How would you react to a female Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

I think I'd have fun with Strongarm Prime, Chromia Prime, Elita Prime, or a refocused Solus Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

I wouldn't mind seeing Solus and the rest of the Thirteen get a bit more focus (perhaps in a prequel film or comic series set in ancient times), but if we're specifically talking about a stand-in or replacement for Optimus, Elita makes the most sense to me. Strongarm is more of a follower than a leader, Chromia is a good choice for a sub-commander but I can't see her leading an entire army, and Solus is supposed to be dead. Feel free to disagree, though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Override works since she’s already a Prime in her own right.

I could see Strongarm working but not right out of the gate. She’d need a story arc to show her progression from dutiful beat-cop to leadership material. Of everyone on Bee’s team in RID, she was the only one that he seemed to take under his wing at first, like he was trying to build her up to be more than a rookie. That aspect of their professional relationship kinda fell by the wayside when season 2 started & the cast broke up into 2 teams.

If they did use Elita-1, I’d want to see a new head design. Never been a fan of the wide antenna helmet. It looks like a Space Invaders alien landed on her head.

B02B92CC-9D6F-4E5E-A957-AC9F874400E6.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I for one wouldnt recognize it as the same optimus that I grew up with an associated myself with . Therefore I’d pay no attention to that continuity.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Elita would have been my first choice, with Override a close second, and Windblade in third after character development. I never really cared for Strongarm - she struck me as a hall monitor that never grew up.

I've got to agree with @Mako Crab in that if we go with Elita, she needs a head redesign. I'd also redo her colors, either to gold and white with her pink, or to something like this:

[​IMG]
    The original picture is by BHS-ArchetypeRex at deviantart[​IMG].

• Like Like x 4
  6. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

I could dig it, honestly. It would be pretty tricky choosing the right voice actress for that version, though.

And as for all the folks going off on how characterization matters, and that gender shouldn’t matter - if the characterization was good, then why would it matter if OP was female? Also, just drop the whole “genderless robots” thing altogether. There have been plenty of episodes and stories throughout the franchise’s history that establish gender. They may not have clear anatomical differences, but there are genders present on Cybertron.

It would be relatively simple to reimagine the origin, too. Just have Orion Pax so damaged by Megatron’s attack that Alpha Trion rebuilds Ariel into Optimus Prime first because of time constraints. Pax becomes Elite-1 later. Take it from that characterization perspective. Pax and Ariel were both young, naive laborers that were basically the dumb teens that get caught by the killer/monster in every campy horror movie. There was essentially little to no difference between them during that origin story.

It also flips the trope of “sacrificing the girl so the male lead can further his own journey”. Recent Primes have been a bit bland, honestly, and really haven’t felt right. Prime Optimus didn’t have a lot of development, nor much going on beyond the traditional self-sacrifice stereotypes. Cyberverse Prime is as charismatic as dry toast. IDW 1 Prime at least went through an emotional journey, but he didn’t recapture that G1 Prime - one that could get serious, yet enjoy himself. Optimus has been too one-note lately in terms of characterization. Honestly, a new twist on Prime might force some more creative writing that depended on characterization, rather than playing it safe with an OP with a singular personality trait. Hell, with THIS fanbase, the writers would go in knowing they’d be facing a backlash from the get-go. Why not go all out and try something new?

• Like Like x 3
  7. protohuman

protohuman Primus was a pander

Gender for Transformers is weird, especially given the binary. I wonder what would have happened if it was a Japanese show of the same era? Like Ranma 1/2.
    Hope this isn't too political and religious.

8. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Do not care what gender the leader is, just as long as they are written and characterized well. And if we get a female Optimus we should get a female Megs too. Legends Megaempress is a good template to work with.
    442px-UW-Megaempress.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

I just relized that she's using the back of her combiner head as part of the gun. You know what that means.
    (Noises of spinning head laser shooting)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice art! That’s quite the step up from her G1 appearance.
    I honestly forgot about Windblade. I never read the latter half of IDW G1, so my main reference for her is the toons, which never have her in a leadership role. I forgot that she helped rule Cybertron in the comics. So uh... yeah. She could absolutely do the job.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Negatory morning glory

• Like Like x 1
  12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    If I were treating this question completely seriously I would immediately reference all the Alternate Reality story telling I've been exposed to via sci fi, DC's Elseworlds, and Marvel's What If... and say as long as the storytelling is good, I'd be on board with just about anything.

However, since the only variance asked for is female Optimus, I assume this is a bait question to sensationalize the subject. I'll go on record and say that when the next thread asks the opinions of a gay Optimus, my answer will be the exact same.

13. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dosent bother me

14. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't care. Like I don't care about the Unicron Trilogy and Bayverse. To each their own.

15. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NO!

16. Dunking on Cybertronians

Dunking on Cybertronians Active Member

No thank you

• Like Like x 2
  17. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I would buy this figure. CDCDE6C8-94C2-40E8-ADA9-DA0C88BB45C3.jpeg

18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
  19. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Nah, I like my life size sex dolls to look like women. #realdoll

20. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

A female Prime? Sure, I'm open to the possibility of a female Autobot leader, as well as one for Decepticons.

A female Optimus Prime? No, I'm against gender-swapping.

• Like Like x 3