I almost got fired today because I'm sleeping on the job :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Digital you're too good of a guy to lose your job over sleeping. Unless your job has changed you are still doing phone tech support which to be honest can get quite boring...I am a call center manager and no matter how much I like somebody, if my boss catches them sleeping it's straight to final warning. I tend to be a little more lenient about the corrective action process, but will still do what I have to do to keep my own job. Point is, no matter how much your managers like you if someone above them sees it and they call the shots, you could be out of a job.

Everyone posted some good advise, but the best advise I can give is that sleeping during work is a quick way to be in the unemployment line, especially in a call center...Best of luck man and stop staying up so late playing video games ;) 

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Between 10pm and 3am it's really busy for me. I usually get some good adrenaline pumping but when things start slowing down I get a huge adrenaline dump and get really tired.
    I just try to drink water and try to stay awake until things start picking back up around 5am.

3. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Sleep apnea is a bitch.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I wish I had that video of you after Cece's bachelor party.

5. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    That was alcohol-induced passing out. That, and for the 3rd time in a week, my girlfriend had broken up with me. Which increased the drinking.

The stripper broke my Jesus necklace that night. And the stripper that gave Cece his lapdance ended up being the wife of the guy I worked with for the Hasbro vendor job that Christmas and following Spring, who is now one of my best friends.

THE IRONY.

6. SunDown

SunDown Fatty McFatFat

just to toss out another possibility on being tired. If your body runs low on iron you pretty much cant get enough sleep to feel "awake".
    A blood test would show what your iron levels are. And in taking iron supplements, remember a little goes a long way. If you take too much your stomach will be upset and you'll be ralphing a lot.

I had instances in the past where I couldnt get enough sleep and always felt tired. blood tests revealed lack of iron.

7. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

Jux,

There is no rule six! Atlest that is what Professor Bruce teaches at the university of Hullabaluu. Sorry just watched the Monty Python skit.

I aggree with Jux. I hope it gets better for you and that most importantly you don't lose your job.

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    True, I've had this problem, too. But don't EVER take iron supplements before your stomach has at least half a meal in it. I tried taking one about 5 minutes before I ate - barfed every hour for the next 24 hours and was flat on my back for the next week. But you can also get iron from dark green veggies, and blackstrap molasses (yummy on waffles mixed with maple syrup).

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Are you married or have a gf? She might be why

10. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Keeping a good sleep routine is vital for not being tired the next day. I just wish I could follow that advise as well as I give it. :D 

The only other thing I can suggest...try standing. Humans have a hard time falling asleep while on their feet, and walking a few paces gets your heart pumping just a bit faster. Additionally, you shouldnt be sitting down for longer then about 30 minutes at a time anyways as it's bad for your back. That said, I know some places tend to have problems so ask first if pacing a few feet every now and then is allowable.

11. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to have a terrible time staying awake in class and for awhile at work as well. The thing that helped me the most is drinking a lot of water. As others have mentioned, eating fruit is also supposed to help, apples in particular (didn't do much for me personally). If you get into a position where you find yourself falling asleep and you desperately need to stay awake try chewing gum or taking a big sip of water and holding it in your mouth for awhile. It's a very temporary fix but it can save your butt.

12. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I've never fallen asleep at work, but I do get a bit narcoleptic on vacations.

Try energy drinks. Starbucks Double Shot, 5 Hour Energy, and stuff like that.

Or get a job you want to stay awake at. :) 

13. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, and uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour. I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

14. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sometimes get sleepy after cracking one off.
    Maybe you should wait till you get home to do it.