I don't understand the G1 Comics popularity

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Thundercrackers, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Phase... Two. Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I just started reading the Marvel comics, for the first time, and I'm actually enjoying them a lot more than I was expecting.

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    That was only one issue and at a time when Budiansky just got burned out from writing the comics that he no longer cared much about them.

3. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    Yeah bit that was for legal reasons with Takara and using a (bandai?) product.

4. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

You singled out all the 3 most popular bad things in the entire run. I'm not sure if you're trolling, but your post sound more like a copy paste from old discussion boards than an actual reflection on the subject.

Read from #1 to #12 and tell me about it.

5. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Though short, the comics really have this grit and style that catches me. Take Straxus for instance. A non-toy and comic exclusive character becomes a part of the toy line decades later. He seriously left a mark on Decepticon tyranny. And the two Wreckers, Roadbuster and Whirl were the dynamic duo of dark, wry grit.

Fact is, it's about grit. We also know more that Swoop was the original Divebomb before the Predacon Divebomb stole his name!

Didn't we also get treated to Bounty Hunterrrr, I mean, freelance peace keeping agent Death's Head as well?

Heck, Impactor left a stronger impression amongst us when he returned in the IDW line and put the Cons' in their place.
    [​IMG]

6. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Well... no, that's exactly why I pointed it out: I didn't get used to it and no story in the world can distract me from awful artwork. That's exactly why I avoid the majority of IDW stuff as well - the art is so awful that it's distracting. I buy comics - a VISUAL medium - to get the whole package, story AND art, not one or the other.

In your opinion. Not mine.

7. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    I love Wildmans style (even though i have only seen snippets)

8. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't read the comic till issue 200 so my early exposure was the cartoon (besides the toys), but it was the comic that really drew me in. Even as a kid I guess I didn't like the reset button. Thats not to say I dont like the cartoon, its still my default set up for Transformers, what I compare any new version to and the season one cast especially still talk in their cartoon voices when I read them in a comics.

I suppose as much as anything the cartoon got boring. For two seasons not a lot changed, we got new characters but the same old set up. Megatron has a plan to steal energon/defeat Autobots, Autobots stop him. Some of those episodes were great and some weren't. The Dinobot creation is etched into my brain, even though I prefer the marvel back story, the cartoon is more iconic to me.

Then season 3 three just kind of threw all that out and over night it was a totally different show more space scifi type stuff. I still haven't watched some/most of it but what I have generally wasn't to my taste.

To a degree the comic ended up in the same place but there was a natural ish progression and felt proper and when it ended, it didn't feel like an ending so Im excited because I now get the ending or an ending I hoped for.

9. cosmos_seeker

cosmos_seeker Explorer

I will never understand "deeper" and "darker" in terms of fandom.

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I recall, only season one was shown - on a "rinse and repeat cycle" several times - on terrestrial TV (Wide Awake and Wac-a-Day). It was good old Video Gems who provided us with our glimpse of a few episodes here and there!

11. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

*Sigh* I am not trolling. I read the entire marvel original run and G2, and just got done re-reading it and also reading the Titan UK stuff for the first time. I just don't like it. I never said one bad thing about people who do like it, just asked why other people like it- it all comes down to taste. I don't like rebellious shockwave, I don't like the starscream underbase story, I like Spike as the Human friend charcter rather than buster. I just don't like the comics, but I resepect those that do, itsthier thing.

It is the same with the three G1 Japenese animated Series- I recetly got to see them- I don't like any of them, ethier...I didn't like seeing optimus die again. But I respect that other peole like them, and I am not flaming them for doing so.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Were there any aspects you did like? Was the difference in the characters the only thing that turned you off? Was it Prime's death, because if you don't like seeing Prime die, hooooo boy that could explain you not liking the comics. Have there been TF comics you did like?

It's totally okay not to like stuff, I'm just trying to go into more depth as to why so we can try and explain the popularity better.

13. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

Hmmm.... I did like the Big broadcast of 2006 issue, loved the characters of nightbeat, Siren, Hosehead, Bludgeon, and Lord thunderwing, liked the matrix quest storyline, and liked some of the contibutions the comic made to the mythologhy; the matrix of leadership and Primus. that's about it. And yes, character potrayal difference is a major factor in my dislike.

I also didn't like revolving door death had, wheras the cartoon just had starscream and prime come back, and that's it. I understand why they did it, but scorponok and fort max being reduced in size sucked for me, who had thier toys. that kind of thing. Oh, and the hardlined gender stance Furman had on no female TF's, where as the toon had female autobots. They're a race of transforming mimics, adapting gender qualities as part of the disguise isn't that far of a stretch.

14. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with your opinion on comic art being important. I'm always amazed by people who claim that the artwork in a comic is irrelevant, and that ONLY the story matters. Comics by definition are a 50/50 partnership between art and story, and if either one is bad it sinks the whole ship.

I think the main problem with the art in the old comics is that most of the artists didn't know how to draw robots. Either they tried to draw robotic characters and made them look horribly amateurish, or they drew humans in helmets. The main reason Geoff Senior is considered one of the best is that he was one of the first artists to draw TFs that looked like believable robots.

But do you really consider the IDW art to be that bad? Aside from a few notable exceptions (Heart of Darkness!!), I think most of the IDW lineart is pretty darn good, and occasionally great. If you don't mind me asking, what do you consider to be GOOD Transformer art? I'm not judging, just curious. :) 

15. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I'm not really a huge comics fan. I have nothing against them. Infact, I have very much respect for them. They're just not my cup of tea. I'm not really an "arts" person, so I lack the imagination to be able to turn what I'm reading into more than just words and pictures. But like I said, that's my problem, not the comics. If people enjoy the comics, more power to them.

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

What I don't understand is why continue a story which already ended? G2 picked up where G1 left off...Soooo why not just continue where G2 ended? That makes much more sense to me.

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're right, it's all down to taste - seems like you knew the answer to your question already :wink: 

But you're right; I love the comics, but just can't see how anyone could prefer the old 1980s cartoon. I love the G1 figures, but the terrible Classics that most collectors fangasm over just leave me cold.

As you said, there is no accounting for personal taste. I listed some of the reasons I love the Marvel saga a couple of pages back.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    My favorite TF art (and coloring) would have to be the majority of what came from Dreamwave a few years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it set the standard and really raised the bar. Particularly the line art of Don Figueroa, Guido Guidi and EJ Su - it was like a 'grown up' G1 with all the extra details and grittiness put into the bot designs and backgrounds. Basically what I always wanted to see in Transformers whether it was via a comic or a new show. But I generally hated Pat Lee's overly puffy and very anime influenced style.

To be honest, I haven't continued to follow IDW, so maybe their art & coloring has gotten better. But based off what I did see/buy like the Infiltration & Escalation series, a couple of Spotlights, a couple of cover art compilations, etc., it was just awful. I almost hated the coloring more than the line art, but both were pretty bad across the board imo. Obviously the Stormbringer series was an exception since it was penciled by Don Figueroa. It looked like some of the All Hail Megatron stuff was pretty decent too, but I never bought it yet to confirm.

I guess that right there is another reason why I'm not a fan of IDW - their stuff is all over the board and literally changes look & style from series to series. When something is that inconsistent, I tend to check out altogether.

19. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I loved it. Even as a child of 7 or 8 I considered the comics the true continuity even though I didn't know what that meant. I fucking love the cartoon for providing the voices, sound effects and memorable music, but not much else.
    I had a lot of the G1 comics, and didn't see many cartoons other than what I could rent. Maybe that colours my memory, but even now I can read the comics and enjoy them, but struggle with a lot of the episodes.
    Plus the UK comic was much more bot focused than the US counterpart.

Also, you know, thanks for phrasing the question so respectfully, that was better than we normally see. Kudos.

20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    This about #81?

Furman is going to drop the G2 comics (and Marvel U.K.) and create a new timeline spinning off from the U.S. G1 Marvel comics.

Also, G2 wasn't that well recieved and killed off a bunch of fan favorite characters.

I can forgive an eighties or older comic for having bad artwork by today's standards; it was a different time back then. With 80s Transformers, I just use my imagination to visualise what the same story would look like if it were produced today. Artwork is definitely important in modern comics for the past twenty years.