How would you downsize a Bayformer movie collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alpha Omega Trion Supreme, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    How would you downsize your Bayformer movie collection?

My collection has grown outside of the bookcases I use, and I need to downsize to have room to continue collecting the figures and characters I prefer. Essentially my Optimus Prime collection has grown to the bottom shelf and now the Bayformers are definitely on the chopping block. I have an idea of how I'm going to do it, but I was curious if anyone else went through this and what your priorities were while you did. My collection essentially consists of every Transformer that was in the Bay movies and had a release in the toyline that was as close as possible to their appearance in the movie.

The problem for me is two-fold. First I feel like I don't need characters in two seperate scales(human alliance and deluxes), and second since most of the Decepticons pretty much have no character, I'm not all that much attached to those particular figures.

I have the human alliance figures(Skids, Mudflap, Bee, Sideswipe, Jazz, and Barricade), and I'm thinking of ebaying them all off, but keeping the motorcycles. I have all the deluxe and voyager(ultra?) figures that have a movie appearance, sometimes in more than one size. I'm thinking of getting rid of some of the Autobot deluxes that are dupes of characters and pretty much dumping all of the Decepticons. I already have a Starscream and Megatron collection from various lines and the Bayformer versions will stay where they are with those, but all the other Decepticons are getting the boot. Sorry, Bonecrusher, I know you hate that.

Essentially I'm thinking I'll take it down to a small cast of the main Autobots in small scale: Premium Ironhide, Best Buy Ratchet, Battle Blade BumbleBee(holding a legends Ravage like he's about to skin it), Mudflap, Skids, the Target exclusive Ice Cream twins, RotF Sideswipe(I like the silver), the HA motorcycles, legends Wheelie and Premium Jazz. I'm leaning towards giving Jolt the heave-ho, and I'm wondering if I should now buy a voyager Sentinel to replace the leader version.

What has me hesitating on this is that I know re-acquiring some of these won't be all that easy, and probably be for more in the future than what I sell them now. Premium Blackout, HA Barricade and the HA Twins especially. Anyone have any opinions or stories to share on doing this?

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  3. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd keep hold of your HA figures - the ones that exist (Bumblebee excluded) are by far and way the best versions of the characters. I'm selling off the majority of my movie stuff, but will be keeping the Human Alliance Autobots and BB Bumblebee only. This definitive Striker Prime on the cards will lead them.

4. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep Leader Sentinel rather than getting the Voyager one. The Leader one is much better scaled, and has his sword and shield, as well as just being more detailed and accurate.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Getting rid of some of the duplicates doesn't sound like a bad idea. Just keep the copy of the character that you either like the best or the one that fits into your collection the best.

If you have a good sized storage bin or some large boxes you could test drive your plan by taking some things off the shelf and then seeing how you feel about it a week later. If you are still happy with how things look after a week then you know it's safe to sell off or trade whatever you have in storage.

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Sell any characters with superior versions and then get rid of (without matches preferably) characters/toys that you don't want, while giving some to charity.

7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I'm going the route of eBay lots. Choosing my favorite version(s) (especially the non-basic HA's) of the characters and putting everything else into lots sorted by movie.

8. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Two words: Shrink Ray :) 

9. AMG

AMG Old School

Pick the best version of each character and sell the rest off.

10. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    That's good advice, and I'll do that. Thanks. :)  I'm going to take the dupes, the decepticons and the HAs off the shelf, and see if I notice or care a week later before I start ebaying them off.

I think I'll have no problem with the dupes. I love the DotM Sideswipe mold better than the RotF one, but the RotF one has the silver and is the more eye-catching of the two despite the DotM one being able to pose rings around the RotF. Deluxe Ironhide and DotM Ratchet are excellent molds, but I don't need them because of the voyagers.

The Decepticons I might have a problem with. Blackout's transformation scene in the first movie was a memorable moment for me, and I always liked the scene with Bonecrusher and Prime.

I think what bothers me alot is how much of a footprint the HA's take up. I forgot to mention I have the HA Wreckers too. That's part of the problem too, there's not enough character for all the space they take up.

11. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Agree 1000%!
    My first thought was putting them in a garbage disposal. But then, most Bayformers already look like they've been through a blender, so who'd be able to tell?

But seriously, keep the ones you really want, get rid of the multiple versions of one character, and keep the ones you think might be hard to find later. Most movie toys were so widely available they shouldn't be hard to find again should you want to.

12. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Most movie 1 stuff would go and keeping HA and the best mold for each character beyond that.

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I'd call Waste Management and get one of those big dumpsters deliverd to your house.

Seriously though,I'm having the same thoughts of getting rid of most of my movie figures.I'm running out of room and they're going to be the first ones to go.

14. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's hard to know without knowing what you have. Any advice we give is shooting blind.

I personally have dumped about everything but DoTM Powerglide, DotM Thundercracker, HftD Terradive, HftD Breacher, NEST Brawn, and DotM Sideswipe. Very few of the guys actually in the movie had any character worth talking about by the end. That's not a swipe at the movies. They were action films, and action films tend to be peopled by stereotypes.

15. Duwian

Duwian Wants FoC EVERYTHING

I would sell off every character that isn't in the movies, and their lesser quality duplicates. The non-movie characters don't reflect the movies, so you don't need them in a movie collection... Know what I mean? Basically, the best way to remember the movies in toy form is to keep the movie characters only, and while you do that, keep the best representations of them. Sell everything else.

16. icewolf74

icewolf74 Well-Known Member

Ewwww...Michael Bay Transformers. Burn 'em all! Burn 'em all until they are no more!!!!! :yuck 

17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a question I always ask myself whenever I get ready to sell anything. Is there any possibility I might want this figure again in the future, and how easy to reacquire is it likely to be? If there's any doubt in your mind that you'll want these figures again someday, and you think they'll be hard to get, don't get rid of them. Put them in storage if you just can't keep them on display.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haha, actually if I'm being serious I'd go the storage route as well. Scratch that, I AM going down the storage route, most of my movie stuff is stored in the loft, its not ideal but I'd rather not get rid of them.

When I'm on TV in 30 years time as a compulsive hoarder I want to show that I've been hoarding cool stuff.

19. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    I'd trade the size properties with FOC- oh.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I got rid of my Bayformers from my collection about a years, ago and did a good deed in the process i gave them to a pair of boy's whose house burnt down and they had lost all their toys.

Unique situation.