How will the CoronaVirus affect the comic industry?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Omegashark18, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

How it's relevant, though? It only means that Marvel and DC aren't the entire industry. They aren't even the biggest part of it by now.

It might be nearing a death of a genre as it is now. At least in a comic book form. Death of a distribution model too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's weird how when all this started, it seemed like it would only have a minimal to moderate effect on the comic industry, but now everything has gone completely to shit. Thanks a lot, China! I guess SARS was just a trial run. Now this, and I can't wait to see how devastating the next virus they inflict on us will be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  7. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    The prevailing theory is that the pandemic originated at a wet market in China. We don’t know that for sure though, and even if we did it’d just be the luck of the draw. The Chinese people aren’t responsible for this pandemic any more than the Democratic Republic of Congo is for HIV, or ancient Mesopotamia for the Antonine Plague.

What we do know for sure is that Chinese scientists were the first to map the coronavirus’ genetic sequence, which they then supplied to every relevant research institute in the entire world free of charge through the World Health Organisation, thereby giving everyone a head start on developing a vaccine.

Shouting at China won’t bring our comics back. Just saying.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Uh, yes they are. That's the exact same way the first coronavirus SARS started. If China wants to be the next #1 superpower in the world -- and there's no reason to expect that won't be the case -- they need to stop behaving like a third world country. These unregulated open markets of potentially hazardous, pandemic-starting livestock need to stop or at least be regulated somehow. It isn't the 1700s anymore. The WHO, the CDC, and all the experts Trump fired have been predicting the next coronavirus would begin in exactly this way from another China wet market for the past 17 years, and here we are.

If two coronaviruses like this both started within the United States, do you think the rest of the world would hesitate one second to blame the US for it? Do you think the American people would hesitate one second to blame themselves? Why hold China to a lower standard? It has nothing to do with "yelling" at China. It has to do with asking and expecting them to act more responsibly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    I don’t know what you think “behaving like a third world country” means, but I would very much like you to elaborate in a non-racist way.

Well, I dunno. I’m not American and I’d hate to generalise about another country I’ve never lived in and know very little about. That would be horribly insensitive and borderline racist of me. And I certainly wouldn’t like to quote the history of the United States in failing to deal with homegrown epidemics it so thoughtfully gifted to its native population in its early history, or ignoring mass infections among former slaves on the basis of their deaths being down to racial inferiority. Nor would it be tactful of me to point out that time when US regulatory oversight totally failed to prevent Cutter Pharmaceuticals from distributing batches of improperly inactivated vaccines, resulting in 100,000 people being injected with a live polio virus and 250-odd people being paralysed. After all, perhaps this weighs heavily on the collective conscience of all Americans in a way I can’t perceive.

Instead I’ll just point out that almost a century ago there was another pandemic, the worst one in modern history in fact. You’ll never guess where the virus was first detected, which country’s government hushed up reports of widespread infection, or which country is considered by many epidemiologists to be the most probable source of the pandemic that killed Fifty. Million. People.

I’ll give you a hint: it’s not Spain.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Don't conflate race with culture. That's so disingenuous. And such a lazy way to shut down a conversation.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shouldn't that be in the main coronavirus thread? What does that have to do with comics?

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    No, there shouldn't be ignorant hate in the main Coronovirus thread, either.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Sorry, but that's not racist nor incorrect to state that someone's repeated negligence endangered everyone else around them.

It's a worldwide equivalent of living next to a notorious shotgun-waving drunkard.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    You're assuming negligence without proof. No one can say conclusively how or when Covid-19 transferred to people, so there is no specific action to be blamed. A tiger in Central Park caught the virus from a human. Does the zoo have some sort of unsanitary wet market in operation where tigers shop for people? Or is it more likely that the virus can just move between species due to proximity?

Even if there was a definitive act of negligence we could point to as ground zero for this, the place where it gets really uncomfortably close to racism is when people try and blame "China" for what are, undoubtedly, the actions of a few. The American south is full to the brim of people willing to eat whatever wild animal they can manage to get onto a plate, but no one is calling for an end to that behavior in the name of public health. (Curious, isn't it?) If someone in West Virginia eats a racoon and gets a disease, is that America's fault? Obviously not.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

The proof is that it happened and came from you-know-where. Again.

But don't let the reality get in the way of your progressiveness and good feels. ;]

But that's not what is killing the superhero books right now. This segment of the market was seriously suicidal and unhealthy since a long time. If not for the pandemic then another economical downturn would finish it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Funny how an honest and accurate assessment of the facts always leans left, huh?

• Like Like x 1
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Heads up: China isn't a race. There are Chinese people living all around the world. Millions and millions. But this doesn't start in Taiwan or within the Chinese populations of South Korea, United States, France. It's not Chinese PEOPLE. It's China.

If I say something is America's fault, like say Iraq being a failed state and the loss of life stemming from that, that doesn't mean I'm blaming people on an individual level, and you would never even assume I was. You wouldn't think that statement was somehow being "racist" against Americans. You'd understand what was meant. So please take your lazy double-standards and self-aggrandizing virtue signaling and (mutter mutter mutter)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    You make a great point. I edited that post to hopefully be more accurate.

19. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

China’s filthy lab is why everyone is trapped in their homes.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You edited it to now suggest I hate China, which is also not the case. Any more than I hate the United States for any of the billion things it does wrong. But as long as you feel heroic and morally superior, I guess that's all that matters.