How would you rate the quality of MP44 relative to Commander class CHUG?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RodimusRex, May 19, 2020.

?

If Hasbro released a Commander scale G1 Optimus Prime, would you like it better than MP44?

1. Better, because of the price

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Better, because of the price and quality

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. About the same

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Worse, because of the design compromises needed

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Worse, because of the design compromises and quality

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I see people increasingly debating CHUG vs MP or discussing CHUG as "budget MP".

I think we hit a critical turning point with price to quality ratio with MP36 and WFC.

So I want to engage in a 1:1 hypothetical that makes some assumptions.

Imagine you have the option between the following, assuming neither one takes a slot that was meant for or that could go to anything else:

An MP44 without trailer at the design budget of MP44 and proportionate cost of MP44: let's say half MP44's price. Only the blaster accessory. 9.5 inches tall as MP44 is.

A Commander class Optimus Prime at the design budget and materials budget of Siege Jetfire. Around 9.5 inches tall, not far off from Siege Jetfire. No trailer. Only a blaster accessory.

I know some of you may not want either one. I'm just looking at people's attitudes about price to value for the same size figure.

Are the extra things Masterpiece does over WFC worthwhile if Generations did everything at MP scale? Or is scale and budget for certain characters the main advantage MP has?

• Like Like x 1
  2. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    CHUG isn't "budget MP". MP is overpriced and overengineered CHUG.

I'd honestly take the current ER Prime core robot, scaled up to Commander class size, with only minor engineering improvements and improved deco (yellow eyes!) rather than the MP44 robot. Maybe just remold the truck shell panels to more closely resemble the classic truck mode, but beyond that ... Just do a straight upscale.

But that would only work as a one-off. I wouldn't want it to become the new standard CHUG scale. However if the MP designers would take a few lessons from the CHUG guys I'd be all for it. Might get me to start buying MP again.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Tonkatsu

Tonkatsu Haver of Bad Opinions

Honestly, if they did that and gave him new legs and maybe did something about his butt wheels, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    completelly agree mps arent worth the Price i buy mp beast wars but that is mainly because they are my g1 and we dont have anything else available

• Like Like x 2
  5. KFGatri

Ebay:
    Removing the butt wheels would be a negative for me. He's a truck that grew legs - he should have visible wheels, and a fanny pack is a reasonable way to stow them IMO. And what's wrong with the legs that a little paint can't fix?

• Like Like x 1
  6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

Jetfire's more worth the money than MP44, if that's what you're getting at. Hard to compare the two though.

• Like Like x 4
  7. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Waiting for bite in sales thread.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will take any Optimus over MP 44.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Guess there are people that prefer beef hot dogs over steak. Can't really compare because they exist in two different universes for two different clientele.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Excluding the knee issue and price, MP-44 is a very high quality figure. That isn't its problem, though. The problem is it's absolutely hideous, and intentionally, at that. Takara is apparently so slavish to the animation model of the cartoon that they replace every visible vehicle component with cartoonish simplified stand-ins so he can look like a walking stack of marshmallows just because that's how he looked in the cartoon. But it prints money apparently, so what do I know?

• Like Like x 2
  10. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

They're proportionately long in part to allow for the trailer hitch. I think there's generally agreement that Siege Optimus looks better from the belt to the knee.

But that Earthrise Optimus has better engineering with the Springer-style legs and somewhat better secured crotch. (Siege Optimus can break particularly if you use his transformation joints as articulation points on a weak copy by semi-crunching his abs and posing him crouched.)

So Siege shape and proportions, Earthrise articulation/engineering and proportions from the waist to the knee.

The Buttwheels work for because there was a statue that did it first. They're a bit oddly shaped and not painted like the rear wheels so they can act as 5mm ports.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I think it would be apples and oranges. I’d like a Commander PMOP, for example...but it wouldn’t “feel” like an MP to me. I also wouldn’t mind a “cab only” version of MP44...but it would have to address all of the QC/design issues and would have to be less than $200.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KFGatri

Ebay:
    But in this case the steak is overseasoned and undercooked, while the hot dog, while more basic, is prepared decently.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

I'd like to see them iron out existing problems in the current lines before trying to compete with MP. I thought shrinking the figures/rising the cost was to fix problems but:
    Siege Soundwave and Megatron-Gappy arms and to make it worse, peg holes so you can see right through them and Megatron's head flap won't even lock in.
    Leader Shockwave-Seriously? Just ditch the extras and have it Voyager.
    Leader Astrotrian-Same as above but I'd be more comfortable at the price if the shuttle mode cleaned up better, but it doesn't.
    Earthrise Optimus-Trailer finally included but it looks cheap and deluxe cars can't fit in it.
    Earthrise Cliffjumper-Looks good so I'd be comfortable with the price for the size but it's a parts former with the ass end of a car for a half ass "shield".
    Seige Impactor's hollow as can be legs.
    Seige Jetfire-Looks unfinished from the side in jet mode, Shoulder ratchets that cause un-tabbing when you move them, Inconsistent leg ratchets that I fear are going to fail over time.