How would I (and you) do an animated series?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Toad84, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

First and foremost, the animation.

I would do it in the same exact style animation style as Archer. Archer's animation style is simple yet sleek yet allows for even stock/reused animations to be varied.

It took 150 artists 11 weeks to do about 4 episodes(working on all simultaneously) when it started.

I would hire 750 artists to work a bit more, 5 episodes at a time by 5. So 25 episodes in basically 3 months.

Before I even got the art going, I would plan two seasons ahead. Get writers from series such as Buffy/Angel, Ben 10, shows like that.

Each season would be 25 episodes and there would be two a year, one in each half of the year. Each series would be overarching with a big payoff at the end.

As far as story goes, it would be similar to the original IDW continuity in character use(e.g. Gigatron and Galvatron separate from Megatron, morally gray characters, etc). It would also mix in elements from other franchises. Hound would be the grunt packing lots of weaponry, the combiner Dragonstorm would be present, Bumblebee being a warrior and not just a scout, Megatron being layered and not just outright evil, Starscream being ambitious and duplicitous yet still loyal to a degree, etc.

The first 10 or so seasons would be on Cybertron and the back drop of the war. You would see the rise of Megatron and him taking over Cybertron and Orion Pax becoming Orion Pax. Optimus and Megatron would not interact much if at all.

You would see the evil of Deadlock as he would be one of the major big bads chasing Optimus Prime and his eventual turning to the Autobots as Drift.

After several seasons a time jump would happen and shift to Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    You would need money. And funding. Or Contact Hasbro or maybe even Boulder media. 10 seasons is a lot for a transformers show though so it would have to be cut down quite a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

I dont think so. There is enough material there for years and years.

4. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    Yeah but if this is gonna be an official thing I doubt Hasbro would want a show going on for that long.

• Like Like x 4
  5. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do a 2D animated series and have starscream be played by mark hamill

• Like Like x 2
  6. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    I can do Starscream! hehe
    But seriously for efficiency, we need to go the faux 2d from 3d that I think South Park revolutionized?
    More importantly, don't use phrases like "God Guts"...and that is all.

7. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure his concept is meant to be q hypothetical. I dont think hes actually trying to make a tv show....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Arvegtor

Arvegtor Aerialbot

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Over the course of the last few years I've had multiple ideas, some of which might work. But this time I'm talking about one very specific idea that I'm very fond of. It would be a series of interconnected personal stories: one day you're following Omega Supreme and end up with the destruction of Crystal city, another time you get Deadlock's redemption, or Ratchet trying to save as many lives as he can, or Starscream slowly turning from a loyal second in command into a traitor because he feels his talents are being wasted, or how Elita-1 falls in love with Optimus and then they get separated, how Ironhide fails to protect his best friend and so on. All characters have stories to tell about the war and how it changed their lives and themselves. And while each episode is its own story, they are interconnected and you slowly get the whole picture through the eyes of different Autobots and Decepticons, placing more and more pieces together with each story.

And very importantly the season starts with Optimus Prime's story, where he wakes up on modern-ish Earth, surrenders to some local military because he feels he has no right to harm Earth creatures, but then meets a local youth who shows Prime how his/her village was destroyed by said military and they bond over the fact of their stolen by war homes (the kid basically draws the story on sand using a stick, the Autobot projects some of his memories in style of shadows, so we kind of can see the characters, but can't recognize them, since the kid doesn't know them). Optimus sees that humans are not that different and swears to protect them, forcefully ending this local conflict, then leaves with his new friend to look for other Autobots (which is chronologically the last moment of the whole season, and instead we focus on the events that lead to all of that). The last episode is about Megatron - how he rose up to free his people but instead got himself corrupted by power, how he forces the Autobots to escape and attacks them, leading to Prime's separation from his troops, but thanks to Starscream everyone including him ends up on Earth and in stasis. And it all ends up with him also waking up (not long before Prime) and starting everything again.

The second season would focus on different factions also leaving Cybertron after Prime and Megatron, exploring their new homes, some would stay on Cybertron and fight for their place and survival, some characters who were with Optimus and Megatron would stay active on Earth as Pretenders and interact with ancient humans as gods, heroes and monsters from their folklore, or maybe participate in some historical events. Then the third season would focus on gathering all the forces, war on modern or close to it Earth, including characters like Hound and Mirage with their opposite approach to being here. And if possible future seasons would continue from there.

As for the format, it would be an online series, preferably traditionally animated and it would not have a single word in it, instead relying on visuals and especially music to tell its story (basically taking the best from Dinsey's Fantasia, American action cartoons and Soviet era animation mixed with complex worldbuilding and superior writing of the modern era), so it would be possible to view anywhere without need for translation. Its main goal would be reaching larger audience and making people care about all those characters and not just the same small group we see over and over everywhere lately (but they would obviously also be there).

• Like Like x 3
  9. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Hasbro doesn't care about how much material you have planned. They want a successful show, and most successful shows only last a few seasons before they wrap everything up. Notable exceptions are Star Wars: The Clone Wars and MLP:FiM, purely because they had huge audiences and generated a ton of revenue.

Take Transformers: Animated for example. Four seasons were planned, only three were produced because Hasbro wanted to make room for both Revenge of the Fallen and the Aligned Continuity, among other reasons. To date, nearly fifteen years later, they refuse to acknowledge the show even exists.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I like a lot of the ideas in this post, but I do think it would be difficult to make a Transformers series without dialogue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Duskscream

Duskscream Well-Known Member

I'd give it to Japan because I love that fun style and it's been a decade since Japan made a show.
    I'd like something like Galaxy force or a Galaxy force sequel.
    It's would not be for babies it would have a mature plot with emotional weight.

12. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    @Duskscream you ever see the Fuccons? That junk is awesome, hehe.

13. Magnus Leader

Magnus Leader Young Optimus Prime is the Best Optimus Prime.

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Really love that idea.

The Clone Wars wasn't even an exception.

With its high-quality production values, the show would have been losing money if it were produced by any studio that wasn't directly under George Lucas' control at the time.

George Lucas was personally pouring in money from his own personal bank account to give the show the best chance that it had at succeeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2021