I hate what they did here.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bman, May 16, 2014.

1. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    this fandom is nothing but whiny ungrateful fans that are never happy

it has always been that and it will never change

arguing over it does nothing. be it you love or hate the movies, the fandom will NEVER be happy

2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm getting tired, my tablet's running low on charge, I'm going leave for now with saying "This is my logic, it makes sense to me." You guys can give me all the money statistics you want, or say their different kinds of fans or whatnot, but none of that changes the fact that one of these videos has bad comments, one has good comments.
    Honestly, some of the logic your using today...and yesterday...seems so convoluted, or stretched it doesn't even make sense to me, repeating the same thing again and again, or your just resulting to low, irrelevant insults instead. On the other hand, I'm giving clear explanation, and logic behind my posts, and evidence to support it, something that none of you have produced to prove that the movies have a better reaction.
    I'll be on again in the morning.

3. BeeOtch217

BeeOtch217 Ha Ha You're a Mini-Con!

News Credits:
    You should have been here when Hound's head on a large stick (what they use for the VFX) was spotted on set. Everyone went apeshit! :lol 

4. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

Hound has a beard and a cigar?

Big fat hairy deal. :|

5. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

Thats what Im saying! People need to just be glad Hound is finally getting some attention. :) 

6. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    dude.. you're like what.. 15 years old? come on.

you know practically nothing about this franchise compared to a lot of people on here. yet, you think you know everything.. all of your opinions are based on watching G1 on dvd and seeing the movies. i'm sorry, but you just haven't experienced enough or know enough about this franchise to have a properly formed opinion.

you can talk about comments from people on this board and yadda yadda yadda.. but the fact is.. these movies are intended to have MASS APPEAL, do you understand what that is? it's when a lot of different people like something, not just a niche group of transformers fans.

these movies have MASS APPEAL. and while the games are good, and people like them, judging by the money made between the games and the movie, there's no contest.

the live action movies were made because of us (in part) .. but they weren't made for us.

and for the life of me i can't figure out how you could possibly have such a major problem with the movies. like i said, your transformers knowledge consists of G1 and the movies. now.. no one can argue that the writing in one is better than the other. .. and we've already gone over the fact that transformers characters looks and personalities change ALL the time.. that's a fact. so, it's just odd to me that someone like you would have such a beef with the movie. (and no, "someone like you" isn't an insult.. and guess what, not everyone is trying to insult you, so give it a rest)

anyways, i've said it before, i'll say it again.. you're the kind of person who always thinks they're right.. no matter what anyone says, or whatever proof there is to the contrary.. you're always right. sort of like a conspiracy theorist, they know the truth, and anyone who tries to tell them otherwise is just part of the conspiracy.

7. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

I'll trow my two cents in here for the time being. What we see here is a problem of generalization, he is using a couple of video's (probably edited game footage) with each maybe 20-30 negative comments to make a generalisation towards all the transformers franchise. You cannot use those 20-30 comments on one video to make a claim that says "all transformers games receive better comments than the movies". All that could be said in this case is that there are 20-30 negative comments on that particular video on youtube.

Yes, opinions matter, but they need to be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to making general claims and pure quantitative information. If you look at all the videos available on youtube, make a cross-section/content analysis of all the comments available and then make an analysis of all the socio-demographic variables of all those posters, only then you could say something like: "all the people who have commented on youtube (aged xx years, xx% male, xx% with that degree etc...) think/feel this way about this franchise. Even if you have all that, you can only make a general claim about that sample on that particular video.

The posters responding here are not saying you are wrong, you are perfectly correct stating that you get the vibe that there is more negative/positive comments. But that is your vibe, this does only means that the few comments you read of all the comments made are negative/positive. It would be better to say: "comments I have read were negative/positive" and not "the comments I read were negative/positive, this will probably mean the general consensus is positive/negative".

This is the general difficulty I encounter in my master strategic communication and in the media research we conduct. We can never make general claims as there is a giant media chasm, not everyone has a connection to internet and not everyone who does, uses it to comment. The only thing we can do is making claims about the comments we read, and that's that. It would be much better in this case to use the like bar, people are more likely to make one click stating I like/dislike, it is a far better effort to start writing a comment. The like bar is a slightly less biased way to measure these things, but keep in mind that this can only be used for, again, that particular video and the that particular sample of people who clicked the like bar! There are a lot of fans who just watch the video and the shut and close the window.

I'll stop here for now.

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    The fact that you do not understand what is being said even though it has been repeated several times is a reflection on noone but yourself. You are not providing evidence or logic for anything, because you still do not understand what actually constitutes evidence, despite everyone's best efforts to educate you.

You are being given very good information by qualified researchers and statisticians, but think that your teenage guesswork is somehow as relevant.

Let me explain in very simple terms for you. If you still not understand, I don't see what hope there is for you.

SUMMARY

1. Your idea that a small sample is representative of a large population is simply incorrect. It is not a matter of opinion, you do not get to argue it.

2. Your idea that youtube comments are a neutral place where everyday people discuss media is simply incorrect. It is not a matter of opinion, you do not get to argue it.

3. Your concept of 'average people' is incorrect, the 'average person' does not exist. That is not a matter of opinion, you do not get to argue it.

4. Your bombastic claims such as 'almost everyone has a youtube account', 'noone has ever done a study on this', , 'most kids grew up with the movies' 'movies are more popular than games' 'people generally don't do these things with games', etc ad nauseum are pure wild speculation, based on NOTHING.

5. Your idea that Hound's beard and cigar are no good is your own opinion. You do not get to argue it as fact, BUT you do get to state that it is your opinion.

DETAIL

So in response to your request for more detail:

What you need to bear in mind is the overall population size. Based on DOTM box office figures there will have been in the region of 200,000,000 people viewing the movie, and a wider number still who have an opinion but did not see the movie.

So that's alot of people.

There are standard mathematical formulas used throughout all industries to calculate what percentage of that 200million+ you would need to gauge the opinion of to be able to be sure that it wasn't just coincidence.. it gives you a precise number, with a percentage margin of error either side. Below is a very simple step by step example of how it is calculated, with examples pictures and everything, so please either

1. just take our word for it or
    2. follow the steps in the guide to calculate it for yourself, using a very conservative population size of 200million and sample size of the number of commenters on the video: http://www.wikihow.com/Assess-Statistical-Significance. If you are uncomfortable with calculating standard deviations, perhaps just leave to people who know what they're talking about.

But to save you some time, here's a hint: 30 comments is not . Even the entire set of comments on either video has precisely zero statistical significance. ZERO. it means NOTHING. In a similar way to the fact that me flipping a coin once and getting a head has precisely ZERO effect on what it will be the second time I flip it.

Next - you cannot have 'an average person', the 'average person' does not exist, and is statistically irrelevant. You are -always- dealing with specific demographics.

Most people DO NOT comment on youtube videos. Of the billion unique users per week that Youtube has, only 100m of them take any kind of social action. So that's 10% of youtube users. And that covers all social actions, such as subscribing and liking.. the numner of people who actually go as far as comment will be a much smaller number again.

In the case of people who comment on the WFC video, you're looking at comments by people who:

1. Are tech savvy enough and are heavily invested enough in YouTube to have an account
    2. Are frequent enough social media interactors to want to interact in any way
    3. Have a strong enough opinion to make a comment rather than a like
    4. Are big enough fans that they're watching a video before the marketing campaign kicks off

So I hope you can see how absurd it is to try to extrapolate the ideas of those people onto the wider population is nothing short of absurd. Looking at those youtube comments tells you one thing and one thing only: it tells you what the opinions of that small number of individual people are. That's it, nothing more, it cannot be applied to anything else. For all you know, the negative comments could all be from a highly vocal tiny minority.

Lastly, that point about about your bombastic claims. You have never seen any data to support these ideas. How do you know that any of that is 'generally' what happens? How many people have you surveyed? I can tell you exactly how many people you would need to survey, see the above point on statistical significance. There are some things that are laugably wrong even just on the surface. You claim that movies recieve mixed or negative reactions, and cite that Dark of the Moon trailer as 'evidence' of that, based on a few comments. Try looking at another metric, immediately next to it - likes.

So. Your entire argument is based on the idea the reaction that youtubers have. DOTM has 65,530 likes, and 3,614 dislikes. Of anyone that felt strongly enough to voice an opinion either way, 94.% liked it, 5.5% disliked it. Hardly even what I'd call a mixed reaction, let alone a negative one.

In all, please remember this - if you think you're right and everyone else says you're wrong, perhaps you're actually wrong, especially when the people telling you that are people like Ring3r and Rhinox007, people who have both studied and practised the field for many years. By not accepting their expertise you are insulting them and making yourself look stupid.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Now im hoping Prime grows a beard.

10. BeeOtch217

BeeOtch217 Ha Ha You're a Mini-Con!

News Credits:
    Yeah then he'd look like Sentinel Prime! lol

11. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Oh my lord, well IMHO I like Hound, if that is what the topic is still on about....

12. samurai drift

samurai drift Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow 34 pages :popcorn 

Is there going to be a thread name I really freaking hate what they did here again

13. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Make his red darker, swap his blue for purple, and he can be Alpha Trion.

14. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

I thought this thread died?

15. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Well, I didn't see this one before...

The cy-gar is silly, it was silly with Kup, which is why I love it, so the cy-gar is OK.

The face has that metal hairy beard thing going on. I respect the beard. I have to. But it sure does look like a bizarre chainsaw carving.

16. sawwheeler

sawwheeler Gundam Meister

It was apparently brought back.

17. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    "Do not hotlink images -2005 staff"

That's all I see in this thread.