I got the New Optimus Prime Gen, in Brazil

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by osenator, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    I think there are two major reasons that this line bothers me

First is the size, when the toys are this large, and have such a simple transformation, there is very little excuse to be lacking such a basic point of articulation, especially when it wouldn't affect the transformation

But what truly gets to me is the MSRP, at 10$ I'd be more than willing to forgive lack of articulation, but at 20$ there are soooooooo many other competing products one could get for themselves or their kids, who's perceived value/playability is IMO, greater than this lines

Take for instance the recent 20$ one step and three step figures, while I can't speak for your area, I know they've been clogging the shelves here, because at that price its not something most might pick up "just because", simply because there are so many better things you could get at that price, and for 5$ more you can get a voyager

This is just my take on it, and in my opinion, the shortcomings are only exacerbated when you look at the price, size, and lack of complexity

Oh and to those saying "kids won't care", I feel like its going to vary case by case, just because you didn't care, doesn't mean they won't, especially considering that they are growing up in the age hyper-articulation

consider this, since 07 transformers as a brand has been trying to be all things to all people, yet for the price of a knee joint they just managed to alienate parts of a demographic (granted a smaller one) that have disposable income, what kind of business sense does that make?

2. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How are they alienating a demographic when they put out like 2 months ago a real Voyager Optimus for older fans?

3. Massasoit

Massasoit Combicon

Thanks for all the pics and video, osenator. I don't think any one would blame you for not wanting to get the huge Bumblebee, but I for one would be very interested to see how he stacks up to Prime.

4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    At the rate we're going, though, $20 will only get you a 5-6 inch deluxe figure. Compare that to a toy double the size who is only comparatively missing A) a weapon and B) knee joints. Parents look at the price and buy according to perceived value. If a parent values "large toy" over the lack of those two things, then this will be bought instead, plain and simple.

In other words, this toy isn't for adult collectors. It's for parents to buy their 9 year old a large Optimus Prime that doesn't look like a baby toy and feel like they are getting a value.

5. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    i want the knees of the optimus. it is said they cannot be taken, they can only be given.

6. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    would also like to see head on super mode cw optimus.

7. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That head sculpt is possibly the best Prime head i have seen in a very long time!

May pick him up, other than no knee's he looks pretty cool and will look great on a Prime shelf.

8. Olymprix

Olymprix Moonwalkin' on the Ceiling

News Credits:
    As awesome as it looks, I don't think I'll bite. If Battalion Starscream doesn't have knees, though, I'll be pretty upset, 'cuz he makes for a perfect IDW F-22 Starscream.

9. silvershamrock

silvershamrock Well-Known Member

The hollow forearms and stance remind of me a happy meal toy. Just bigger.

10. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

You clearly haven't seen very many Happy Meal toys lately.

11. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Someone gets it!

Same reason Titan Heroes have been so successful: parents see a $10 (or now, $13) 4" figure vs a 12" figure for the same price, the bigger figure is a better perceived value.

12. stormbringer251

stormbringer251 Well-Known Member

I think it looks pretty good all things considered. The head sculpt looks better than CW Prime,and size wise,he'll fit better with Megatron.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I just find this so baffling. I don't think i'll bother with it.

14. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    I sure didn't toss my Ninja Turtles in the trash for having no knees. Hell, they didn't even have elbows. Did He-Man toys have knees? I don't recall but I think not. Those old rubber WWF figures? They had NO articulation anywhere. But did I still love my Hulk Hogan rubber blunt weapon? Fucking A. Another toy line where many toys lacked knees or general basic articulation was... Transformers. Huh, weird. Not all kids, past or present, are hung up on this.

The important thing is that these transform.

15. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

:thumb  this guy gets it

16. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    I disagree, I was speaking about MSRP not dealer mark up, just because some places charge 20$ for a deluxe does not make it the MSRP, and again if we are talking about an unplanned purchase, 20$ is pushing it,also the child themself will (in many cases) be the one presenting what they want to the parent, either in store or at home, at which time the parent will decide if they can get it, and I cannot count the number of times I've overheard the parent talking down the child to a lower price point

I also never said they were intended for collectors, simply that they could have broadened the demographic appeal with the inclusion of knees, no, I don't know why they went this route, but it is very strange to me that they cut out such a standard point of articulation,

And while I'm sure some parents may get something just because its "big" that hasn't stopped the Titan figures from warming the shelves, or the large simplified figures, and again I'm not saying they are meant for us, just that they shouldn't cut back on such basic articulation "just because" they think kids won't care, when they can cover all their bases and more if they simply had the knee joint

Now if they cared to enlighten us why they went in this direction I would give them a lot more leeway, but I know that's not likely to happen, also I feel like I need to say that its fine if others like this, these are all just my opinions and thoughts, and I'm not rooting for it to fail, I just genuinely do not understand why they would cut out knee articulation on such a large figure, regardless of the intended demographic

And since we're all throwing out our own childhood preferences in, there is a reason I never got any Star Wars figures as a kid, and its because their articulation was HORRIBLE, and they just looked like a stupid choice next to a transformer

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Can we get off of the knees and on to the fact that this thing is the worst truck ever?

18. GreednGluttony

Truck mode looks cool to me

19. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    ...I think this guy looks good.

(Runs away and hides)

20. GreednGluttony

Right behind you :confused2