I can already tell that Scorn is going to die instantly.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by CapnScumbone, May 28, 2014.

1. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

False on all accounts. Maybe try a more positive attitude and an open mind.

2. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    If I remember rightly, we've relatively little evidence for pack/group/mob behaviour in allosauroids. Need to double check. But I do know we have suggestions of some social behaviour in tyrannosaurs, including adult associations and some interesting stuff with pathology, where a rex was crippled and healed up. As in it couldn't move kinda crippled. Some argue this suggests behaviour similar to what we see in pair bonded birds, where if one is injured the other will bring food to the nest.

But yeah, if like 5 or 7 of just piled on...although depending on the weight references you use, 7 allosaurs = 1 tyrannosaur (course weight estimates change so much. My fav is the 20 tonne estimate for Spinosaurus...which I'm fairly certain was pulled straight out of someones backside)

ahead of me :D  I very rarely get in the field. Never been great shakes at it to be honest. Don't have the eye. Lots of museum work for me. Hope one day to try my hand at palaeoethology though. Taxonomy is fun buuuut not why I got into this.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  3. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    20 tons? for a biped? hahaha. ya that is such a made up number. I think tyrannosaurs weighed around 8 tons for males and 7 tons for females. spinosaurus could have been around 7-8 1/2 tons, and allosaurus about 5-6 tons.

taxonomy is fun, but full of head aches, did you hear about the Moa, Elephant bird, Kiwi connection?

4. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

Before I got into journalism, I was a paleontologist; It was incredible to be able to dig up not just dinosaur bones, but I remember we once found the lower jaw of a Mosasaurus, feather imprints, an ancient nest of eggs etc. We also unexpectedly found an almost complete Allosaurus skull once, but it had a pretty good sized hole in the right cheek which was a bit disappointing honestly. A fair number of different theropod remnants were found, but no Tyrannosaurides nor dromeosaurs except for some teeth and claws, which I personally was hoping to find.

5. CapnScumbone

CapnScumbone Ruiner of mirth

I miss grumpy cat - Imgur

no.

6. CapnScumbone

CapnScumbone Ruiner of mirth

Nice! Lafayette Science Museum here, via University of Louisiana! We just put up a few VERY sweet skeletons....including a few Allos in predatory stances, and a Yungchuanosaurus!

7. UltraPrimus56

^ Holy shit, really!? A Yungchuanosaurus! Dude, I've always wanted to see one of those bloody things in person.

8. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Perhaps former Canadian Primeval : New World Viewers will think Grimmy is an Albertasaurus.
    ----

I don't think it's impossible that Swoop is called Strafe and has two heads as some sort of inside joke referring to strafe twin cannons- as what is more opposite of a prehistoric beast than a "Techno-bot"?

Anyway Strafe is about much Strafe (or swoop) as Barricade is the same individual as the Micromaster he shares a name with... So since there is already way more Dinobots than just 6 I don't mind in the slightest having a few more.

9. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:

I'm not a theropod guy but daaaaaaammmmmmnnn son.

10. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I guess it would depend on whom you ask. I myself need to check, but I remember Mapusaurus roseae was found in a bone bed of seven individuals including both full grown and juvenile individuals. I think some paleontologists consider it a long term accumulation of the different individuals that died at different times, while others would consider it a group that died together in an event, and that Mapusaurus and possibly other carcharodontosaurids may have tackled the biggest titanosaurs together. My opinion? I think it's possible but not certain, so I don't have an opinion either way. There definitely is better evidence of some tyrannosaurids and other coelurosaurs being social, and other known accumulations of allosauroids are almost certainly predator traps (ie the allosaurs at Cleveland-Lloyd). Even if some allosauroids were social, whether or not they cooperatively hunted can't be demonstrated at this point. At the same time, I doubt there was a one-size-fits-all behavioral model for allosauroids or really any speciose dinosaur clade.

11. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

And seconded.

12. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

I really don't want the Dinobots to be team cannon fodder. But see, Bay is a car guy, and the car companies don't like it when the nice shiny cars they give him get destroyed cause it makes them look bad... So I can't give the Dinobots good odds. Well maybe we'll get a G1 Scorn in the comics.

T-Rex has a much cooler name than Allosaurus. Only Carntorosaurus comes close. Of course another thing to note is when all you have is the bones you don't have all the information. It wasn't that long ago everyone knew Dinosaurs were big, dumb, slow, cold blooded, and most definitly didn't have feathers. Or there's this Blog post, where the guy is discussing the problems with estimating the weight of Pterasaurs. https://www.flickr.com/photos/markwitton/1386125619/in/set-72057594082038974/?rb=1

13. UltraPrimus56

^ Everyone knew or thought that dinosaurs were big, dumb, and slow creatures? Because it's most certainly the latter of the two.

14. Soundkaiser

Soundkaiser 3D Animator And Windblade's Conjunx Endura

News Credits:
    I like what your going at and agree with you 100% but nobody ever listens here on TFW, transformers fans will always be displeased with what it is today, they don't care that people still believe in the franchise and just want to present new ideas. Hell, Hollywood is running out of original ideas and yet we want to complain about everything Bay tries, minus all the money they spend on making sure these movies look detailed, a true work of art, and ultimately give us a new perspective to our imagination. Imagination is what makes everything tick. You know what? Nevermind, I'm just beating a dead horse saying this.

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Hmm Can't you scan the Dino-bones in CT scanner and see how many pores or holes of chambers they have in the bones (if you have the whole skeleton) surely are reasonably accurate estimate of weight can't be to hard.

I be it does their head in though if the figures they get seem to suggest it's to heavy to fly (so they'll just fudge them if that's the case).

I do find the dino-soap opera rather fun - but it does sometimes get in the way of answering sensible questions like what's the biggest pterosaur (or similar) that could take off and fly from the ground (if any?). Or did they have to climb all the way back up a cliff like a bat climbing a rock face (which is I suppose sort of interesting in an off itself).

But last I looked they'd been bickering over that question for years.

16. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Maybe, but you have to keep an open mind, and not assume that something is hard fact. The problem is that while you can tell a lot from bones, at least some things aren't so easy to figure out. You have the framework, but not all the parts that hung on it. They keep finding begger Pterasaurs, and the square cube law is in effect, so they keep finding Pterasaurs that are heavier as a resault.

Big still applies to the public conciousness anyways. When was Musasaurus discovered?