How would you display MP Combiner group?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tenkaros, May 20, 2014.

?

How would you display MP Combiner group?

1. Individual bots.

15.5%
  2. Combined mode.

57.1%
  3. I’ll buy 2 of each and display them individual bot mode and combined.

11.9%
  4. I’ll buy 3 of each and display them individual bot mode, alt mode and combined.

4.8%
  5. I'll be changing and re-arranging group members between the modes.

10.7%
  1. tenkaros

tenkaros Well-Known Member

Hi.
    Since we’re getting hints that first Masterpiece Combiner is possible (at least Hasui is willing to do one) I was wondering – how would you display it?

Let’s assume that individual bots are virtually cartoon accurate (as reality allows it) and Gestalt form is also as close to cartoon model as possible, even if it meant additional parts like fists and feet.

As I’m looking through collections, most of us display combiner groups in their gestalt form. In case of G1 – it’s no brainer, as individual bots don’t look very impressive). However in case of 3rd party Gestals the individual bots look quite good, but are seldom displayed individually. I believe that combined form takes less space on shelf and giant bot looks just much more impressive!

Saying that – MP individual bots could look as impressive as current MP Cars. And with just few releases per year (repaints excluded) our Masterpiece shelves have probably enough space for at least one combiner group.

As for me, I’d love to display them individually especially if it was a Decepticon combiner group (preferably Constructicons or Combaticons). MP Cons desperately need some army build up and both Constructicons and Combaticons had enough air time to show a little bit of personality of individual members.

Of course there’s always option to buy two of each (or even three! ;) ) to display them in combined and individual mode at the same time (and even in third – alt mode), but I believe that for most collectors (me included) this solution would be too expensive.

What are your thoughts?

2. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Man, I'm constantly rearranging, reposing, and transforming my MPs. Tenkaros, all of the options is my answer. Bot, vehicle, combined, lined up, running, fighting, you name it. All of them.

I won't buy doubles, though. Can't afford that and don't have room.

3. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I would go for mostly as individuals, sometimes combined.

4. bscalimero3

bscalimero3 Well-Known Member

I am missing the choice for changing arround also. I have no room or Money to afford each Transformer twice. And what is the Point of a Transformer, if you do not transform him from time to time?

So, yes, for me, changing and re-arranging the guys works good. My Uranos is spilt in his individuals at the Moment, Hercules is combined. The TFC-Predacons are in their Alt-Modes, really digging them.

Please update Poll! Thanks

5. Wakaoz

Wakaoz Well-Known Member

I hope their scale would be in correct ratio to e other MPs, in combined mode, it should be huge and amazing! :D 

6. tenkaros

@Dean ML, @bscalimero3
    Sorry guys - I've posted request in Tech Support for adding new poll option:

"I'll be changing and re-arranging group members between the modes."

7. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as awesome as displaying the combined mode may sound, I don't have enough space to do so. I'm probably gonna take pictures of the combined mode then display them individually.

8. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

One team in combined mode. If there are more than one team then the others will be individual.

I prefer one large bot per display. Helps him stand out.

9. GreyFox787

GreyFox787 Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. I'm not at a point in my life where I could afford 3 of each member to display in each mode, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to. Right now I've been buying two of each MP figure, but that's just to keep one sealed as a backup (either to sell later down the road for a profit, to open if something happens to the one I'm displaying, or - if neither of those happen - to eventually open it up to display the character in both modes)...I'd likely do the same for a combiner. If they were priced the same as the Autobot cars have been, I'd order three of each, but still keep one sealed for the time being.

10. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe, depending on who it is maybe buy and extra to display in robot form with the G1 figure like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However at the beginning and until all the figures are out for the combiner I'd do something like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The baller in me says I'll go with buying two sets of the figures: display one in combined mode and the other set in individual forms.

The realistic side of me says I'll probably only be able to afford one set and display it in combined mode.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Combined mode. It's more impressive and it takes up less shelf space.

13. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

One for combined
    One for bots
    One for vehicles
    One MISB behind every single one of them
    THEN DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN FOR THE REPAINTS
    THEN DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN FOR THE HASBRO VERSION
    THEN DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN FOR THE HASBRO VERSION REPAINTS

14. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be all over the place. I would even buy flight stands to make it look like they're mid-combination!!

16. tenkaros

Poll updated with new option.
    So far the results are not surprising - combined mode is mostly preferable. It's interesting that over 15% are planning to buy two or more of each.

I think that most of us play with them and transform from time to time. I could not resist to do it at least once a week. ;) 
    However after I'm done I'm returning them to their display shelf with my favourite display configuration. And 95% of the time they're in bot modes.

17. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

Combined mode. I'd play around with them from time to time but combined mode is why I bought all of them in the first place.

18. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    changing them up..

19. Shockblaster

Shockblaster likes Kate Upton

Combined mode, for the most part.

20. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Depends on which combiner it is. The Combaticons and Stunticons all had a bit more characterization than, say, Devastator, so I would display them in individual robot mode. For one like Devastator though, there weren't really any standout character traits or moments that made me remember each Construction as more than a combiner part, aside from Mixmaster's speech pattern- and that's after rewatching the series as an adult.