I feel the impression that the movie humanoid designs started with sentinel

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by GrimlockPrime19, May 14, 2021.

1. GrimlockPrime19

GrimlockPrime19 I always have the high ground

There is something special in Sentinel's design. With the V format his shoulders make, the truck stuff that look like wings in his backs, and his design overall look like an armor, a king armor. His design looks so primordial that he makes the other bots in the movie looking inferior. Optimus design looks more hero like instead of leader/king like, and him next to Sentinel looks weird. It's like they don't match the same design line, bcs Sentinel doesn't even look like an Earth vehicle.
    While it looks like Knight Prime matches his design line. It looks like both wear an armor, they have a knight/warrior design, very complex tho, they don't have the weird feet fingers and it doesn't look they turn into trucks. Tbf, it doesn't look like they have Earth alt modes, both look more cybertronian. I believe Knight Prime would look better next to Sentinel than trilogy Prime

So, what do you think of Sentinel design? I believe it's the best of the trilogy with TF1 Megatron being a good 2nd, and Optimus in 3rd
    20210514_233739.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I would say AOE Prime has a true humanoid aesthetic as in having the curves and shape that match a real human body. Sentinel is more like a traditional Transformer with his large blocky parts. I absolutely love his design. I've said this before but Sentinel Prime could fit right into the Bumblebee movie aesthetic and it wouldn't look out of place. No other Bayverse design is quite like it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GrimlockPrime19

Hum, maybe he wouldn't look weird with BB, Shatter and Dropkick, but next to any other BBM bot he'd look weird, bcs they are too boxy
    I also think that the Optimus what would fit with Sentinel's aesthetic would be Prime1 OP by Josh Nizzi. He's also a good balance in humanoid robot and a transformer, which is what I say SP is too
    Aoe Optimus is just an humanoid bot, with no characteristics of a transformer (but it's still a very good design)

Attached Files:

4. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Excessively Angry Decepticon

I definitely think the transition to smoother, curvier, more organic designs is something that was slowly happening throughout all the films. ROTF made all the Decepticons look more insect like, but most of them still had a lot of vehicle kibble. DOTM is where the emphasis on curviness, uninterrupted by kibble began, with designs like the Dreads and Dino and to a lesser extent, Megatron and Sentinel, however more traditional designs were used for the Wreckers and Que (although all of them had heads designed to look like they were wearing caps and shades or had hair and in Leadfoot's case was even fat and had a visible butt). AOE is simply the point where, outside of the generic KSI drones, all the fully original designs were largely curvy and kibble-free, with very human-esque faces. It was probably helped by how little older designs were used. If you judge DOTM by only it's new designs, it'd look a lot like AOE, it just had lots of older designs still in use.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  5. GrimlockPrime19

I can agree about many, except the new Autobots. They still had as much kibble as the other robots, Dino may change format of his pieces, but he still has much kibble. But the Dreads, Megatron, Sentinel and Shockwave don't have much kibble at all. I still don't know how that Megatron turns into that truck. But, well, some of them didn't look humans but were rid of kibble. Now Sentinel's face was literally based in the face of his voice actor.
    I think the only thing exacly like Sentinel in later movies would be Crossharis, which used his kibble as a cloth and looks very human

6. DarkAxalonSyde

I'm not really sure what you mean by Dino changing the format of his kibble. If you mean it contorts into unrecognizable shapes, then I don't think that's really all that different from the AOE designs. The only easily identifiable kibble on Dino are his door wings and his headlights.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GrimlockPrime19

No no you are right. I was thinking about Dino SS and 3P figure then I saw the 3D model. His situation is not alike of Aoe Bumblebee. I like both designs tho

8. DarkAxalonSyde

I thought that might be the case. Plenty of people make that mistake, I just spend a weirdly large amount of time going over what images I can find of the CGI models. Also, I do like both Dino and AOE Bee's designs as well. There's something almost ninja-like with their designs that looks really cool.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GrimlockPrime19

True (I just don't see ninja stuff in Bumblebee. But I can feel it from Dino)

10. DarkAxalonSyde

I think it might just be the sleekness of him, even when compared to the other AOE 'Bots. Optimus is given a more muscular look with some knightly elements, Drift is covered in samurai armour and Crosshairs has his trench coat. All Bee has is some weird shuriken-looking things on his back (which probably adds to why he looks like a ninja to me, as well as his mask covering his whole face).

• Like Like x 1
  11. GrimlockPrime19

Even with the armor stuff, I think Drift design line looks more a Trilogy design than any other aoe bot

12. DarkAxalonSyde

I think it's specifically because of the armour, since it gives him larger metal plates than a lot of a the other AOE designs, which mostly have their metal broken up into tiny slivers. That and Drift has a car-chest. In fact, that's the only time an AOE Autobot has a large chunk of their vehicle still intact on their robot mode. Well, more like has a bunch of parts of that section of the vehicle that stick close together, so it keeps the general look.

13. Furnace

Furnace Antroid at a picnic

I think a point that makes Sentinel Prime's design especially noteworthy is that it pulls off the "ancient knight" aesthetic by making clever use of the truck parts rather than obscuring them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Sentinel balanced the human and alien robot really well. But I believe Que gave way to the obvious human faces

• Like Like x 4
  15. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    With Soundwave turning from a satellite in ROTF into a humanoid car in DOTM, it looks like the alien designs were being phased out and replaced with more identifiable/relatable human designs at that point.

16. GrimlockPrime19

Yh, but Sentinel face wasn't that good. Tbh imo that's the low point of his design. Transformers with beard, so human like faces, I really don't like that. Something cool some Bayverse and even some Travis designs did was giving a proper face to the cybertronians, instead of a human metal face. It's so horrible, for example Crosshairs, Drift face, Galvatron and Hound. Sometimes this idea is cool, like with Knight Optimus, which is a beautiful face no homo lol, but the others were so ugly. I'd rather if Sentinel had a face plate, like in the comic
    A Origem de Megatron 23.jpg

The cool about the first trilogy designs is that they looked aliens, just like they should, they looked complex, advanced, and they were not ugly at all. But some were so much ugly, like Decepticons looked insects. I feel the design line Shatter and Dropkick went is what we need, bcs by looking to them you wouldn't be able to say they are Bots or Cons, and they look robots, aliens, not humans.
    But look out, some G1 fan or a TFP fanboy may be angry bcs he wants metal human faces

• Like Like x 3
  17. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus @DiddlyDipstick on Twitter

sentinel prime.jpg
    I really like this design because it perfectly invokes the image of a goatee, but it still uses solid metal pieces instead of the gross dangly wire beard that the final Sentinel Prime design used. The face also has a less humanoid appearance, and uses a lot more angles than the rounded pieces that make up most of the faces in the later movies' designs.

• Like Like x 4
  18. GrimlockPrime19

It'd have been a way better design

• Like Like x 2
  19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Sentinel definitely set a bad precedent, but I think the design itself is wonderful. It has just enough flat, solid shapes that even with the reduced vehicle kibble it still inherently looks like a Transformer, and his very humanoid face was the perfect contrast to the typical monster mug villains like Megatron. By looking so kingly and human, it juxtaposed his role as a villain, as well as giving him a lot more emotion despite his limited screentime. I especially like how he does resemble Optimus in many ways, as if there's a familial link, but Sentinel is simply more refined and sophisticated. He's "neater," almost like his "model" was of a higher standard than Optimus'.

Problem is his design sensibilities were carried over to characters they simply did not work with, and while we did get more human designs with less kibble, they critically forgot the part about being more simplistic and cohesive, and the human faces became too human. Sentinel had a human face, but his features were not 1:1. He didn't have a literal human nose, or literal human eyes. Closest he had was his beard and lips, but overall his face was still made of those more robot layered shapes. Hound and Drift, by contrast, are just metal people faces. Round, smooth, with the anatomy of a human face, down to things like having eyelids, nostrils, or a septum. Features that make zero sense on a robot this style and pass thoroughly into uncanny valley. They also have much more "mess" in their bodies. Sentinel may have lacked a lot of kibble, but what was there was pretty easy to pick out given how generally clean his design was. Big, unbroken wheels in his torso and legs, the windows on his chest always gleaming, the various panels with marking or ventilation holes. Comparatively minor things, but all very noticeable and effective in still conveying the "yeah, this guy transforms, I can buy that" verses virtually all the AOE designs that muddle the tiny bits of vehicle kibble there are in more tiny bits of non-kibble robot junk. It took me a while to realize Lockdown's headlights are actually on his back, because they aren't attached to any piece of fender or anything, and look like just more robot junk. Ditto Crosshairs who has the Corvette headlights and even part of the front incorporated into his chest and shoulders, but they're so diced up and awkwardly assembled it's hard to know what they are unless you're looking for them.

It's like the wrong lessons were learned from Sentinel, and the right ones wouldn't be picked up until the BB movie. Let's just hope they stay on the right track.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GrimlockPrime19

I mean, Sentinel is a paste and copy of his voice actor Leonard Nimoy
    IMG_20210515_152916.jpg

One thing I don't like is the big nose they put on him. I mean, why? Most robots don't have nose and they don't need one lol

I always feel it. But I feel like Knight Prime has a less low standard next to

What would they be exacly? A balance between complexity and kibble like Shatter and Dropkick?

And I gotta ask: where is Lockdown in this story? In the same boat of most AOE bots?
    Bcs well, he does have some kinda of human face, but I don't say it was bad for him. Actually, I think that fit. And his body doesn't look so human like, it's still very robot, I'd say he's the nearest to Sentinel design in Aoe, but still it doesn't look like he turns into a lamborghini. But imo he's the least bad in that movie