How will the ILM feel when they waste their designs on the movies

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JD The Last Autobot, May 21, 2019.

1. JD The Last Autobot

JD The Last Autobot More Than Meet The Eyes

I have always wondered how ILM employees feel about the visual effects of the 6 Transformers movies, hours of work in making a design so that it appears a few seconds in the final cut, if more than all the Bayverse (we exclude the Knightverse that with Bumblebee although there were designs that only came out a few seconds as the Bots and Cons of the opening scene in Cybertron is justified due to time and budget) but with the 5 Bay movies is something totally different at least in TF1 the designs they had their moments but in the rest of the sequels some good designs only came out seconds, if later even the ILM got lazy recycling designs, combining them or just making some changes, and you who think? I know that ILM is paid and ready but who would like you to appreciate their work, and we do not deny the work that ILM did in these films we like the designs or not, it is incredible and extraordinary. A great achievement of ILM.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

Just another day at the office, probably.

• Like Like x 10
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    This sort of thing has crossed my mind too. It's weird to think that artists put months of work into detailed CGI models, only to have them appear for a few seconds. Not just in Transformers, but in a lot of other movies too. And not just with CGI models. There are practical sets and props that barely get seen. Someone had to design and make Burton's tombstone, and that scene never even made it into the final cut.

I would guess it's not a huge deal to them. It's a job, they got paid. It's not like they wasted that time and effort. If you think about it, similar stuff happens to everyone. Sometimes I spends weeks perfecting a project for college, only for it to end up buried in my hard drive after I turn it in for a grade. I probably won't ever revisit 95% of those projects. I won't reread most of the papers I've written, and the world will never see them. I dread to think how many hours I've spent working on stuff that was seen by one or two people, and will never be seen again.

I'm sure there are cases where the CGI artists are sad that a particular thing didn't get more focus. But most of the time I would guess they don't really care.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I imagine they still feel a great sense of professional pride and hopefully a good injection to the hip pocket.

• Like Like x 10
  5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    It happens in engineering too. I've worked on projects that never saw the light of day. Just part of the business and design process.

• Like Like x 7
  6. BeeOtch217

BeeOtch217 Ha Ha You're a Mini-Con!

News Credits:
    Consider all the different kinds of films they did and huge success of the first three film in the series, I don't think they mind all too much tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. I spent my whole internship doing research and test to improve a product. Only to hear after a year that they weren't gonna produce that product anymore... still got good grades though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Unkempt Introvert (I actually bathe everyday.)

It would bother me too. I don't know how long it takes to make a CGI model, but if my extremely detailed character model doesn't even appear in the film for more then 1 minute, that's a problem.
    Imagine how frustrating it might be to animate these truckers Transforming.

9. Magmatron95

Magmatron95 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Honestly I'd probably be pretty annoyed. All that hard work and detail for a couple seconds of screentime. Although that's just me

10. sevenlima

sevenlima Well-Known Member

They could ask help to the toy designers.

11. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yep, and I still got paid. It has to be thought of as a learning process. It's like how we see all the concept art but a lot of it doesn't get used. Some things just get taken out at later stages.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I'd say to them its job security and another pay check to pay the bills. I'd also say it's probably nothing to them since its just what they do all the time.

• Like Like x 1