential aspect of "you love it, I hate it" that you didn't touch on and that I think deserves a full airing, and that's the recent trend in the Masterpiece line toward full cartoon accuracy. Many people applauded the matte, flat deco on the recently-revealed MP-36 Megatron, as well as the recently-released MP-14+ Alert, and to me it is just anathema. Where they see a devotion to animation accuracy, I see an under-deco'd, unrealistic, boring "toy," hardly worthy of the appellation "Masterpiece."

And I just don't "get it," which I think is one of the main reasons why there can be so much discord among we fans, this fundamental lack of understanding. I can totally see why some people might prefer a complex, fiddly transformation where others would want something simple; that seems very subjective, down to personal preference. But I would swear the same people who decry Hasbro's lack of paint apps are cheering Takara's lack of same, and it boggles my mind.

Unpainted headlights and taillights are considered lazy in Combiner Wars and Titans Return, but on MP-14+? They wouldn't have it any other way. MP Wheeljack, with his exquisite, real-world-accurate deco? Nuts to that (they say), bring on MP-20+! Which I can only imagine will be a mostly white car with a couple of stripes and paint blobs, not at all different from CW Wheeljack, which was reviled for its dull lack of deco.

I scratch my head in confusion. Perhaps someone can explain it to me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    Thirded! I think the FOC Combaticons are fun toys

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    @Ikkstakk: That's another whole other debate on the MP appreciation thread .. :lol 

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My own preferences often tend to run counter to a lot of people around here, as I generally prefer the general, basic toys over the more collector-oriented and/or over complex fare of many Masterpiece and 3rd Party items. I'm happy to eschew media accuracy if some other deco looks good to me.

For examples, I like my Grimlocks, Energon and FOC, who are on a lot of fans' shit-lists. While small, I like the brutish proportions and 'Wolverine claws' on the Energon toy, and I find the FOC toy fun-yet-flawed as well. I have Planet X Vulcun as well, and while it undoubtedly looks better than the official offering, it's kind of a pain in the ass to deal with, and the FOC/T30 toy is way more accessible.

While I don't find it bad, there's something that rubs me the wrong way about the Masterpiece Datsun mold and its busy-work transformation. After getting Prowl, I didn't feel like filling out the line with Bluestreak and Smokescreen.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Lavender - the most evil of colours...

News Credits:
    Like Feralstorm above, my preferences tend to run counter to most on these boards. I still love Alternators/Binaltech, the Masterpiece cars scratch the semi-faithful G1/Diaclone updates for me now, but I still love that these model cars can transform into some pretty good robots (some more than others though).

I maybe one of 12 people on the planet who enjoys RotF Mixmaster's transformation, I found it fairly intuitive, I bought both versions of the mould, and I always wished there were more.

Finally, I totally get why some hate MP-9 and some hate it. I love it, I have MP-9B, and yes the knees fell apart straight out of the box, but I fixed them, and returned it to it's glory. The transformation is a pain in the arse, but it's stunning in all 4 modes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

How about we all show some appreciation for T30 Blitzwing, which does a lot more than your average voyager, and most of it well?

At the same time, we climb back down from the praise for T30 Springer which doesn't tab together well, and the back halves of both alt-modes are illusion-spoiling eye-sore scrambles?

Yes, Springer beats Blitzwing, but not by the margin our hyperbole suggests.

• Like Like x 1