How would you have Optimus and Rodimus coexist?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Proud Nintendo, Mar 23, 2021.

1. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Optimus and Megatron, actually. And Kelly. Megatron injected some of his spark energy into a stasis pod, and then the pod scanned a tanker truck (with poor Kelly behind the wheel, trying to escape) and Optimus. Thus was born the mighty Scourge!

• Like Like x 1
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    That's about the crux of it in my world of thought, although Optimus would essentially be a Vice-Commander to Rodimus. Optimus doesn't "de-format" like Rodimus when he loses the Matrix because his form was never beholden to it by not being the "Chosen One"...so he keeps his form as he did when he led the Autobots. I imagine there would be a bit of mentor/student relationship as well.

And if this had been a "what if" involving the 1986 movie, Optimus would have been severely damaged but not taken off line. The Matrix would have been removed for safe keeping - and eventually find its way to Hot Rod - while Optimus was reconfigured into Ultra Magnus, who now generally needed his armor to survive in robot mode. Several subsequent episodes could revolve around the fact he was stripped of his armor and heroically fighting Decepticons in a weakened state while the other Autobots tried to figure out how to repair or find his trailer armor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    Being soft-spoken when not fighting or otherwise dealing with an enemy is a key part of his character. He needs to be strong enough to be gentle, as Larry Cullen advised. The problem is that a lot of people confuse gentleness with passiveness, pacifism, or hesitancy to fight. If you're any of the latter, you're not gentle, you're just harmless. A character that's really gentle is someone who has a lot of power (physical or otherwise), yet is able to rein it in until it's time to put foot to ass.

I watched a couple of clips of Ethan Hawke's John Brown on Youtube, and my favorite was the one on the train, where he's quietly threatening the ticket-taker to treat the lady with respect. He didn't have to shout - his reputation did that for him.

• Like Like x 4
  4. CannonBlaster

CannonBlaster Well-Known Member

I would have Rodimus be second-in-command if I were to do that

5. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Maybe through time travelling shenanigans. Have Rodimus Prime be some Kyle Reeves\John Connor hybrid who goes back in time to prevent some sort of cataclysmic event. Maybe have him meet Hot Rod, who in turn has some identity crisis over how bad things might turn out if he becomes leader. Alternatively, I'd pull a Days of Future Past and have Rodimus's psyche from the future sent back to possess the Hot Rod of the present.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Kaleb Hart

Kaleb Hart Toy maker and storyteller

If I were to reinvent the G1 continuity, I'd have Optimus be put into stasis lock for the rest of the movie rather than flat out dying letting the film play out like it did originally.

He would take an Alpha Trion like role to Rodimus, giving him advice and reassurance in times of doubt, but would ultimately have a backseat role in the show until he checks up on the Autobot crypt after receiving a strange Autobot destress signal...

From there Optimus would be brainwashed into sleeper agent, rather than revived as one, by the Quintessons and blown up in the Quintessons trap like in G1, the Return of Optimus Prime would play out as it did before and transition into Headmasters rather than the Rebirth where events would play out the same there as well.

In Masterforce Rodimus, Blurr and Kup would make a brief stop to Earth to check up on things there, with Rodimus making a remark to Ginrai about his transector's uncanny resemblance to Optimus and telling stories to the Masterforce with Kup about Prime and the Cybertronian civil war, leaving the group with some wisdom of the ancients (which would probably be the episode title) and heading back into space where the story would play out the same from there.

• Like Like x 3
  7. agent j 15

agent j 15 Your Mothers Lover

Agreed - I like a more intense Prime every now and again but the soft-spoken, gentle nature is a KEY part of the character. It’s all about moderation, in my eyes - outside of combat, Prime should be basically a teddy bear. In combat, however? He shouldn’t relish in what he does, but he shouldn’t hold back at all either - he should basically function like John Wick, an incredibly deadly and efficient instrument of death, taking no pleasure in what he does but also having no remorse.

And yes, that’s one of my favorite scenes from that series - as much as I love watching slaveowners get decapitated it’s way more badass when words alone make people bend to your will, and it should totally carry with Optimus (although I also wouldn’t be opposed to him performing a decapitation or two)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    Pretty much. If he's gonna relish anything about it, it ought to be that the people he's killed aren't going to hurt anyone else.

The look in his eyes when he gets up and towers over the ticket taker does more than any shouting ever could.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to see a situation like presented in Energon, but with it during the war and the idea about them butting heads over how to fight the war and what tactics are acceptable is actually followed through instead.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Ah, thanks for the correction, it's been a while...

11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Have you read my fan fiction? It's right in my signature. Long story short... Hot Rod was one of the first Autobots to be reformatted for the Council of Primes. He was physically rebuilt without using the Matrix into a form similar to his original Rodimus Prime form except he now also has a helmet resembling Optimus Prime. It was decided that all of the Primes would be rebuilt this way.

This is my sort of head cannon way of explaining why Beast Convoy/Optimus Primal, Lio Convoy, Big Convoy, Great Convoy and all the other members of the Convoy Council from Japanese Beast Wars, all look like the original Convoy/Optimus Prime. I don't know what the actual cannon reason for that is so I basically wrote my own origins for the Convoy Council to exist. So if you can imagine Rodimus Prime with an Optimus Prime head that's essentially what this version of Rodimus Prime looks like.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 ACCESS FLASH

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I would use Hot Rod as an example to show that you don't need fancy looks or a magic macguffin to be a leader as he grows and develops as a character and becomes a leader-figure.

• Like Like x 3
  13. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    The idea that I've been kicking around is that Hot Rod doesn't ever become a Prime because, well, you can't become a Prime. Prime isn't a military rank or religious title, but rather an aristocratic surname. Primes are members of the Dynasty of Primes, so Primes are basically born, not made.

Basically, Hot Rod's arc would be the opposite of Optimus' arc. Optimus would come to learn that, even though the Dynasty of the Primes was flawed, he shouldn't outright reject the surname because he can play a part in redeeming it simply by being who he is. He rejects the Dynasty's corruption while at the same time accepting his surname so that he can make it mean something. Hot Rod would probably start out wanting to be a Prime, and he would probably look up to Optimus Prime. However, he would come to realize that he admires Optimus because he's Optimus, not because he's a Prime. As such, Hot Rod realizes that he doesn't need to be a Prime to be a hero.

I dunno if that makes any sense, and I think that it seems kinda contradictory, but basically the idea that I'm going for is that being a hero is what matters, not your title or anything else.

• Like Like x 7
  14. bufferunderrun

bufferunderrun Well-Known Member

In my fanmade cannon the matrix isn’t a magical device that magically update a normal autobot into a prime but a storage device where the past primes stored their knowledge, taught and experiences.
    Once an autobot is accepted by the system it should go through a physical update done at cybertron facility using the blueprints inside the matrix itself and with the aid of vector sigma to become a prime.
    Just a note the matrix is just stored into the torso compartment of prime otherwise they had to carry it chained around the neck like pimp galvatron did.

15. SuperSunnyDee

SuperSunnyDee Sense is like cheesecake.

Ideally I wouldn’t have them coexist. To me, Optimus and Rodimus are two different leaders for two different eras. Optimus led during a time of war while Rodimus leads to protect a time of relative peace.

Although if I had to face the challenge of having the two work in conjunction, I would have Optimus serve as an advisory figure to Rodimus. Maybe something more of a “hands off” teacher to Rodimus. Optimus would teach the ropes but encourage Rodimus to follow his own path, being chosen to lead in a world mostly different from his predecessor.

16. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

To simplify: Optimus Prime deals with earth. Rodimus deals with Cybertron. Fortress Maximus deals with interstellar space and the outer rims. That’s my canon...

• Like Like x 2
  17. PrimeSlave

PrimeSlave Well-Known Member

Ah, nice to see some love for Energon's concept of Optimus & Rodimus co-existence!

I'm more or less along the same lines. With a couple of (never-to-be-finished...) story projects of mine, I've utilized some of the elements from both, G1 and Energon (to name a few) Rodimus and that's who I'd like them to coexist in general. Anyway, I'm a fan of both of these approaches:

*Rodimus is already a seasoned warrior and he has slighty different views on some things than Optimus
    That's cool and it'd be interesting to see this concept of him and Optimus trying to understand, and occasionally butt heads with each other every now and then.

*Hot Rod grows, learns leadership and takes more and more responsibility over the years...
    Now, this obviously needs an extensive time-frame within a story, but it'd be great to see his development. The Regenarion One comic touched this a little bit with Optimus mentorin Hot Rod to carry on the torch, but I'd like to see something more subtle. One could draw a bit of inspiration from Armada as well, where Hot Shot, while not the strongest character around, has bit of a growth going on thorough the series and he eventually grows as a leader too. Obviously, his stint as a leader of the Autobots was cut relatively short when Optimus returned, but it didn't downgrade him. He still had a big role, acted somewhat mature and that carried to Energon as well, even though the series didn't utilize that growth too much outside him mentoring Ironhide in the beginning.

But yeah, you get the idea. Start off as Hot Rod, slowly gaining more responsibility and growth as a character and developing leadership qualities. Adopting the name "Rodimus" over the course of the story... And over time, he might end up having a few disagreements with Optimus, even challenging his views and all. That would make good development for both, as Optimus would have to deal with new, fresh and different views and some healthy challenge. It's not about disrespect towards his wisdom, but merely a dialogue between two generations, so to speak. And if Optimus perishes, Rodimus is not just suddenly upgraded by Matrix through burning justice or destiny or whatever, but is actually a more or less logical choice to lead and maybe even chosen by his subordinates to lead. He could still have much to learn, of course, but he's a promising commander and already rather seasoned warrior nonetheless.

That's the road I'd take, anyway. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 ACCESS FLASH

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:

19. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    In my fan canon/story whatever. The Matrix is an ancient relic passed down since Prima and each bot who takes it is essentially handed the title of Prime. The Matrix stores the memories and history of each Prime, however the lineage of the Primes is a tainted one as many of the Primes who take the mantle end up falling down a dark path. Since Prima and the Thirteen Primes in my canon are essentially demigods that means Optimus & Rodimus each are demigods, only a Prime can kill a Prime.

In my fan canon, Hot Rod comes in to join Prowl's forces of Autobots on Earth after the Autobot Civil War divides the Autobots, Optimus' Autobots are arrested while Prime, Jazz, & Ratchet go into hiding. The Decepticons attack the prison the Autobots are being kept in to free their own soldiers and in the process Prime returns to fight Megatron. It is chaos and Optimus Prime is believed to have died as Hot Rod personally sees Megatron impale Optimus. But in fact Optimus is still alive and leaves the Matrix to be found by the next who is deemed worthy. At this point Optimus believes he is no longer worthy of the Matrix as he has caused the Autobots to split and Ironhide died at the hands of Sentinel Prime and goes into exile. Hot Rod goes on a Matrix/Soul search quest to become Rodimus Prime, during this time he faces Nemesis Prime who is essentially the physical manifestation of Hot Rod's doubts of living up to Optimus' legacy as well as all the negative thoughts Optimus had. Hot Rod becomes Rodimus Prime and leads the Autobots against the Quintessons and eventually Nova Prime & Unicron. Meanwhile Optimus in exile lives out on Paradron helping out alien species affected by the Autobot/Decepticon war with help from Elita One, Glyph, Lancer, Greenlight, Trailbreaker, & Wheeljack. Only a select few know Optimus is still alive and Megatron suspects as much.

Megatronus Prime, the Fallen, returns after a time skip and starts to work out his master plan to return Cybertron to a golden age and bring back Solus Prime in the process. Basically wipe out 99% of the Cybertronian population across the Universe so as to reserve the Energy and use the energy from the deceased to revive Solus Prime. During this time Rodimus becomes a mentor to the next Prime, Windblade, he briefly went into exile as well to learn more about the forbidden history of the Primes and unlock more of the Matrix's potential. Rodimus Prime takes a backseat as Windblade becomes the new leader and pretty much works in conjunction with Cerebros' Headmasters team and Springer's Wreckers to track down the relics The Fallen is trying to obtain. He eventually finds out Optimus is alive and confronts him. They both end up confronting The Fallen who reveals his plan before leaving both Prime's teams stranded. While Rodimus is upset with Optimus for faking his death they both know they must work together if they want to save Cybertron. They make it back, they fail, 99% of the Cybertronian population is killed, and they must work together to bring everyone back Endgame style. Optimus sacrifices himself to kill The Fallen, Rodimus becomes Hot Rod again, and goes off into space with the Wreckers to find any rogue pockets of Decepticons who refuse to a peaceful union while Windblade & Soundwave lead a united Autobot/Decepticon/Colony Cybertron.

20. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Not at all. While it makes sense for leaders to step down from their position as they age and grow weaker, since Transformers have shown to just replace parts, that's not really an option. So it only really makes sense to have Rodimus be Prime while Optimus has passed away. Having Optimus around just devalues Rodimus.