Customs: I have a few customization questions

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Scarlet knight, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Like the title said i have a few questions

I want to repaint a Siege Starscream or Thundercracker into Skywarp and I'm thinking of switching to airbrushing. what airbrush should i get? and what paints should i get?

I want to remove the pins and i don't know what size pin punches to get any recommendations?

Edit: i have another question i plan on repainting Jurassic world amber collection Blue into 1998 Godzilla what paints should i use?

Amazon links are appreciated

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  2. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 Hoping for spontaneous disintegration

I'll bump this because I'm curious on punches, as well. Same project, just with rattle cans mainly lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What airbrush is a pretty big question. Honestly I would just grab an inexpensive one from a hobby store or amazon. Start out with cans of compressed air and, if you decide you want to go all in on airbrushing, you can get a compressor later. As for pin punches, my experience is that most action figure pins are 1.5mm.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  5. stephenotes88

stephenotes88 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_2020-03-22_171231.jpg Screenshot_2020-03-22_025957.jpg

There's the roll pin punch which I have, it's 1/16inch which is 1mm. It's the one size fits all pin to get every known pin out of a transformer since there are no other pins smaller than 1mm used in those toys. I just use a small hammer and a hard surface like my garage floor and give it a few hard taps then pull it out with pliers. I don't use my desk to hammer out pins because my family makes a nuisance out of the noise.

The other one is a genius invention which is basically it pushes pins out as you turn the knob. I never bought one myself but it seems like it would save alot of effort.

Also just make sure you're pushing the pin out from the correct side and not the diamond furled side if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 4
  6. SWAGE66

SWAGE66 Hoping for spontaneous disintegration

@stephenotes88 Excellent! I actually have a watch link remover, which doesn't really help if you can't fit whatever the pin is on inside the little gap there. Do you use any sort of heat source before you start pounding away?

7. stephenotes88

stephenotes88 Well-Known Member

I think you can remove the bottom part of the watch link remover to reveal extra space so you can fit the part inside so it'll reach the pin punch. I don't know what yours looks like. And no I've never had to use heat on removing pins unless it was a capped metal pin like how they do for attaching wheels to transformers and there's no other side to push the pin from.

• Like Like x 1