How would you rank the movies now after seeing TLK?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Johan, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Well I can't rank them from best to worst since there is no best, so I'll have to go with least shitty to most shitty.

Shitty
    - Transformers

Still Pretty Shitty, But Less Shitty Than The Previous Two Shitty Ones - Dark of the Moon

Surprisingly Shitty Even With Real Actors In It Now - Age of Extinction

5 Five Movies Worth Of Shit Culminated To Finally Show Everyone How Shitty This Bay Nonsense Really Is - The Last Knight

The Shittiest Worst Shit Of All The Shit That Nothing Could Ever Beat For How Shitty It Is - Revenge of the Fallen

• Like Like x 5
  2. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    TF1
    DotM
    RotF,TLK (not sure yet)
    AoE

It's tough to choose between RotF and TLK because RotF had super awesome scenes linked together with cringe-inducing stuff, while TLK to me was solid all the way through, without reaching the peaks or the valleys of some of those RotF scenes.

3. Reask

Reask Predacon

Alright, so did a film marathon before seeing TF5, felt a bit of a waste really but it left me with liking some of these films better.

1. Transformers - Still a good movie.

2. Age of Extinction - Better Transformers interaction but still flawed.

3. Dark of the Moon - Good film but the action nearly put me to sleep.

4. Revenge of the Fallen - Not as bad as I remembered it but can be a boring drag.

5. The Last Knight - What happened? Maybe my ranking will change when its on blu ray but my God that pacing and editing, bleh. So unfocused, which is a shame because this had the most potential.

• Like Like x 1
  4. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    TF07
    DOTM
    AOE
    ROTF
    TLK

I really wanted TLK to end up on top but it is what it is. I just couldn't enjoy this movie as much as the others.

5. IronTik

IronTik Active Member

For me, it's probably

Dark of the Moon - thought it finally got out of it's own way and focused on the bots
    Transformers - the beginning Blackout scene is still one of the best in the SERIES
    Age of Extinction - This COULD of been great with a better editor.
    Last Knight - Some cool action, nice to see Prime put to the side for a while. To long.
    Revenge - I need to rewatch this.

6. Galvatross

Galvatross Hazekiah/Jaegertron 2020! Veteran

5. The Last Knight - This film has some good stuff in it and plenty of enjoyable and funny moments. The beginning was fun in a campy way. It's great having Welker as Megatron again. It's great having the Pathetic Dirty Foursome back. Cogman is hilarious, Hopkins is great, and the junkyard and abandoned town scenes are fun for the most part. However, many threads from the previous film go unexplained or possibly contradict what was previously established. It's like they wanted to make a sequel but simultaneously wanted to please fans who hated the previous movie(s) at the same time. Also, there is no reason for two mcguffins in this instance. There are at least ten or more too many characters. Too many scenes were cut short here, too. The Knight stuff is cool on its own but makes zero sense based on what Lockdown said about them in the last film.

4. Transformers - The best of the films at depicting the Transformers as robots in disguise. A fun and acceptable first foray into live action, but many aspects of the films that people hated are arguably at their worst here. The plot is a bit convoluted but not TLK convoluted...anything to do with the glasses makes no sense. Some characters disappear with no explanation. The robot voices are too processed, a lot of the action is a bit blurry, and the Decepticons barely interact with each other. The hacker subplot is not needed along with several other human characters. On the positive side, the Sam-Bumblebee relationship is well done, the Sector 7 stuff is great, Brawl vs. the Autobots is great, and it's great seeing Transformers and transformations on screen for the first time. This film does the robots in disguise stuff well.

3. Revenge of the Fallen - Probably the best of the films as a camp-filled fun romp. This movie is hilarious, the plot is nonsensical but also fun, and the pacing is actually really good. Wheelie and Jetfire actually change during the movie and are great additions. The techie conspiracy rivalry between Leo's group and Simmons is hilarious. Beautiful scenery, and it's great to see combining in the movie. Unlike the mostly silent brutes of 2007, the Decepticon interaction is lots of fun here. One the negative side there are too many characters, the Fallen and his final fight could have been much better, and this movie is the king of geographical continuity errors.

2. Dark of the Moon - This is the best of the films in terms of how it portrays the Autobot-Decepticon war and how Cybertronian civilization has declined as a result, and it does this with the characters of Sentinel Prime, Megatron, Optimus, and their relationship with each other. This, like AOE after it, cuts back on the earlier humor quite a bit, and like AOE it's a little darker in tone, but that is to both films' advantages. The Space Race stuff here is great, seeing the Soundwave and Laserbeak manipulate humans and ally with Dylan is great, Dutch and Simmons are great, and Megatron as a desperate warlord willing to work with former enemies is great. On the negative, I think Sam was getting a little grating by now, I would have liked to see a little more from some supporting robot characters, and I would have liked to see a little less human military action and more bot-on-bot action. Still, this is a great Transformers film with a great twist, main villain, and plot.

1. Age of Extinction - This is the best of the films at showing Cybertronians to be sapient, sentient race living in a larger, more dangerous universe and my pick for the best overall. This film changed the status quo and character roster from the first three films and changed the few returning characters in some ways and introduced new concepts. Some of these things made fans very uncomfortable, and THAT is one of the main reasons it's the best in my book. The robot cast is executed wonderfully; the voice acting is excellent and the best of the series, it is has the best Autobot death, a great main antagonist who has interesting motivations in Lockdown, a group of Autobots that understandably has misanthropic views, and a manipulative Megatron who plays the humans. This is the best portrayal of Prime in the movies, and he feels like a real main protagonist along with Wahlberg. Cade, Joshua, and Attinger are great, Tessa is underrated, and Gill Wembley is hilarious. The subplots are connected narratively and thematically, it feels like it takes place in a larger universe, and it doesn't have too many characters like TLK or ROTF. The action is much clearer. The story and characters make sense in the context of a post-DOTM Movieverse, and Transformium is actually an interesting and underrated idea that explains a lot of things about Transformers. On the negative side, Shane is a poorly executed character, Darcy and Su don't have much to them, and there are some scenes that could have been edited a little better, but overall this is my pick for the best film, however unpopular of a pick it may be.

None of the films are perfect, but I enjoy them all to some degree, with the Kruger films being more enjoyable than the non-Kruger films.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dark Skies

Dark Skies Autobot Megatron

1. Dark of The Moon
    2. Age of Extinction
    3. The Last Knight
    4. TF1
    5. Revenge of the Fallen

DOTM is my favorite because it has the original characters and good fight scenes throughout. Sentinel was amazing too. I enjoyed AoE because it had a very different feel to it than other Transformers movies, Lockdown was great, and it introduced (supposedly) a Transformers universe. The Last Knight was disappointing at first, but I think if I saw it again I'd like it even more. Hot Rod and Cogman were two of my favorite characters, and Bumblebee finally got his voice. Megatron also had the best design here. TF1 and RoTF are both still enjoyable, but they are boring at times. The opening Shanghai fight in RoTF is probably my favorite scene from all of the TF movies though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Starscream0625

Starscream0625 AKA Martial Prime

News Credits:
    1. TLK
    2. DOTM
    3. ROTF
    4. TF2007
    5. AOE

Yup, I'm crazy. I never thought DOTM would be beaten out, but after seeing TLK again, I love it. Absolutely love it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    1. Dark of the Moon
    2. Transformers
    3. Age of Extinction
    4. Revenge of the Fallen
    5. The Last Knight

I was expecting more of the same with TLK. My expectations were too high...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Galvatross

Galvatross Hazekiah/Jaegertron 2020! Veteran

I really like the diversity of opinions here! Not everyone has to prefer the same movies. In fact, I wish more fans would think for themselves and actually have their opinions and rankings.

• Like Like x 5
  11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Best

1. TF1
    2. AoE
    3. DotM
    4. TLK
    5. RotF

Worst

12. JazzGambit

JazzGambit Well-Known Member

TF1 :rock :lolol  :scalper 

TF2 :poop 

TF3 :banghead: 

TF4 :rip 

TF5 :deadhorse: 

• Like Like x 4
  13. Hubcap

Hubcap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally agree. All of the movies have something to love as well as weaker points. People appreciate different stuff. All the opinions here are sensible and I respect them all.

• Like Like x 1
  14. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    From the least awful to the most awful in a series of generally poor movies

07, AoE, DOTM, ROTF, TLK.

15. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

On second thought, this is my ranking.

1. Transformers
    2. Transformers: The Last Knight
    3. Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    4. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    5. Transformers: Age of Extinction

I did enjoy TLK a bit more than the first movie, but objectively, the first Transformers is a better put-together film.

16. Jazzmustlive123

Jazzmustlive123 jazz died thinking he's the coolest

1. TRANSFORMERS
    2. DOTM
    3. ROTF
    4. TLK
    5. AOE

17. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw it again today. My final final final FINAL rankings:
    TF2007 - 5/5
    TF:TLK - 4.5/5
    TF: AOE - 3.5/5
    TF: ROTF - 2.5/5
    TF: DOTM - 2/5

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. DOTM

The best balance of Transformers and humans. This movie really brought brought the 'spotlight' on the TF.

The action was pretty good. We had Prime swooping down and laying waste to the Decepticons, Prime vs Sentinal, Prime vs Megatron (if one can call it a fight).

The whole invasion scene felt 'epic' which movies like the Avengers seems to borrow heavily from.

This is how a Transformer movie should be done sans the crude toilet humor jokes.

2. TF07.

Almost took top place for me if not for the shakey cam effects, and only hearing Optimus 'one shall stand, one shall fall' speech off camera. Basically, the movie 'cheated' by having that portion of Prime's fight with Megatron off camera.

3. ROTF.

Actually the plot was good but the whole execution of the movie such as editing was a hot mess.

But the robot action was plentiful and exciting. Example, opening scene where Optimus fell from the sky and him taking down the Deceptivon, the rescue of Sam, the forest battle and the final battle.

4. AOE

The handling of the characters was off and so was the whole story. Sure Sentinel betrayed the alliance but I found it a tad too drastic to have the world blackballing the Autobots after they saved the world twice.

And the way, the human made TFs transformed made my head spin.

The only redeeming thing was we again got cool transformers battle. Example, Prime's fight on the farm, throw down with Galvatron, then Grimlock, that big over the top battle with Prime riding the Dinobots and the final battle with Lockdown.

5. The Last Knight.

The editing and the story was decent. The problem for me was that we had too 'little' revelant TF action. We only had two memorable battles. The one at the abandon town and Optimus' fight at the ignition room.

The first 60(?) mins starts off good. The knights' battle, the Decepticon "trade", life in the junkyard and subsequent battle at the abandon town. The rest were pretty minor fights IMO such as Prime taking down the knights.

Things went down hill fast once the scene went to England.

You know there's a problem when the flagship character, Optimus Prime only appears in the first 45-60 mins (and even that is limited), then appears in the final act fighting his best friend (Bumblebee), then fly off only to appear in the last 10-15 mins? That's a receipe for disaster.

The entire movie felt like watching a movie of 'friends of the Transforners' rather than watching the bots themselves.

No knock on the actors and actresses, who I felt did an amazing job. But the direction on focusing on humans had got to go.

The main hook of a Transformers' movie are the transformers...let's hope the movie studio remembers that.

19. OverRun

OverRun Active Member

1. TF1 - Solid pacing and characterization, entertaining
    2. DotM - Interesting plot; Sentinel was possibly the most compelling villain we've seen to date
    3. RotF - Subpar; was carried by the action scenes and Jet Optimus
    4. AoE - Poor pacing, really dragged on; out-of-character Optimus and unjustified third-act setting change were low points
    5. TLK - I felt completely uninvested in both the plot and the characters throughout; even the action scenes were uninspired

Some other thoughts:

I was ecstatic to see Transformers on the big screen back in 2007, and I still thinks the first film holds up as a self-contained reinterpretation of the Transformers universe. With each subsequent release, however, I'm increasingly convinced that the first was a fluke and that Michael Bay (along with the writing team) has no understanding of the source material they're drawing from. RotF, DotM, and AoE were wrought with flaws in terms of characterization, pacing, and crude humor in my book, but held their own in the action department. DotM offered a compelling story overall, and my biggest complaint was Optimus' out-of-character execution of Megatron in the final act.

Then we get to TLK. At this point, I pretty much knew what I was getting myself into, and my expectations were mainly that the action scenes would be well-done and might be accompanied by some interesting (if inconsistent) lore. Unfortunately, this film represented the low point in the franchise for me. Bay delivered an abundance of half-baked character concepts and plot points throughout the first half of the movie, but ultimately failed to make me invested in any of the characters or factions. The final battle could have been truly epic, but was instead basically a less-exciting rehash of the Armageddon plot using Cybertron in place of an asteroid. The "Unicron=Earth" idea is interesting on paper, and it's clearly a setup for the plot of the next film, but it'll take a lot of explaining to feel even remotely plausible.

20. BumblebeeNotOP

BumblebeeNotOP Autobot Second-In-Command

News Credits:
    Looking for a Camaro to get rid of godawful VW Bug
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    DOTM
    ROTF, AOE and TLK (tied)
    TF1

DOTM remains to be the best due to the awesome robot screentime, awesome characters, awesome fight scenes and chase scenes and it has the most emotional scenes in the entire franchise in the form of Ironhide's death and the Autobots leaving Earth (on the Autobots leaving Earth, I know it was a cliche that they would come back but the way Bee and Sam made their farewells almost got me to tears, for some reason). ROTF, AOE and TLK are tied together, as they were good but does not exceed DOTM's. ROTF had one of the most entertaining battle sequences in the entire franchise, AOE had entertaining characters and an interesting way to expand the franchise (I seriously thought DOTM was the end), and TLK had entertaining characters, battle sequences and Unicron (awesome Prime reference, as I loved Prime). As for TF1, I may be in the minority here though. While it's not bad (I don't think any of the movies are bad anyways, my opinion), it could have been better. I just think that TF1 is overrated. I noticed TF1 had the most human screentime as of all the movies. Right after Bumblebee was captured, it was like a good 15 minutes later the next time saw the Bots as we had to listen to the exposition between Banachek and Keller. I still owe TF1 for getting me into the fandom though.