How will the CoronaVirus affect the comic industry?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Omegashark18, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    People in the US need to stop thinking floppies and trades are the only two options. Periodicals are fine as long as they aren't thin but expensive single story floppies carried almost only in specialty shops. There is a super-successful business model in this world that still exists, and it's not the European album model. How long are US publishers going to keep pretending that Japan's model doesn't exist and can't be replicated?

3. Gaastra

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Gaastra

News Credits:
  5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Dc has also been sending out questionaires to comic book stores that hint they may be considering it too.

And oh god did you see this
    Valiant Comics Senior Editor Heather Antos Claims "America" Has The Worst Fans - Bounding Into Comics
    Yes and now you expect people to buy your books....
    And you basically insult them then beg them to buy X-O Mano war while wearing this?
    [​IMG]
    Valiant Comics's tweet - "Did you know that a unicorn onesie can double as X-O MANOWAR cosplay? Senior Editor @HeatherAntos shows us her incredible discovery! #xomanowar #valiantandquarantine " - Trendsmap

.......can we get Jim Shooter back as editor?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bounding Into Comics is a trash website.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I saw it on half a dozen videos on youtube, it was 5am and theirs was the first website I found talking about it, but they aren't the only ones.

8. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Then they are all equally trash. This is a non-story. Intellectual lightweights with a vendetta against her are making a big stink over some snark on Twitter. It's all mean-spirited not-news. (I pulled up a couple of videos talking about it, and they're also misquoting her snark. She didn't say Americans are the worst fans, she said America was the thing with the worst fans. It's a dig on a certain kind of person, not a dig on the nation.)

And what's the problem with her wearing something whimsical in an internet video? For crying out loud, stop looking for reasons to be offended.

Besides all that, this has nothing to do with the CoronaVirus/Comics topic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    It has to do with a company trying to get people to buy their product during the virus outbreak and how many fans aren't interested in based on how they were treated and things the people said recently or in the past. The recent quote wasn't the only thing she has said against fans there are other quotes from her. As for her outfit well it doesn't go with the product she's selling. And she doesn't come off as understanding the comic she's trying to promote.

This has been an ongoing thing with comics where they hire people to take over books they don't understand and when the audience complains, they are derided and made fun of or have shade casted on their reasons for not liking the book. Now that the industry are failing they come begging to the same people they drove away in the first place.

Donny Cates calling Ethan Van Sciver while he is streaming is another example. (That call was pretty funny as Ethan keeps telling him he can just hang up and he doesn't get it and keeps talking)

Just reading the responses to her tweets shows you where much of the audience regards her and the current state of Vailant.

So I thought it was relevant.

But I'm not going to fight over this, it isn't worth the effort. So if you don't agree that's fine.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    I don't want to fight, either, dude. But what Bounding Into Comics writes and what those YouTubers say is harassment, and it needs to be called out.

Also, come on man. You're kidding yourself if you think wardrobe in a internet video has anything to do with being able to judge whether she understands the book or not. It's just a silly video. Doubling down on that criticism is not a good look.

Yes, there's no doubt the Direct Market system is in upheaval, as a lot of things are right now. Diamond's monopoly was a bubble waiting to burst and the virus made it worse. But comics as an industry/medium is thriving right now. That's what the hard data looking at the whole industry shows. Anyone telling you otherwise is cherry picking data to lie to you. There's a certain segment that's rooting for the demise of comics because they've been cast out and they have an ax to grind. Don't listen to them, don't support them, and don't be one of them.

Which isn't to say you have to read any book you don't want to read or support any creator you don't want to support. Just don't let yourself be duped by people with a mean-spirited agenda making bad faith arguments.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I think the industry is in more trouble than you think, they have been driving people away for years now. I used to buy over $200 a month on comics. Last year I dropped my pull list and when I went back this year found my local comic store which used to have 3 locations and I've been going to since the 90's was sold and is down to one location and they are looking to sell that one. The store that sold is now 75% RPG and gaming and it's comic section is small in comparison to what it used to be. There have also been other store closures in my area. That isn't cherry picking, I can see the stores dying first hand. I live right outside of Atlanta and 15 minutes from the Mall of Georgia, these are major metro areas and the stores around here may not be around next year.

The comic companies stopped catering to their customers, kept writing storylines we didn't care about,told us we were stupid and mean spirited by giving negative opinions on those stories, so we got apathetic and stopped buying. Now this happens and the industry is in dire straights. And I barely care. I miss what it used to be, but there aren't any comics or storylines that make me want to go out and buy comics from most of the companies. Based on all the stores in my area closing down seems a lot of people have similar opinions.

12. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Apparently comic book stores doesn’t matter, since it didn’t speak for the comic industry.

13. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    Yes, it's a bad time for comic shops. But the industry is moving towards a book store/traditional publishing route and a younger demographic and the sales there are incredible. You're pointing to one element of downturn and not accounting for the upswing elsewhere that balances or exceeds it. That's literally cherry picking. You're cherry picking while in the same breath saying "that isn't cherry picking."

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I'm glad you believe that but it isn't as true as you think. The upswing is over hyped and they are still having trouble by pushing certain agendas. Comic stores are closing and the industry is in a bad state. IDW owes more money than it's worth and the only thing keeping DC and Marvel going are injections of cash from their parent companies, Who owe a crapload of money now. Disney borrowed a over billion Dollars twice this month just to keep paying loans they owe. Warner Brothers has similar issues after buying companies. They all owe money. They aren't making much money for the next few months. When this is over they will be streamlining their companies and some may file for bankruptsy.

Your over hyping the little sales they are having and they are overhyping in some areas and ignoring how much money they are losing constantly and how much they already owed to creditors. This is to trick people into to thinking they are doing better than they really are.

15. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    You're still cherry picking. At any time in any market there are going to be individuals with debts and companies that are struggling, but that's not necessarily the whole picture.

2018 was the best selling year for comics sales in history. Period. No hype. Just math. 2019 numbers aren't in, yet (this article is from last May, so they should be soon), but there's nothing to indicate that the market changed so drastically in 2019 that it's sales numbers won't be very similar.

16. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    No matter what, I think It's clear now that the Diamond Distribution system as it was just can't continue as it was. That needs to be left in the past.

17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I've made my point you clearly don't agree. I have better things to do than continue this conversation.

The thing to remember is manga sales are also counted as comic sales.
    Can Comic Books Survive the Coronavirus Era?
    As an independent comic writer, I won't cry as Covid-19 kills mainstream comics
    February 2020 Sales Drop As Marvel and DC Prepare For the Future
    Marvel, DC Slug It Out On The 2019 Comics Sales Charts

• Like Like x 1
  18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Why shouldn't be manga and young adult books counted as comic sales? They're, duh, comics.

Parts of the industry are struggling because they're badly adapted with their outdated model.

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I'm saying that those type of titles selling well don't count towards sales numbers at the regular comics companies. Manga selling well doesn't mean DC or Marvel are doing great over all. Even if over all Comics sales are up. How much of those sales is because of Manga and how much of that is due to reprints and Trades. New material from the companies over all haven't been selling as well as they claim.
    Even just a year ago Didio was talking about how reprints of old books were selling better than the regular ones.
    DC's Dan DiDio on the Double-Edged Success of Reprinting Old Comics
    If it's decided that reprints make more money and new stuff isn't selling then they just fire the main staff and do nothing but reprints and have another company license their characters and make new comics, it'd be much cheaper than doing it in house and that other company would be paying them to make comics of their characters,

20. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Of course floppies make more money today. Floppies are freaking $4 to $6 for one floppy! The older books were 75 cents! Same with a movie with a $10 ticket plus add $3 more for big d and add $3 more for 3-d is going to make more then a $2 movie ticket in the 70s.

And the best selling years are the 40s and 50s. Half of the adults in America read comics and they outsold books in sales! Of course you could get them everywhere then like newspaper stands and gas stations.

Ironic thing is hero comics in the 50s were the bottom sellers! Yes superman, batman and wonder woman still sold but they were less popular. 50s had horror, crime, romance, west, space, kids, and comedy books and uncle scrooge was huge with adults as much as kids! Then that crazy guy wrote that "comics are evil" book and people were dumb enough to believe him when he was clearly nuts leading to the comic code and leading to many adults dropping comics!

Comics in America never was as big again but took off in Europe and japan!