How would Optimus Prime react to a human trying to commit suicide?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GoldenKnight1212, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

All of the primes except for movie prime would try to stop it.
    Meanwhile in SG
    COMMIT ROOF JUMP BOI! DO IT.

2. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    He'd probably react the same as you/a superior space traveling human reacting to a primordial insectoid Martian on Mars wanting to commit suicide?

:p o_O 

3. Reygn

Reygn Banned

I don't think your comment is necassary here; I am normally fine with these kinds of jokes, but this thread is about the issue head on.

4. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, most primes would save him, and SG is a nut job, so wouldn't be too far off.

5. Reygn

Reygn Banned

True, but it still feels off to me, even for the internet, not to make you feel bad though.

6. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime Paleontologist Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Optimus would quit his job as a fictional character and spend a long while trying to help the writers who thought it was even a canon-worthy idea to have him watch suicides. Once this was finished, he'd help Movieverse Optimus through psychological therapy for sadism.

Get help, GoldenKnight1212.

7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Not watch suicides but it is a canon worthy idea to have him deal with real world issues... I mean it worked for Superman. As long as the writers handle the matter seriously and don't try to make a joke out of it.

8. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

Erm no offense but why the interest in mental health suddenly?

10. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I feel like this may have been something that the later years of IDW optimus may have dealt with. he tries to talk them down and be reasonable but when he cant reach them and they try anyway, he either forcefully saves them or tries and fails, both having repercussions for him

• Like Like x 1
  11. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

This right here is instantly what i thought of when i read the title.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GoldenKnight1212

GoldenKnight1212 Well-Known Member

I have and continue to seek help from professionals, I am under no moral obligation to tell anyone here that I have seeked help and currently in a depression recovery process. I never came here looking for help, if I wanted help from people from TFW, I would have made it clear, the title says what I came here for. The reason why I've posted two depression related threads because the subject of mental illness has become of great interest of me, especially if it's a theme in any TF mythos.

I am perfectly fine.

Movie Optimus had literally only just met Jetfire, only just got brought back to life a few moments earlier, and Jetfire only sacrificed himself to give Optimus to defeat the Fallen.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    What you're suggesting is that movie Optimus has no compassion, doesn't care about fellow Cybertronian lives, and is willing to sacrifice others to stay on top.

14. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Pretty much what I was thinking. Every Optimus that isn't Shattered Glass Optimus would try to help, and even SG Optimus might try to take the opportunity to sway someone to his cause. It's who they are, from G1 through the Beast Era, Unicron Trilogy, all the way up to Cyberverse.

15. GoldenKnight1212

Not really because Optimus expressed sadness when Jazz died, lost his temper when he learned that Ratchet got murdered, turned his head away in horror when seeing Leadfoot get killed. Optimus never sacrificed Jetfire. Jetfire voluntarily sacrificed himself. Optimus never asked Jetfire to sacrifice himself. Jetfire sacrificed himself to give Optimus the power to stop the Fallen from destroying the sun, a star that over a billion humans can't live without.

16. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Not really... he didn't seem to care all that much. He just said some stuff and then tossed the pieces away like it wasn't a big deal.

I think he was more pissed off at being betrayed by the humans he once protected and trusted than at Ratchet's death specifically.

I can't even remember his death... These movies are really bad at TF deaths leaving any sort of emotional impact and this is even worse since I can't even remember how he died.

Yeah but he never showed any empathy towards Jetfire's death and wasn't even remotely creeped out by the idea of wearing his corpse! It shouldn't matter that he didn't know Jetfire before that. Having empathy for someone's life isn't dependent on how well you know them. Saying well at least it's no one I know shows a lack of empathy.

17. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    I was gonna say something like this, but Saber Prime beat me to it.

18. GoldenKnight1212

He never tosses Jazz's two halves away, you're making things up now. He says "Aww Jazz... We lost a great comrade, but gained new ones. Thank you, all of you, you honour us with your bravery" --> clearly illustrating that he's unhappy with Jazz's death, but remains upbeat because the Autobots and humas became victorious. I am willing to grant that the filmmakers should've put more emphasis on Jazz's death, but saying that Optimus didn't seem to care that much is just silly.

The humans betrayed Optimus by killing Optimus's Autobot friends, Optimus clearly expresses anger towards them, hence why he says "They slaughtered Ratchet! I'm going to tear them apart!" while smashing a lampost and proceeds to destroying KSI labs as a reaction to Ratchet's death. What further cements this is when he says "They're not your property. They were my friends" to Joyce saying that the dead Autobots are company property. What further cements this that Optimus says "We're not your technology" while smashing glass to vent rage at Joyce for saying that the Autobots are "technology". What further cements even more is when Optimus says "How many more of my kind must be sacrificed to atone for your mistakes?"

Go to 1:22

Now you're just nitpicking.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Nope that actually happens.

Right after he says that before he starts saying.

That's the exact moment when he tosses Jazz's two halves aside. He's not holding onto the body the entire scene, he only picks up Jazz's body for a few seconds.

How does that clearly illustrate that he's unhappy with Jazz's death? There's absolutely no emotion in his voice. You want so see someone unhappy with someone's death, watch Hamlet or Doctor Who... not the Capaldi era...

Heck even watch Beast Wars. Rattrap HATED Dinobot and bickered with him constantly yet he clearly and ironically is the one most effected by Dinobot's death. You can hear it in his voice and see it in how he moves NONE of that is present with Optimus when Jazz dies.

The fact that he's able to stay upbeat when someone died is exactly why he comes across as uncaring. Jazz is dead but we won the battle so who cares. Oh wait I guess I should say something... One emotionless line of dialog is all we get.

This kinda contradicts everything else you're saying.

Nope it's saying exactly the same thing as the contradicting statement above just in a different way.

The thing is though he already knew the KSI were hunting down Autobots. He specifically went there in the first place because he was ALREADY pissed off. Ratchet wasn't what set him off, it just added to the anger he was already feeling.

That actually proves my point. He never specially names Ratchet during that entire rant. He says they, we're, my kind but never once mentions Ratchet specifically. That kinda shows he wasn't really all that worked up about Ratchet's death specifically but about the betrayal. There was so much going on there I don't think he even had time to think about that one specific death.

There's no such thing as nitpicking when it comes to showing compassion and empathy towards the suffering of others.

20. D15M45

D15M45 Player Hater

I'm starting to see a pattern