How would you portray Optimus Prime in the reboot?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Archforce, Dec 4, 2018.

1. wellgoshdiddlydarnit

wellgoshdiddlydarnit Well-Known Member

Maybe make him this leader who just tired of everything. A leader in which the war's taken a toll on. He cares deeply about his Autobots and everyone who looses their lives of course, but more like someone who just wants the war to be done with. He finds it difficult to connect wirh his soliders and doubts himself as a leader and just wishes that this responsibility that was thrust upon him was lifted off his shoulders. He can barely look at himself in the mirror, only reminded of all the lives he's taken. Whenever someone tries to talk to him about it, maybe a close friend like Ratchet from Prime or IDW, he just says he's fine and gives a tired smile.

I want an Optimus who'll do it for the greater good, but it breaks him every step of the way.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Sound Only

News Credits:
    This is a bit rough but I was inspired to come up with a kind of outline for how Orion becomes Optimus Prime, and wanted to homage his various past origins as well.

------

He was forged in Iacon and mostly served as a lowly dockworker until learning about gladiatorial games in the city of Kaon, so he'd begin training while off-the-clock with his close friends Dion and Ariel to become an athlete. Once he feels he's ready, he departs Iacon. Ariel stays behind to continue her studies and work but Dion comes with him, wishing to cheer him on. Kaon is a pretty seedy and scary place, but the two managed to locate the pits where these competitions were held.

It's in these games that Prime first meets Megatron, as well as other shady characters, and even some friends-to-be. It becomes increasingly clear that these are less 'games' and moreso death matches for a crowd of bloodlusting warriors, thugs and criminals, including some wealthy upper class. Despite this, Orion gets into it, and he does well. He becomes noteworthy for being one of the only warriors who refuses to 'finish off' his opponents, but this also serves to give him a negative and 'holier than thou' reputation to some, as well as admiration and respect from others.

He gets into the criminal scene, and makes some bad decisions, he becomes more violent and arrogant as time goes on, and frequently butts heads with Megatron. Megs will goad him to 'finish him off', and he never does, believing he's ultimately more righteous and moral than the thugs he beats up. Dion see's the changes in his friend and is understandably worried, wishing he'd get out of these savage sports and go back to Iacon with him, Orion starts to get annoyed with his presence and constant concern and eventually just tells him to get lost.

One of the fellow gladiators hears of this, whom is a lackey of Megatron, and they orchestrate a match and convince the naive Dion to challenge Orion so he'll be convinced to quit the games. Obviously Orion refuses to lay a hand on his friend, but tries to convince Dion to go home with his harsh words. Things take a bad turn when it's revealed that this was all concocted to teach Orion a 'hard lesson' about life: Dion is badly beaten up and executed in front of him.

Enraged and in anguish, Orion fights back, and he fights harder than he's ever fought in his life up to that point, and he even does well against the group at first, but he's simply overwhelmed, beaten within an inch of his life, and left to die in the gutters of Kaon.

He's recovered by a wise, sagely mech named Alpha Trion who often travels across the planet, and is nursed back to health. He helps Orion come to terms with what's happened in his life up to that point, the mistakes he made and how dearly they cost him, and under his tutelage and guidance, helps mold him into a better, stronger person. He then introduces him to the chairman of the Council of Autobot elders, Xaaron.

Orion works hard, trains to become part of the Elite Guard, meets some friends along the way, namely Jazz. He doesn't graduate, but thanks to his hard work and friends he's made, he's noticed by a chief of police in Iacon, and wants Orion to become an officer. While on the force he befriends fellow law enforcers Prowl, Roller, Clamp Down and Deep Cover along with a few others. He makes a name for himself on the force and has several run-ins with Megatron and his followers, becoming more experienced and hardened as time goes on, learning to keep his desire for revenge and anger he feels in close check.

He eventually befriends a small, friendly and brave messenger that's called "Beeper", usually just called Bee for short. Orion becomes rather close to him, maybe because in some ways he reminds him of Dion?

War breaks out, Megatron and his peers leading a violent revolution and uprooting of the established order, Orion swiftly joins the Autobot militia and makes his way through the ranks, until one day becoming the supreme commander of the entire military, then christened Optimus Prime.

--------

If you took the time to read my obnoxious headcanon, I appreciate it. That's all I got for his past at the moment, I'd like to add a bit more, but not make it too convoluted.

• Like Like x 2
  3. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i feel like having him lower on the social ladder would be more compelling and kinda a homage to g1 "war dawn". a lot of recent media tries to put him and megatron on equal standings up until the conflict. I feel like reboot IDW should have had him as the aid or assistant to a prominent senator, not an equal to megatron, and he would rise from there.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I'd put him lower in the chain of Command. Give him peers he can regard as equals as well as subordinates he can know on a personal level.

I'd also make him idealistic and heroic but constantly challenge those ideals by the story. Have him be someone who is energetic and proactive in his goals, who won't sit by and watch injustice or hardship befall those who don't deserve it. Make him someone who's used to dealing with things on a personal level be slowly brought into situations that many would rather pass in favour of the big picture. He needs to be able to pal around with his comrades and banter with his enemies without losing sight of what's important.

Optimus to me is someone who isn't perfect, but doesn't suffer as a character from that imperfection. He needs to be a very human superhero, one who is emotionally invested in other's well-being and is forced to pay the price for that compassion. In Peter Cullen's own words, he needs to be "strong enough to be gentle." He's not an endlessly stoic military commander who's only humanity is mopey self-reflection, nor is he a blank slate for the reader to insert themselves in. He's everyone's cool dad first, leader of the Autobot's second.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Shauntell HOlm

Shauntell HOlm Active Member

Hmmm... obviously this is a touchy subject for some, and others like me are very passionate about it. But Optimus Prime SHOULD NEVER be left out of Transformers. EVER. And he should NEVER EVER be turned into Nemesis PRime where he conveniently learns 'the error of his ways.' I agree with some others who have stated he needs to be more like his G1 self, or like the good cop in the IDW comics where he is a good mech just trying to do the right thing. I liked G1 because he was more approachable. HE was not stoic or hard edged. Bayverse butchered him bad. He is NOT a murdering fragger. I want an Optimus who can joke around with his mechs, who truly has a good spark and is not down played because of .... well, whatever it is that's going on in these nutcase writers' minds.

I want an Optimus / Orion Pax who is in love and honors his beloved Ariel / Elita One. I want a story where is friends with Dion like in G1 and shows WHY Primus chose him, and what set him apart from others. I liked an earlier comment where he has a strong sense of right and wrong and because of that, because of his honesty, and kindness and fairness as a person, not just a leader, he becomes a Prime. I think a sense of betrayal could jump start him, too. I like the notion of a friendship with Megatron before things go downhill, and like in the previous installment, Megatron's darkening ideals and changing morals could upset Orion, and eventually nearly kill him, similar to G1 and the previous installments.

Optimus is iconic. He is my favorite and I have been very frustrated with how things have been handled. His character has been butchered and my fear is that the damage is irreparable. Hasbro doesn't give a damn either and it is very discouraging.

6. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Or Sam Damon

• Like Like x 1
  7. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

I actually feel tempted to suggest going the opposite way with him- not making him an 'everyman' hero who works his way up. Instead roll things back to "State Games" where Megatron- who at that points thinks of himself as an everyman hero- despises 'Optimus Prime' on principle - "I'll brook no interference from the likes of you!"

I'd step away from the 'Orion Pax' concept and have 'Optimus Prime' be his name from forging- namely that, as a Prime, he's essentially born aristocracy, one of the Primes, the elite - whether that name is because they're each the first forged from their particular mold, the first child of their particular hot spot, or whatever reason makes them- undemocratically- elite. Not the leader of his world, but born into a life of privilege and superiority, where a great many Primes just rest on their laurels and enjoy being the idle rich.

Optimus, however, is one of those who rebels against it and wants to actually do something with his life, rather than just accept what he was born to, specifically, he wants to become a medic, and tries to work his way to that rather than just buying his way in, by getting a spot on the Iaconian gladiatorial team. Despite these good intentions however, 'bots like Megatron, Ironhide, Grimlock, essentially see him as a good contender for Upper Class Twit of the Year playing at having a day job, when they first meet him, and potentially they aren't far wrong, to begin with. Megatron, in particular, having dragged himself up from the gutter to where he is, is burningly incensed by someone like Prime apparently treating his way of life as a hobby, and its arguably possible that his reaction to Optimus makes Megatron fall into evil just that little bit harder.

Meanwhile, Optimus Prime himself, despite this unpromising start, defies the expectation by actually being good at the things he's chosen to do- and someone who was seen as the very epitome of Spoiled Rich Kid Playing Hero winds up earning respect from his peers in spite of, rather than because of, his title, though this is why people like the Dinobots get off on the wrong foot with him to begin with. When war breaks out, he's conscripted as a field medic, and performs well, but essentially is forced to take a command role when his commanding officer is killed in the field, gets his team- including Ironhide, the unit's former XO, wounded in the same strike that killed their commander, and who previously had a chip on his shoulder about Prime's origins nearly as large as Megatron's own- back to base safe, and from then on, rather against Optimus' own inclinations, gets promoted out of medical and in to 'command'.

Thus, Prime isn't a military rank, it's an aristocratic one, somewhere between a medieval prince and an archbishop, perhaps, as one of the holders of the Creation Matrix program, but his military standing comes of his own accord.

Eventually, after a few hundred years of war, his unique status- as the best senior officer the Autobot Army has, who also happens to be a Prime, and thus capable of using the Matrix to invigorate new protoforms with life, sees him put in command of the Ark project, to pilot a super-advanced starship of mysterious origins (and the ability to reconstruct its passengers and crew to blend in on a new world) away from war-torn Cybertron to settle and find a new life, so that the Autobots might survive this hopeless war.

Rather unfortunately, on account of that early antipathy and several clashes over the years, the Decepticons' leader, Megatron, has always kept a close eye on Optimus over the years, and as such opts to follow him....

Personality-wise, I'd probably want him to aim for early-period Furman- definitely not the clinically depressed Powermaster- rather, someone who has ups and downs, is fundamentally a white knight on a fiery steed who is supremely moral, supremely courageous, and supremely kind- but also secretly rather a maverick, immensely snarky, and possessed of an almost legendarily bad temper if pushed too far- however, for this not to be apparent to those who don't know him well.

Let someone like Hot Rod think they're dealing with a rather forbidding, distant, awesome figure... and then be surprised when in battle he literally throws his trailer at a Decepticon and takes the oil out of Megatron with a fairly lewd joke that would make a Dinobot blush.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I will say, while I don't think it's a bad thing per-se, I really don't personally prefer the "Megatron and Optimus were old friends" angle.

It makes it all too... personal. Like the whole war is about a vendetta between two individuals, verses a conflict headed by two people with diametrically opposing views and goals. Optimus and Megatron don't need to like each other to hate each other, and when I think of the best Optimus/Megatron rivalries, they never involve the characters having any sort of relationship before the war. I imagine it how Batman and The Joker hate each other not because of any personal history, (ironic given they do have history but that's specific to those characters) but simply because one is good and one is evil. Megatron hates Optimus because he stands in his way of total domination, and Optimus hates Megatron because he's a megalomaniac who murders and destroys to get what he wants. Does it need to be more complicated than that?

9. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

That's a very fair point. One thing which I did feel that Animated did very right indeed was to make being Megatron's arch enemy something that Optimus had to work toward. There's been quite a bit of talk in this thread about the problems of a hero who's 'the ace'- but in addition to those points regarding the issue that 'the ace' is usually only a flanderised misconception of their character anyway, additionally, it's only a problem if your hero is not only 'the ace', but also completely static. So, perhaps it's best that, at the point the war starts, Optimus is nobody of any consequence whatsoever to Megatron; just another Autobot aristocrat. It's only later, perhaps, when Ravage reports "The Autobots are about to launch a long range starcruiser of unknown capabilities and mission, codenamed 'the Ark', under the command of one "Optimus Prime", and Megatron laughs:

"What? They put a *Prime* in charge of a starship? I hardly think we need to bother attacking that. Based on most of the Primes I've encountered, I imagine he'll be so busy performing a barrel roll for his beloved peasants that there's every chance he'll crash this starship on top of Iacon and solve two of our problems for us at one fell swoop. Muah-ha-ha, how ironic.... yes, what is it, Soundwave? I've told you before not to interrupt me when I'm laughing."

"MEGATRON, RECOMMEND THAT YOU PERUSE THE WAR RECORD OF THIS PRIME BEFORE MAKING YOUR ASSESSMENT."

"Oh, if you insist... oh... he was at that battle, was he? He led it... and he was the one who broke the siege of Iacon... led the Elite Flying Corps... he destroyed my planetary turbines... and led the charge which defeated the third army at the battle of Tyger Pax? Starscream! Prepare Astrotrain for boarding, we're going on a little journey..."

• Like Like x 2