I lost a cat today...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deceptikitty, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    My cat Natalie spent nearly a week in the hospital last week. Her kidneys are failing. This wasn't news, but it's gotten a lot worse. It tore me apart to leave her there the first time and even more the second time when it was decided that her stay needed to be extended (and that if that didn't work, it was time to consider euthanasia). Oh, how I cried.

So I know where you're coming from on this. I've lost pets before, but it never gets easier.

Take care.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about that DK :( ...Let me know if there's anything I can do for you!

3. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Don't worry, I wasn't trying to pick on you. From reading one or two other post about outdoor cats, I felt I had to mention something. As a vet student, I hear enough stories of cats getting into fatal trouble outside. If you love you cats, keep them indoors. But then again, some cats are just stubborn about being outside. Then you're stick in a rock and a hard place. The best advice is never let them out.

4. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

Ah. I was confused there. I assumed you meant under. Still got some questions.

Although, if the cat jump on the sliding panels, I think there's a gap (not small enough for big things to go through) in the front, but as the panel slides down, the gap gets smaller and eventually closes. Also, the garage door (car door) shouldn't be able to slam down fast as you seem to describe unless it was unmotorized. They often have link chains that slows the decent of the panels for safety reasons (and in case there's something in the way, it'll have enough time to stop and pull back up. I don't know if the cat was stuck or not, but I think you would have heard it meowing. Either the cat tried the gap in front for escape or it was stuck. Otherwise, the cat could have easily jump back down on the boxes. I would check the door again if I were you.

I don't have any pets ('cept fish, they are cool too) so I haven't been in your situation. I can't really say I know how you feel for your loss, so I hope you'll accept my apology. Sorry.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Holy shit, dude. What is wrong with you? Now is absolutely not the time for that kind of a post.

How about you just express your sympathies and keep your unnecessary advice to yourself.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

SC's right man, you're going to make DK feel worse MB.
    Think about what your saying before you type it

Sorry about your cat DK :( 

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  7. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

Having lost a dog 5 years ago (to very old age), I offer my condolences to you on the loss of your cat.

8. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

That type of comment is uncalled for. :throw 

Give Deceptikitty a break please.

9. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

Which is exactly why you shouldn't have said/asked what you just did. Pardon my language. But, I mean what the fuck!? How would you feel if it were one of your family members?!

Sorry DK :/

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitty. We have 5 ourselves. Had 6 up to last year but lost one to cancer. They are more like our kids than pets so we know how bad it can hurt to lose one, especially if we feel some form of guilt for it. You always feel like you should have done something different. It's a little easier when you see it coming though. YOu have time to prepare. In your cas you got blindsided by it, and that's much worse. He was a georgous cat though. Again, I'm sorry.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sorry about that, I am huge animal lover with cats of my own. Losing a pet is always sad. But freak accidents do happen. :( 

12. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    MB...I know you weren't trying to be insensitive, but its really really bad form to sit there and graphically analyze exactly how someone may or may not have died right there in front of their grieving family members. You don't have ANY need to know the technical details. All that's your business is to give sympathy to the grieving family member.

And Hotspot17 - really bad form to criticize the grieving person like that. Wait for a better time.

--Moony

13. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    My comments were not directed at DK at all. It was in response to some of the cat stories in this thread. My comments were meant to educated pet owners to prevent their cats from getting hurt. A lot of people believe it's ok to let their cats out. Outdoor cats are at risk of infectious diseases, car accidents and god knows what.

14. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ that's understandable, but some people, like in my case, don't have the option. My father is allergic, and although he cared about all our cats, couldn't have them indoors. They lived in our garage and outlying property, we own over an achier and a half so they had a very large "home".

15. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

*taps finger-tips together* This is image I'll throw up on my desktop whenever I'm having a bad day.. It's something you can NOT look at and not smile.

:{ DK I give you a digital corgi army. <3
    [​IMG]

16. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I totally understand about the outdoor animals thing. Cheeto was the only one who wanted to be indoor/outdoor, and he would meow forever until he got what he wanted. I never let him out, but everyone else did. My other cats are indoors only.

And I still can't explain the garage thing, but he must've tried to run the wrong way. I don't want to dwell on it, because then I remember the last seconds. It's horrible, and I'm absolutely miserable. I love my animals like they were my own children, and I never expected something like this to happen. I'm accepting that he's crossed the Rainbow Bridge, but the only thing that's stuck in my mind are those last seconds I had to witness. No human being should ever see things like that. I'm still too scared to actually go into the garage, because of the memories. The idea that what had just happened was irreversible, and that I had to watch in horror as my animal died. It was quick, but it felt like eternity. I may be whiny and overly sensitive right now, but when it comes to animals (especially my own) it really traumatizes me when stuff like this happens.

And Talathia, thank you for the pack of Corgis. :)  It really made me smile.

I'm thinking about getting another cat once the pain fades for this loss, because I think it will make the pain less and distract me from the sad thoughts. We get Cheeto's ashes on Tuesday, and I'm going to make a little memorial for him.

17. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only comfort i can give is that it will get easier over time, and remembering that he obviously was loved and had a good life.

I've wanted a corgi ever since i watched Cowboy Bebop. Cute lil suckers.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That sucks, one time one of my cats got hit by a car, I found her in the street with a shattered skull and she was still alive, luckily not for long - I got very drunk that night.

19. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm so sorry to hear this. The same thing almost happened to my old cat about 2 years ago.
    If you are thinking about getting another cat I would suggest getting one right away. It may sound totally weird but it really will take your mind of Cheetos passing.

20. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Aren't these the same risks that people are exposed too lol. Seriously though, just giving advice that cats should be kept indoors is just not correct no matter your vet training. City and high traffic areas certainly cats should be kept in, though suburbs and country areas the outdoors are actually beneficial for the cats mental and physical health. Cats need the outdoors just like any other animal.