I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Lunar_Convoy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But the number of people who actually post this way is nearly zero. I've seen few, if any posts that reflect this sentiment, even from the most anti-TFA minded people.
    Great point. It is possible to not enjoy TFA, and not be a neanderthal "geewunner", just like it's possible to have enjoyed the movie without being "in love with Bay". I'd like to think that most fans can still be forward-thinking enough to understand TFAs value in creating variety and diversity in the franchise, even if it may not be exactly to their taste.

2. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

Maybe not in GI Joe. :p  I admit, I was never a big GI Joe fan. But could you imagine GI Joe getting the 'animated' treatment? It'd be like GI Spongebob Joepants.

As for Transformers. I include the movie as a part of G1. And the first 20 minutes of that is a Transformer massacre. Everyone from Ironhide to Optimus Prime get wasted. Could you imagine Transformers Animated killing off Bulkhead? Or Prowl? No way. I understand why they did that in the movie (to make room for more toys) but it was definitely skewed at a more adult audience than Animated. And I feel like G1 is something you can enjoy as an adult. But kids will 'grow out' of Animated. For more proof of them skewing to a younger audience, check out the Autobots sidekicks. Spike was a 16 year old kid. Sari is what...8?

Also, to add one more thing, the focus on 'human supervillains' is ridiculous. Come on. There aren't enough Transformers to pull from for villains? Megatron sits up on blocks for almost all of Season 1 while the Autobots are chasing Green Arrow and The Flash knockoffs.

There are still things I do like about Animated.

1. The animation. It's a lot more active and interesting. Definitely more engaging.

2. Prowl. A ninja transformer? How can that not be awesome?

3. The reimagining of Transformers. While I say I didn't like Soundwave, and I thought that Constructicon homage, the giant space barnacle or whatever, sucked. But I've been happy with the others (though I am disappointed we have no Devestator so far).

4. The story arcs. G1 had plenty of multipart episodes, but I like that Animated has ongoing story arcs that they revisit. And good continuity as well. It definitely has that over G1.

3. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

I agree with Roook

Ninjas + robots = AWESOME!!

and they REALLY need to get better human villains I mean REALLY, really

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't even slightly agree with that in ANY way, shape or form. The cartoon IMO was utterly awful.
    I do hope your comment about the COMIC having "badly-coloured, almost non-distingushable drawings" in a post where you extol the virtues of the lamentably badly animated CARTOON is supposed to be ironic.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uhh the barnacle wasn't a constructicon homage, the machines it attacked were.

6. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Nope. I do compare it to the Marvel-comics, however, if there's any difference to the newer IDW-comics.

7. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

G1 cartoon looked alot better then the Marvel comics drawings imo but IDW stuff is like 100x better then the TFA cartoon it's like comparing kids finger paintings to the Mona Lisa.

I disagree that the comics were not important. The Marvel comics were alot more important to kids back then what were they 60-75 cents? A series doesn't last what 6-7 years if it not making $$. Now they are 3-4 bucks a comic and geared more towards adults, kids don't buy them. The cartoon and well actually the Movie is what generates interest for kids now but it was both back in the 80's.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds good, but if there's still the occasional BW hater out there, there will be at least some AnimHaters remaining well after the series has run it's full course.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

The only way you can compare 22 pages of comic-book stills to a 22 minute animated cartoon is if you know nothing about animation.

And A series with IDW style art as animation would be prohibitively expensive to make and not appeal to kids. So if the simplistic animation is cheaper to make and more appealing to the target demo, what is the problem? You do know they focus test this stuff.

Take a history of animation class. Cartoons don't need to be hardcore detailed to be good. The medium actually promotes simplistic animations for storytelling purposes.

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Love the show and the story line, I'm even warming up to the designs in the cartoon.

Still not a big fan of the toys though. :( 

11. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't read the comics, but i love the show, probably because it's animated, not computer animated. a heck of a lot more work went into g1 than any other series to date, and btw i love animated, so there's no point in calling me a geewunner, i liked the movie, bought the toys, displayed for a month and got bored of them, now they're in a box, but animated are staying on my shelf, not just for the homage factor, but for the originality that doesn't suck factor

12. shockwave_store

shockwave_store DECEPTICON BADASS

G1 is still the best........PERIOD!!!

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

1) I think the Constructicons were rebuilt on Earth to mimic earth vehicles.
    2) it's possible back on Cybertron the Constructicons were the Constructibots, and then Megatron used the Robo Smasher on them.
    3) Perhaps Megatrons origins have been clouded by mystery that when Rodimus was inside the Matrix it simply chose Decepticons that Rodimus would recognize more then an accurate history recording.

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Actually, when Megatron was built, there were no factions. Everybody was just Transformers. When Orion Pax told Silverbolt about the "new flying transformers", he was talking about Megatron. I think they built him and didn't expect him to turn evil. He later built the robo-smasher and converted them. Then on earth, he re-built them into contstructon vehicles.

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or maybe y'know whoever wrote that Omega Supreme episode completely forgot about that line in Heavy Metal War?

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Your mixing up comic history with the toon history.

The factions in the toon were established long before Megatron was built.

The Quintasons had Cybertron working as a factory creating 2 lines or robots.Consumer goods robots used as slaves and servants and military robots used in wars.

When A3 [Alpha Trion] led the rebellion against the Quintasons and won their freedom the two lines chose names for themselfs.

The Consumer robots called them selfs Autobots while the military robots called them selfs Decepticons.

And Megatron did not start the war.There have been a cival war on Cybertron for millions of years before Megatron was built.But there were periods of peace in between.

Yes he was but the thing that was so special was that they could fly.

Thats been one of my theories.

17. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I can compare anything I want too. I can't believe you suggested that in order to have an opinion on a preference in drawings that I need to take a class. That has to be the most obsurd thing I have ever read.

You missed my point anyway, where imo G1 cartoon was much better drawn then the marvel comics. The same could not be said for IDW and TFA the comic and cartoon of this time where I think the comic is drawn better.

The roles have switched which is my point where IDW is more for adults and TFA for kids where G1 cartoon and comic was just for kids.

18. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

You can compare anything you want, it just makes you look foolish.

Please compare 80's marvel comics to 2005 IDW comics and forget the advancements in computers and digital art and printing that has revolutionized print comics. Comparing basic apples to genetically cloned apples grown with modern farming machinery and advanced fertilizers.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Not to get in the middle of something but I still think your missing his post.

He's not comparing the 80's marvel comic to the 2007 IDW comics.

What he's trying to say that in the 80's the cartoon was animated far better then the comic was drawn......but its ironic that the 2007 IDW comics is Drawn much better then TFA is animated.

So it looks like this.

80's toon :thumb 

80's comics:thumbdown 

07 toon:thumbdown 

07 comics :thumb 

In his opinion.

20. TrailbreakerADK

TrailbreakerADK Defense Strategist

Though, we all love G1 in our hearts, in my opinion, TFA has better plot and characterization, and that matters to me. I seriously don't mind the animation/art style, in fact, I like it. Yes, for those who said that this show is aimed for kids, you are correct. That's the target audience, it's always been. Transformers in general is aimed for kids.