How would you have made MMTE/'LL better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nelomaxwell, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think I would've never bring Rewind back from the dead, instead Chromedome goes into a much darker more disturbing place, perhaps he becomes one of the villains and ends up siding with Getaway and the mutineers, hell he's the one reprogramming them with the mnemosurgery instead of bringing in Froid and Sunder, i mean Chromedome's has a shady history to begin with, this would've been a more logical move for this character to develop rather than just making him a sad boy till his husbando from an alternate universe appears and then proceed to stop being interesting as a character.

• Like Like x 10
  2. K2flygurl

K2flygurl Banned

Same with Lug. If Skids, Ten, Nightbeat and the others don’t get to come back from the dead, then neither should those two.

• Like Like x 5
  3. redconvoy

redconvoy Redconvoy

Ebay:
    The way I would have improved it was to keep focus on the main story of the Lost Light Crew trying to find the Knights of Cybertron. If he did that, then he would have had a solid conclusion of his story before they canceled it.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Or if the Knights of Cybertron conclusion actually was worthwhile.

It's a fricking suicide clinic...that's automated....and that's it. I kept expecting it to be a fake out itself and there was something more to it...but nah.

If there was a time to reveal it was the Quintessons all along, it was that time or something legitimately amazing or mindblowing.

• Like Like x 5
  5. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Nah man, don't you see? It subverted your expectations, you thought it was something when it turned out to be the opposite! Who cares if it was disappointing or didn't make sense or it didn't matter in the long run, as long as your expectations were subverted, then it was good enough.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    By not chickening out on Chromedome’s secret

• Like Like x 4
  7. TheLastLight

TheLastLight Member

Really loved MTMTE. LL is a whole different story, I did love the last few issues though. And I loved the ending to the story, I know a lot of people hated the suicide clinic thing, but the book was never really about the quest. It was about the characters and THEIR journeys.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Kill off Tailgate and Nautica.

Focus on more of the background crew members like Rollout, Hound and Inferno.

There were plenty G2 blank slate characters that could have been used instead of the original characters like Riptide, Atomiser and Lug.

Kill off Fulcrum instead of Flywheels. A religious Decepticon could have been interesting.

Develop the earlier suggestion of Hot Rod having an affinity for the Matrix and actually have him become Rodimus Prime.

A few more Decepticons in the crew. Maybe some known or new Seekers like Acid Storm and Hotlink.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

1. I would've made Nautica a stammering, legitimately awkward, can't-read-a-room mess instead of just "adorkable". I actually hated her character arc because she was way, way too likeable for an arc about overcoming social awkwardness to even make sense. Even from her first introduction she was bantering with Chromia like a totally socially functional person, and then in the rest of season 2 there wasn't a single person she wasn't immediately friends with. I dunno, maybe Roberts just never met anyone who had serious socialization issues, but I have, and it is not that pleasant.

2. When Tarn explains why he wears his mask, he says it's to stop people from seeing him "grin like an idiot" instead of "close his eyes", which is just cringy. He was never shown to be that repentant anywhere else, and this way it would've played into the conflict of his facade of control vs his sadistic tendencies, which actually did come into play in Dying of the Light.

3. Don't kill Nightbeat.

• Like Like x 4
  10. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

I would have less OCs. Roberts was good when the series had less OCs and focused more on obscure characters. But he kept introducing new characters who stole the Spotlight. Alot of the characters he could of used had potential.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

A problem not related to the story but the art. Characters with faces and mouths all made the same expression. Happy, sad, angry, whatever. It would of made sense to give the characters more uniquely shaped faces to distinguish them.
    Remove Rodimus and Skids' face plates and tell me whose who. More of a nitpick though. The book is colorful and nice looking. But this isn't the best criticism, so bleh...

12. NanakoPreame

Twitter:
    Yeah, Milne's a good artist, but he tends to reuse a lot of designs for a lot of characters. The circle "ears" and the chin strips come to mind.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    ...are you being serious? He didn't start that... the Transformers designers in the 1980s did! Off the top, Jazz, Bluestreak, Ironhide, Ratchet, Skids, and Optimus all have 'earmuff ears' (Prime's have antennas sticking out), and the chinstrap was a very common feature of the toys.

Even the idea of reusing design elements for separate characters... you know who really started that? NATURE.

Also, as far as comics and new designs go, Don Figueroa was a superstar among the fandom doing chinstraps and circle-ears for DW's mainstream comics back when Milne was just an okay artist doing Convention exclusive books.

• Like Like x 2
  14. NanakoPreame

Twitter:
    I didn't say he started that. I said he tends to overuse some design elements for some lesser known and original characters.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Destron Enforcer

News Credits:
    Its quite simple if you really think about it.

What I would've done is just focus on delivering a good story that was solid with strong characters while also being sure I don't go too far with humanization like IDW often does. I would've stayed off of social media and not pandered to a small but very vocal and toxic minority of people who call themselves 'fans' and fujoshi that aren't mentally capable of grasping the spectrum of relationships / friendships male characters can have that doesn't involve them wanting to boink.

The end result would've been a much better story, but without all the shallow pandering it wouldn't have been as eagerly lapped up as MTMTE / Lost Light is / was and probably wouldn't have received all the soulless and vapid praise, awards and attention it did ultimately receive.

Have you honestly taken the time to read / listen to that painful long ass interview with Roberts once Lost Light was finished? So many of the 'questions' were just tumblr-bait cringe and "omg what about THIS Ship" crap with only a few genuinely interesting bits of info sprinkled in about the actual story itself.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. pluto

pluto Banned

Counterfactuals are as easy to slip into as they are useless. So aside from my non debatable point above about needing more skybyte, I will say instead that MTMTE/LL's ability to still inspire apoplexy in tfw's notoriously retrograde commentariat years after the fact is it's sweetest fruit.

• Like Like x 1