I am getting out of the game :(

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Razor24, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Razor24

Razor24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks my friend. I am hopeful that things will improve and I can pick up this hobby once more. Ouch about the signed Laserdisc set!

Well you see we (well most of us mortals anyways. you seem to be immune) splurge in good times and tighten our belts and sell off what we can in bad times. My wife rightly pointed out that we were struggling and yet I was sitting on a sizable gold mine of collector toys.

So the right thing to do is remedy that and do EVERYTHING I could to make sure my family is still provided for.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Gray117

Gray117 Active Member

The worst thing about any possession/hobby is to get in a place where it has demands on you - so, yeah, being ok to sell, even if your not happy about it, should be a better feeling than feeling like you should be doing something but resisting it. The good thing is you chose a relatively low impact hobby which can have some value and can be parted out relatively easily.

Good luck with the life stuff - sure it will work out - you seem like a sound guy... and of course, although it might be a bit of a tease, there's nothing wrong in being a part of the scene without being waist deep in it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

It’s both a blessing and a curse that it’s so easy to resell Transformers. I recall feeling relief when MP Dinobot got a few paint chips so he wasn’t first on the chopping block when it was time to refurbish the kids’ room.

Then again family and real life always comes first, and you’re a strong person for parting with your collection.

If it’s any consolation, most things will be replacable if you ever return to the game, and there’s always the weird luck of the second hand market. I’ve even found the exact same monster fish(!) I sold years ago, and TFs, barring GPS and breakage, have a potential lifespan of a century or more so will stay in rotation long.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Razor24

News Credits:
    Hey guys I am still sitting on a big stash as have only been able to sell off a few things. If you see anything you like please make an offer.

If you are looking for something not listed PM me and see if I have it.

I want to move these asap so I can have some breathing space with my finances.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Razor24

News Credits:
    So its now March and things are getting desperate. I'm months away from losing my house and despite having numerous interviews I have not been able to secure any work. To date I have sold about 6 items. Please if you see or want anything contact me and make an offer. At this point making a loss is still money.

I know people say it's easy to resell so I am hoping that happens soon.

6. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...mate, if you're desperate to liquidate just put things up for auction with no reserve and publicise the auctions collectively: that's what i did after the 2001 crash, some sold higher than i expected and others for far less, but on average i did fairly and more importantly managed to quickly pay rent, eat, and relocate to employment opportunity...

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    It's not that I don't want to help, but I'm in the States. I'd have to imagine that even if you were selling to me at a big discount that shipping costs would kill me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bujo

Bujo Well-Known Member

Best of luck in the job search.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles, man, that sounds like hell. If there’s a store in Australia (or NZ, not too far to ship) selling used TFs, try offering your collection to them. Or convince a regular TF store to start a used section, you’ve got some good stuff. Else as Myrrh said just auction them off.

10. Mayena

Mayena Well-Known Member

Not to be a smartass, but a genuine idea; you’re in Australia, can’t you become a firefighter really easy about now?

• Like Like x 1
  11. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    don't know about smartass? dumbass maybe?

• Like Like x 6
  12. Razor24

News Credits:
    Thanks bud. I will try and do that.

You'd be surprised. I have shipped a few things to the US and the prices are not as bad as you would think. Depends on the weight but I find anything about 1kg and less costs under USD$25 shipped with tracking. Up to 2KG and it starts getting expensive (USD$40).

There's no real stores here or NZ that buy used TFs that I know of (especially 3P). But thanks for the suggestion. I will try and stick them all on ebay and see what happens.

My wife was saying she would stick them all on Gumtree (aussie trading site) for like $10 each (this included figures like Carnifex!) wtf?!

Her logic was with the amount of figures I have at $10 each we would still make a few thousand. Could you imagine even a iGear mini warrior going for $10?

I know I am desperate but I'm not willing to make a 60%-95+% loss just yet... o_O 

13. 6Speed

6Speed Well-Known Member

Sorry to see you go brother. Hope you can start collecting again in the near future. I'm looking for a Magic Square MS-01 Light of Freedom, in case you have one you want to sell.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

Good luck on your endeavors.

And honestly, tf's have been less and less interesting as time passes by. There's basically 0 new figures that spark my interest. You're not missing out. So don't feel to bad about it.

15. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I strongly suspect that people are less likely to contact a seller for purchase, when the seller does not list prices for the figures. That is true for me, and I can just imagine that most others are like that.

Whenever I see sales threads where the seller says, "make me an offer" and nothing is priced, very few people will bite.

My advice is to give prices to your figures. And you can lower the prices as some time passes, if they don't sell. I'm sure that you're very busy. And that you think that letting us come up with our own asking prices is a good thing. But the majority of your figures haven't been sold yet.

And talk about the potential shipping costs, because buyers want to know, at least a ballpark estimate. All you say is, "I live in Australia" which to me as an American, translates to expensive shipping.

Edit - i did see that you had discussed some shipping price examples in a later post.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  16. edgecrusher

edgecrusher When yer featherin' it, brother TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prices and photos would for sure help. Even just listing the prices "plus shipping" or "not including shipping" would be good. With Hasbro continuing to release stuff like Siege and Earthrise, there is still a market for CHUG products, and of course MMC's Reformatted is desirable regardless.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mayena

Mayena Well-Known Member

@Razor24 you, the one so in need of a financial solution, liked this reply. I guess you're not so serious about solving your financial situation then if you're laughing away a genuine idea to help you. Voluntary firefighters in Australia get financially compensated for their help, there's your mortgage payment for this month. But hey, just let the bank take your house, I cared and tried to help.

18. deathsheadII

News Credits:
    watch the news or read a paper! the fires are easing off and in bushfire hit area's they are facing flooding rather than fires now due to dry ground and downpours there's not the work for volunteer firefighters now and also depends where the op lives oz is a big place

• Like Like x 3
  19. deathsheadII

News Credits:
    also to add to that @Mayena the volunteer firefighters are highly trained all 70 odd thousand of them over there!! it's not a case of just jumping into the job

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  20. JackKnife

JackKnife ...

You don't just "jump in" concerning firefighting, especially concerning wildfires. I mean really, kick the poor guy while he's down why doncha?
    How much more out of touch can ya get?

• Like Like x 3