How would I go about starting a 3rd party transformer company?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Tracytron, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Tracytron

Tracytron Well-Known Member

Planning out my 3rd party company (order of being released wise

So I'm sold on what my main line will be and that I'll base my scale on masterpieces (more specifically MP-10 and MP-22) but I don't know what figure I should make my first one. With how much I've been digging into transformers lately with my new discovery of headmasters I feel like I've barely scratched the surface so I need help from long time fans.

At the moment I'm thinking a masterpiece style tf prime ratchet and then a masterpiece style earth mode rodimus prime/hotrod. For rodimus prime/hotrod I think I'll make him a Lamborghini just obviously because it's the sporty and popular car at the moment or whatever and that fits his name and stuff but since it's an EARTH mode I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to fit in his massive spoiler but I'm sure I'll find a way with it still sticking to the whole robots in disguise thing.

I'm open to suggestions hit me with everything you've got...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about a Dodge Viper?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please make Voy Seekers around the size of the Generations Sunstreaker/Sideswipe/RedAlert. :) 

4. Tracytron

I'm 14 so keep in mind I don't know much about marketing and such but I'd like to start a 3rd party transformer company...

I've already decided the name of it and it will be "tracyformers" and I've decided this due to my obsession with thunderbirds are go since I was 3 LOL...

I'd like to know how much it would cost to start it and I know why the figures are so expensive (they can't produce as many copy's as hasbro or takara therefore to make a profit they have to make it more expensive) but I'd like to start it as soon as possible and I just thought that my mum could hold the legal rights to the company until I'm old enough...

Something I've already realised is going to be a big problem for me is if my first ever figure isn't of a popular character or if it's a incarnation that isn't very popular and at the moment I'm thinking a G1 style tf prime ratchet... I've already figured out the transformation and I've based it off of the cyberverse aka legends figure and just made it so the doors are on sliders that come to the chest and then you rotate them and tab them into the chest and his shoulder pads just fold down so they actually sit flush with his shoulders but I'm very consurned that I won't make enough profit from it so I really need suggestions...

Oh and also I'm only up to season 3 episode 14 of G1 so I by far don't know everything there is to know about G1 such as with headmasters and targetmasters...

5. Hellscream12345

Hellscream12345 One shall fall, you Prime!

you don't want to do that, there's no future or money left in this business, and by the time you are 30, some of us will be 70 or else. enjoy school, youth , do sports and date a girl(s).

6. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    No offense intended, but you won't get anywhere unless you are are rich, know Chinese, live in China, know the market/game.

You're also way too young (again no offense!) to even be dreaming up such a thing at the moment.

I would take the advice of the poster above :)  enjoy life! If you can't make your own company yet, at least buy more 3P and support the game :D 

7. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hate to be a buzz kill, but you really can't start a 3rd party toy company at age 14. Who is designing the products? Who is sourcing a factory in China? Who is communicating and overseeing production in China? Who is distributing the products?

Starting a business requires significant capital, which I'm going to assume you don't have. Apologies if I'm wrong though.

There's a reason most of the 3rd party companies starting with small run "garage kit" upgrade sets. It allows you to build up some capital with minimal risk. But it could take several tries to make something that you can sell enough of to make some money.

So I wouldn't say don't try, but take a serious look at what you really want to accomplish, and what you are realistically capable of. Start really small. Buy a 3d printer, learn some modelling, and figure out an item that there's demand for.

8. researchicon

researchicon Well-Known Member

Maybe you could make a gun for G1 Optimus prime that fits properly. A replacement head for G1 Bumblebee that is carbon accurate. G1 Megatron realllllly would benefit from a cartoon accurate head.

Start small :) .

9. Tracytron

What are "voy seekers"?

10. Tracytron

Thanks for the tips and this goes to all of you

11. Razor24

Razor24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like your ambition but there is a lot to running a business. You need to have a lot of money to start a business. So unless you are a child of some wealthy parents who can fund your business, no bank will lend you money.

Not being discriminating but your age prevents you in doing a lot of things and running a business is one of them.

Maybe hang onto this dream and revisit in about 10 years time.

12. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor

It means Voyager sized Jet decepticons, specifically; Starscream, Thundercracker Skywarp and the Coneheads.

So you want to manufacture Transformers figures. What's your background? Are you a artist or engineer? Do you have any samples of your designs?

13. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

You should probably take all that ambition and drive and think about getting your foot in the door as an eventual intern at a toy company.

From there, you make your next strategic move!

14. DrakkenZero

DrakkenZero Might Gaine... might not.

Ebay:
    I'm going to go a little less defeatist than the others and say that, while it's not possible to do this NOW, with the speed that 3D printing is evolving and the birth of some new technologies that let you design and print objects and convert them into injection molds, by the time you're 18 or 20 or 25 you might indeed be able to do "all this" by yourself, without being in China or having expensive contracts.

So... preparing for that as a possible outcome, I would say learn as much as you can about 3D printing, especially designing objects in 3D. If home replication really does become that much more of a reality, then the thing that's going to set you above others isn't the technology, it's design. Art. Skill. And you can practice all of that, now.

https://www.tinkercad.com/ is a website that lets you design 3D printable objects in your browser. It has lots of handy tools, and is pretty intuitive, while also being free. Maybe play around with it for a bit?

Then, take your files to a local library or school, a lot of them have 3D printers and will let you print things for only the cost of the resin. These copies aren't going to be that good - even if they are good, the technology isn't there yet - but it'll help you learn about space and placement and how different pieces work together.

And failure.

Lots of failure.

Also, maybe take apart a bunch of Transformers. Get yourself some tiny screwdrivers, a nail, a hammer, a heat gun. Go to a thrift store and buy some junkers, and sacrifice them. Learn how the professionals design their insides. See how teeth and gears work in them, how the joints are set up, how parts are connected.

• Like Like x 1
  15. robh

robh Decepticon

This is constructive. Nothing wrong with someone having work ambition at such a young age. I did.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Weezie

Weezie COVID SUCKS TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Do you want to design the toys yourself, or run the business? Because those are two different things and require different skill sets. Most artists aren't great businessmen and vice versa.

You're only 14, that's very young. I assume you're still in school. If you want to get into business, a good start would be taking Business Studies (or your national equivalent) at school.

If you're more of the artistic type, you could study 3D modelling. Many western designers have worked for 3P in China.

Sounds like it would be LOT of hard work though.

17. Tracytron

Ok thanks (once again to all of you)

18. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

It's not unrealistic but as others have said there are certain things you need to be able to do. Unless your plan is to hire engineers then clearly your initial foray will be to engineer a figure yourself.

If this is a true desire of yours, learn 3D modeling, get a 3D printer, and start practicing. Don't jump head first into complex toys, do some simple figures that teach you about tolerances and grow from there. A lot of transformers seem intuitive after the fact but when starting from scratch it's trickier than it may appear.

Have fun with the process.

19. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Many posts seem to discourage you pursuing this but I think that's a great age to start working towards it. The question you have to ask is what do you want to do, who do you need to do it and what do you bring to bring to the table.

Your dream is a start, you don't want your Mum to hold the rights unless you want her sued if your making 3p known characters using a company in the the west. If you are doing original designs and concepts, then you could certainly have a chance.

What is it that you want out of it? Is it money? Recognition? Your time might be better spent making money in other ways. If its to get the toys you envision to market then that's different. Just make sure your ideas would appeal to a broad audience or it wont fly, you won't get financial backing and you wont get top talent at your side.

Not sure how long you have observed the 3p scene but a lot goes into it. Sketches, Basic computer designs, artistic clean up, molds, production of parts, assembly. There is so much more from the little I know of it.

KFCs crashhog and dumpyard is a good example although the likeness to a junkion is too close to home for a co where courts would hear trials. It started as a sketch, then a working transforming design that looked like crap and 3% of collectors would buy and then it got jazzed up and refined by a talented artist/designer. Many tests with different materials and tolerances with molds, then production qc distribution. etc. Keep in mind that's a KFC product after many successful products and years of trial and error.

They started with small easier things like cassettes. Try to make a plan if you decide you do have a great idea, if you really want it that bad, you can accomplish it and the people that said forget it will buy your products at 60yrs of age.:) 

20. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

It's really not any easy path, but you should start with learning how to kitbash and work with resin for gundam models, and stuff like that. From there you can get started doing commission work, the way print artists do. enter contests and art shows and put studf up on etsy. Then you need to go to college toget a business degree so you learn how to run a business ( it's not as easy as it looks), pay your taxes, manage your employees and many other things.

You can also go to an art achool, become good buddies with the professors so they hook you up with a job at Hasbro, become a Hasbro designer, quite after five years and then study business so you don't run yourself into the ground with a lack of business accumen.