Humans are getting dumber?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Crazy Collector, Nov 12, 2012.

1. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
  2. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Pfft. That's not news.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, I can see it. The mine technologically advanced we become, the less we seem to use our brain. I say this as a collective species, not just anyone in specific. There are those out there who are still extremely intelligent, but overall.. yea, we're becoming rocks, so to speak.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Given that how we define "intelligence" has changed drastically even in the modern era, how we've transitioned to highly diversified and specialized skillsets, and how much better educated the average person is compared to thousands of years ago, I'm inclined to disbelieve this theory, especially since the article doesn't go into great detail on it's justifications.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Makes sense. We, as a species, have evolved and settled into a state where survival is no longer dependant on innovation. Speaking purely from the ability to live our lives, we don't need to be smarter, or as smart as we are. Our society is now self-sustaining with no evolutionary need for us to improve.

It's not like we're getting stupider, rather the article suggest we aren't in need of intellect. As sad and scary as that is. Much as we've physically evolved into rather unimpressive beings, so have our brains stopped moving forward to protect us and are kicking back and settling in.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    With advanced and well-rounded education becoming more and more common and ignorance and superstition slowly withering away, I can't see us growing dumber. As idiotic as some people nowadays are, as a whole I think we as a species are better off intellectually now than perhaps any other time period.

On the other hand I can see how we may not have the quickest wit, given we have devices to act as sort of "cheat sheets."

8. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

The problem is that few understand that the brain acts just like a muscle. If you don't work it out it gets weaker. All the external stimulation in our society allows us to not have to think anymore to feel stimulated so as a result we are getting dumber due to mental laziness, not any actual physical regression.
    Read some books, do a craft, heck, transform a transformer and you are exercising your mind which will stave off stagnation.

9. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Agreed.

People just seem dumber because we get to see a lot more of now in the day and age of instant communication.

Jersey Shore and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo don't help any either.

10. thebigdb

thebigdb Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well there is a long answer & a short answer… & I will give my short answer. Short Answer – Yes! *laughs* I tell ya… I listen to people explain what they voted for & why this last election… & I am not going to get political… but I just shake my head for the reasons.

11. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Nothing new, I thought about the same things they pointed out ten years ago already.

12. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, yes we are.

13. iconbot

iconbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good. The quicker we get back to wearing loin clothes and hunting for our food the better.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I dunno. If we personally needed the knowledge to do certain things then we'd retain it. These days so many of us don't have to learn much of anything because we can just pick up a smartphone and find out online. I think gone are the days where kids learn many skills from their parents as nowadays they can either 'get a man in' to do it for them or just Google a How To. Schools need to teach more practical skills since learning dates and how to calculate things and suchlike isn't such a requirement anymore. Knowledge is more centralised than it used to be now so many people have immediate access to the internet. Of course we still need intelligent people to put that knowledge and information online for others to access, and for some people to use that and advance knowledge further still.

But 'Smartphone' could be considered an ironic name since the people using them probably know less than people from ten years earlier.

15. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quite a few people are good examples of this.

But then, I just came out of a four year Masters in Astrophysics, so I'm pretty sure I'm not stupid.

But as a general trend, yeah I'd say the percentage of the population getting dumber is large, and I'd put it down to the wrong people breeding more often and, honestly, too much.

The dumbasses will inherit the earth!

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Idiocracy!

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    People getting dumber?

The rise of Honey Boo Boo and the Kardashians are prime examples.

18. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Wait. This is NEWS?

I thought we already knew this. Are we doing the exact same studies all over again?

19. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

Sure, the general populace and a lot of important people are idiots, but there are still enough smart people around to keep us from re-enacting Idiocracy. Plus, a species that is developing the technology we are can't really be said to be getting dumber.

Also, those of you who use Honey Boo Boo or Jersey Shore or whatever shlock is on television nowadays, I have some questions for you: Have you considered that, after working a mentally exhausting 9-to-5 job, people like to unwind by turning their brains off? Or that they like those kinds of shows in an ironic way? Seriously, using today's media to determine wheter or not we'll start devolving in a few generations is like using what I ate for dinner yesterday to determine whether or not I'll have a heart attack by 25. Yeah, it's bad, and probably will lead to bad things down the road, but it's not THE factor which will determine whether those bad things will happen.

TL;DR We're not turning into morons (not yet, anyway), even with the shlock kids are watching nowadays.

20. MCRex

MCRex Well-Known Member