How would you feel about an more antagonistic Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, May 2, 2020.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

What if there was a Transformers series where Optimus died again? Nothing special right? Well, duh. The twist? Hot Rod is brought in as leader! Awesome!
    But, this time around he has more evil traits, and slowly disassembles the Autobots. He's not a Decepticon, but in his eyes he views himself as the savior. Not an IDW Star Saber though.
    Opinions?

2. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, I don't think Hot Rod would think of himself as a savior. He is very self-conscious of his flaws to the point of not being able to see the things he can do very well.

Instead of more evil traits, I would go with post-trauma stress and just an unhealthy amount of self-hatred. The only way for him to turn evil would be for him to lose the people he really cares about the most and basically giving up on everything.

In a way, he would become like Rambo, someone who just needs love and an understanding ear, but if you push him too far, he will bring hell upon your place.

So yeah, if he were to turn evil, it would be because of his mental state.

• Like Like x 6
  3. LockdownTF

LockdownTF Well-Known Member

Sounds like more of sentinel type thing

• Like Like x 3
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    Sounds too out of character for someone like Hot Rod. Honestly I wish they did that with Pyra Magna rather than do nothing with her, even if I dislike the Torchbearers in general and Pyra Magna was a terrible character because she was just some judgy bitch with this unwarranted sense of self-importance, they could have used that and made her into a compelling antagonist but nah. The best part is when she punches Optimus for some reason, and he just sorta takes it rather than putting this bad OC in her place.

The point being, rather than change a character for no reason, perhaps we can flesh out one who hasn't had the chance to shine yet. A better written IDW-styled Getaway could fit in that role, with room for some nuance.

Sure you could just say "In this alternate universe Hot Rod is more evil" but that just feels lazy and boring. He can have negative traits without altering who he is.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Whomps

Whomps The World's Okayest User

News Credits:
    It sounds like something someone would write because they still haven't gotten over Transformers the Movie :p 

• Like Like x 8
  6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Isn't this basically what happens in Animated, but with Sentinel? It's been awhile since I've seen that series, but I seem to recall that's basically what happened.

I agree with everyone else, it's way out of character for Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheUltimateBum

Yeah, but Sentinel and the Elite Guard were a complete joke in that, so they really weren't credible as antagonists.

• Like Like x 1
  8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I think it's okay for Autobots to have conflicts and clashes, but to have an utter douchebag in their ranks is out. (I never understood why anyone would tolerate TFA Sentinel Prime)

So if Hot Rod should be more hot-tempered or rebellious, that's fine, but that's as far as it should go.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hot Rod having more of a temper and or a very self-critical outlook of himself (when he compares himself to Optimus) is fine but I wouldn't want him being made a villain.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're hinting at the Deviations comic.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I'm more of a fan of the first two seasons of G1 (and the characters featured therein) than the third season, primarily because my father, who introduced me to the series, had largely stopped watching by the time the third season came around, but even I thought that that comic seemed really mean-spirited. Poor Hot Rod/Rodimus. :( 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Though I'd seen a few Season 1 episodes, I really got into Transformers in late 86 with the UK comic just as Target 2006 began. Seeing the cover of issue 79 with it's headline, "Galvatron...Ultra Magnus...the New Leaders are here!" made me want to know what happened to Prime and Megatron.

It was mid September, the week before my 10th birthday, when our local toy shop usually started stocking new Transformers for Christmas so Galvatron, Hot Rod and the other 86 characters were prominent on the toy shelves.

I loved the portrayal of Galvatron in Target: 2006 and the Movie, cunning, powerful and Not crazy. That Christmas, my brothers and I got Galvatron, Cyclonus and Scourge.

So because of that, and seeing the Movie the following year, I loved Galvatron, Hot Rod and most of the Movie cast afterwards. Except Kup that is.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Why do you hate Hot Rod?
    No, seriously.
    See, when crafting stories you have to show motivations for actions.
    Making Hot Rod/Rodimus evil or bad just because its an interesting premise but without foundation leaves it looking like the writer has nothing creative except for the easy cliche: turn friends into foes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

I like him!
    I am just asking if people would like to see an more villainous portrayal of the character. Alot of franchises when rebooted give a particular character more heroic or evil traits.

15. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    But why Hot Rod?

16. Dolza_Khyron

Whether or not they are credible antagonists or not, doesn't change the fact that they did it.

17. TheUltimateBum

True, but still, had to get that out of my system.

18. Dolza_Khyron

I think the point remains though, Sentinel is way more likely to fill that role than Hot Rod. Hot Rod is full of self-doubt and guilt. That's the flaws of his character in which he has to get over. None of that says "look at me, I'm your savior!" Hot Rod is quite the opposite of that. He doesn't want to be the savior, nor did he want to be leader at all. He just wants to drive around fast, and have fun like he used to. But he does the whole leadership thing anyways because it is the right thing to do, and it has to be done.

Sentinel however, seems to fit this role a lot better, because we have many examples of him being the kind of guy who wants his fellow bots to look up at him. To be their savior. It just fits his character more. It's the opposite of Hot Rod's character.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheUltimateBum

Agreed. Hot Rod wouldn't think of himself as anyone's savior. In fact, I think that if he were to turn evil, it'll be because the enemy pushed him way too far (like killing his closest friends).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dolza_Khyron

Yea, I think any evil he might do would be unintentional, and be for something he thought was right, or was talked into doing by one of the fellow Autobots, or most likely by someone in the Matrix itself. Which could be something interesting to explore. Perhaps, it's not just the wisest, 'goodest' Autobots who get into the Matrix, after all. Perhaps, a Decepticon got in, you know, through deception. And, is now guiding Hot Rod to do things. This Decepticon would be telling him to do things, because they are the right thing.

And, you have Hot Rod becoming more and more of a dictator that way. Because he is right for manipulation if it is someone he grows to trust. He is the kind of bot who listens to the advice in the Matrix, and takes it as the right thing to do.

But of course, you'd have to make it an arch where he learns eventually that what he is doing wrong, and what he is doing is harmful, and he must fight the Decepticon's ghost within the Matrix itself.

But, Hot Rod is too good-hearted to do this sort of thing on his own. Even something like vengeance, really isn't his thing. He may be more into the justice role, though. Going to an extreme for justice. But, I can't see him being the kind who'd want to murder someone even for justice. But, with the help of the Matrix, and a Decepticon's ghost inside, perhaps he is over-punishing the guilty.

• Like Like x 1