How would you reinvent [X]?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CyberstormSM, Jan 31, 2020.

1. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    A sentiment that I often read on these boards is that the current crop of fiction plays it too safe. It's not willing to take any risks or do anything different with the brand; rather, it's just retreading old concepts and retelling old stories that we've all seen play out before. That's something I've found to be on my mind lately, and I do indeed find myself missing the days when Transformers stories were willing to be just a bit more daring and creative. I miss the days when Transformers was willing to reinvent itself.

So, with this thread, I want to pose a question to all of you: what would you like to see reinvented for a future series, and how would you go about doing it? It could be a new spin on an old, beloved character, or a new take on the general premise of a Transformers show, or a reinvention of a key concept, or something else entirely. Really, if you'd like to share how you'd like to see something done in the future, you are welcome to share it here.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I really enjoy G1 Optimus Prime (specifically the cartoon version; the comic book versions tend towards overly guilt-ridden). I really like Optimus Primal. I really like Animated Optimus. That being said, most Optimuses (Optimi?) have been rather dull and uninteresting as of late. Thus, if we could see a reinvention of Optimus Prime, or have a focus on a new Autobot leader who isn't Bumblebee (I like the little yellow guy, but he's overexposed at this point), I would enjoy that. Ultra Magnus? Emirate Xaaron? Rodimus? (I don't even particularly like Rodimus, I just think it's been too long since he got a starring role in a television show and think it would be only fair for him to return in some capacity.) Star Saber? (Preferably NOT as a villainous knight Templar this time. IDW, I'm looking at you.) God Ginrai? Grimlock (a reasonably intelligent one, that is)? Impactor? Springer as the leader of the Wreckers? Elita One? (It'd be nice to finally get a fully fleshed-out character for her.) Some other Autobot who's never officially had the role, but could? The possibilities are endless. Just please, give me an Autobot leader who does something besides making speeches and being stoic.

• Like Like x 29
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I'd like to see Transformers stories step away from the Autobot/Decepticon war (and anything that uses the same setup like Maximals/Predacons). Use the war as a backdrop for other stories. I'd like to see what other robots are up to throughout the universe. How do they mingle with other species? Maybe we could focus on nonaligned characters who are out for personal profit (like Lockdown), or Transformers who left their factions to seek a non-combative life. What kind of adventures are they getting themselves into? It could be interesting to see some post-war stories on Earth (or simultaneous, but in locations away from the war). Maybe the main factions went back to Cybertron, and Earth becomes a scavenging ground for neutral Transformers. I think there's a whole universe of stuff like that to explore, and it's mostly untapped by fiction.

• Like Like x 20
  4. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    nemesis prime n galvatron as clones of the leaders made by unicron as his heralds. throw in some other repaints/homages (energon sixshot as shockblast, cybertron soundblaster as soundblaster) as other cloned heralds.

• Like Like x 11
  5. Longitudinalwave

This is definitely an interesting idea. Neutral Transformers tend to be either jerks (like many of the NAILs in IDW), generic, or dead (like most of the neutrals in the Marvel comics). Sometimes, they're all three! It'd be nice to have a story that showed them as important and sympathetic.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Moxen

Moxen Member

A group of war weary Autobots and Decepticons escape together from Cybertron and found a settlement on an uncharted world. They thrive together until they are discovered by one or both factions.

Or a series dealing with the revolution against the Quintessons. Return to the sci-fi origins and spend some time away from mysticism.

How about a series where the Decepticons actually win.

• Like Like x 20
  7. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Transformers: Renegades

I joke, but I do wonder what that story would look like...Autobot resistance force? Decepticon controlled Cybertron in a cold war with the offworld Autobots (basically the reverse of Animated)?

• Like Like x 5
  8. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    I'll like to see a more "Generational saga" kinda of stories, which follows generations and generations of Autobots and humans starting from the beginning of the Autobot-Decepticon conflict to its end, to an post Decepticons era where Autobots has no choice but to co-exist with human society, to the rise of some other non-Decepticons threat like Quintessons, MECH, even multiverse-level threat at the far future and beyond. All of this takes places over 1-2 centuries with each phases heavily features new cast of characters, with each major events from previous phases having effect on future phases....

With an concept like this, a huge amount of characters can actually be introduced with enough time to shine on their own.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Hmmm so sorta how Robotech patched together 3 animes as 3 'eras' you'd like to see that kinda storytelling in Transformers

10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd prefer a departure from the usual characters like Ratchet, Bumblebee, Kup, Arcee or Wheeljack.

It's a shame Rescue Bots was aimed at a younger audience as the Autobots themselves were portrayed quite well and were new characters. None of their voices were corny. They had likeable and distinct personalities.

My main point with Rescue Bots is that it featured a new cast, no Decepticons and has been very successful.

If I were reinventing the franchise, I'd do the following:

An intelligent story.
    No childish humour.
    No know-all kids.
    No kid friendly characters like Bumblebee. Even as a kid, I didn't like them or the sidekicks in other series.

No edginess just for the sake of it like Megatron saying, "Shit", in Power of the Primes. Plus it seemed wrong for a Cybertronian to use an Earth swear, especially a Decepticon.
    Use Cybertronian expletives like Slagger or Scrap if the situation demands it.

No minute long, stock footage transformations or attacks.
    No "Transform" or "Maximise" when a character transforms.
    No accents. They sound corny and have been used as a poor attempt at characterisation.
    No cosplay ala Bludgeon, Windblade or Hound.

Do away with the million year war and lifespan. It takes away from ancient Cybertronian legends when contemporary Transformers are ancient themselves.

While I prefer larger casts, I understand why the modern trend of smaller casts continues. Instead of Prime, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Ironhide and Bulkhead, why not delve into the franchise. There were countless teams in G1 so why not give some of them the spotlight. RID 2000 had a few teams too. I'd love to see the Spychangers again.

Even some Decepticon unit like the Scavengers or a squadron of Seekers who are popular with Hasbro these days given Siege, Cyberverse and the Bumblebee movie.

As a kid I didn't, and still don't, like generic thuggish or sadistic Decepticons like Shrapnel or Blitzwing. IDW was good at showing not all Decepticons were evil.

Keep characters consistent even in reboots. The most popular incarnations of the Dinobots were Marvel and War for Cybertron where they didn't use cartoon caveman speak. While I enjoy Cyberverse, having Grimlock portrayed like the Beast from X Men just seems off though it's better than RID Grimlock.

Not have every Prime bar Optimus as evil. At least Combiner Wars kept Rodimus Prime a good guy with his characteristic self doubt.

Can we please get a portrayal of Prowl close to his G1 tech specs? Logical, quiet and patient not a whiny prick. I'd settle for giving him Rescue Bots' Chase's personality and voice. Or make him Data from Star Trek.

Anyway, I'm not arguing just saying what I'd like to see.

• Like Like x 11
  11. Longitudinalwave

I actually agree with this. Millions of years seems too long for one individual.
    Seconded.
    I'd like to see this.

• Like Like x 9
  12. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Well, kinda. I'm thinking of something closer to the Universal Century timeline from the Gundam franchise, in case where we see certain characters growing up across each entries facing different events while getting to interact with the newer generations of casts for a bit.

Imagine like if we see someone like Ultra Magnus slowly growing up and changes from an inexperienced stubborn rookie who only cares about looking cool to becoming a wiser, more experienced seasoned Autobot hero over the spam of 40-50 years; or even a human character who used to have an antagonistic view on the Autobots eventually becoming the Autobot's greatest allies, where the human character dedicates everything he have to assists Earth and the Autobots for a more heroic cause to the point where his noble influences still lives on in future entries even over 100 years after his death?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Thanks for the positive feedback. These days I get anxious when I see someone's quoted me that they're starting an argument.

Oh, and welcome aboard:) 

• Like Like x 2
  14. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    More origin stories. Where'd Ironhide come from? What were the pre-Earth Maximals/Predacons like? Stuff like that. New ongoing adventures can be fun and interesting, but there seem to be a lot of untold stories in these characters' pasts.

• Like Like x 11
  15. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

B E A S T W A R S

• Like Like x 3
  16. Revoticus

Revoticus Splitting headache

I got an idea from the Bumblebee movie, have the Decepticons ally themselves with humans first before the Autobots.

But don't make them betray the humans early on, have the Decepticons play the long game where some of them even made a long history with the humans they are working with.

The Autobots would be branded as the enemy and give us a good excuse for their disguises, fighting the Decepticons while trying to convince people they are not bad

• Like Like x 17
  17. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

That’s a pretty good idea! I’d love to see some decepticons even switch sides to the Autobots when Megs and co eventually betray humanity, unable to bare turning against the friends they’ve grown to truly care for.

• Like Like x 7
  18. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Thundercracker, perhaps?

• Like Like x 2
  19. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

He’s definitely a good candidate!

I could also see some of the decepticon headmasters risking their lives to save certain humans they’ve bonded with, leading to them becoming headmasters.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GrimCharr

GrimCharr SciFi Geezer

Something which has always intrigued me about the Transformers was that there were more sophisticated sci-fi stories which were hinted at, but never followed up. Particularly the angle of whether the Transformers were "made," and thus why they are alive, yet machines. The majority of the fan-favorite Furman-era comics and after seem to have gone headlong into the Primus theory of creation.

My nostalgia for the G1 Sunbow cartoons is tempered. There have been better made cartoon series since. But something which I think (Flint Dille) nailed perfectly, was the origin of the transformers in season 2, pre-Quintessons. It was revealed that at one point Cybertron was a factory world, and the Autobots and Decepticons were manufactured as robot slaves, and their insignias represented their respective roles; the Decepticons were the military hardware, and the Autobots were the general-purpose industrial robots. The episode didn't go into who the makers were, (or who the customers were), but set up an interesting take that the transformers had alt modes for specific purposes. They were tools and technology, yet they were also alive.

This sets up a conflict more than just "endless war." I always liked the dichotomy that the Autobots were just regular, blue-collar robots, who were the underdogs standing up to the domination of the militaristic Decepticons. Since then, we've had the aligned, IDW, Bay, etc., sort of set them up as equal, armed forces, and it becomes just another "war" toy line.

Many of the storylines are motivated by the transformers looking for energon. In the first series, this was kind of a clever narrative to give to the diaclone toys. There is a sense of humor the writers had in the age of the energy crisis that suddenly the cars and planes themselves will show up and demand all our energy sources. But ultimately, if the storyline is going to advance at all, if we're telling a story of a race of advanced, inter-galactic traveling beings in a universe in which hydrogen is the most numerous element, there really shouldn't be any reason they can't sip up all the energy they need from random stars.

I would go further that the main motivation for the Transformers (both sides) would be to find out who made them. To find out their ultimate purpose. Add into this their own developed religious belief in "Primus." You can set up a dichotomy between the ultimate motivations of Megatron and Optimus. Optimus wishes to revere organic life, while the Decepticons demand to control it, with both believing they are on the correct path to understanding their own destiny they were created to fulfill.

Dunno. Is this a little heady for a series like Transformers? Over time, this became my own head canon with the characters. I've mulled over it since, and I have heard (but haven't seen) that the Bay movies played with concept very broadly.

• Like Like x 10