How will GM's probable bankruptcy affect TF3?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by realCliffjumper, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Shhhhhhhhh, Don't ruin the thread with truth or common sense... it is much more fun to rant on about how GM rooned Transformers forever and how everyone must have their personal car tastes represented ethnically int he movie or else the movie is some form of Car racisim that really bothers people even though no one but the OP probably cares in real life.

2. cnic

cnic Decepticon

LOL!!!!!!!!!:lolol 

3. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Lol!!!! :lolol 

Nice kelschy! Portray the other side as caricatures and thats a recipe for success. Boo yah! kelschy slam dunks another argument. Go kelschy, go kelschy, its your birfday, get bizzy! :p 

I like putting the racist argument in other people's mouths tho. That was classic kelschy arguing. Lol. No one is calling GM racist - just that they should have diversified more. But thats ok, you can go on with your truth and common sense thing. Lead us out of the desert and into yon land of milk and honey, messiah kelschy!

:p 

4. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

You should read the title of this thread more closely. Your first sentence has zero value as it is already stated in the title thread that the bankruptcy is probable. Not that its done and dusted. But thats ok, now is not time for that.

Tis time for damage control, Defenders of the Faith. For bankruptcy is merely a minor superfluous thing. Tis nothing at all.

5. nkelsch

No one cares what make of cars the TFs transform into but you. Your premise is false and stupid. No one is disollusioned or upset that thier personal car brand they own is not represented in the movie. IE: the race of the car.

You are being purposfully obtuse in your attempt to be constantly pushing your anti-GM agenda.

6. cnic

cnic Decepticon

Um.... that's exactly why I posted THIS:

GM has yet to confirm it will seek Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection but scheduled a news conference for Monday in New York.

Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code frees a company from the threat of creditors' lawsuits while it reorganizes its finances. Unless the court rules otherwise, the debtor remains in control of the business and its assets. The reorganization plan must be accepted by a majority of the company's creditors.

If all goes the way it is headed, they will not fold, merely scale back and restructure.

NOTHING in that states that I said it was final.That's a snippet of an article on MSN I read earlier.

7. nkelsch

Which has ZERO impact on TF3 or HASBRO. No one cares what cars they use and GM will not be scrubbed from the face of the planet in 2011 when TF3 comes so there really is no issue for existing characters based on GM frames.

No one cares, the premise of this whole thread is fake propaganda. GM will not ROON transformers forever.

8. cnic

cnic Decepticon

I'm glad someone understood what I was saying.

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Ah, singling out. Another well proven tactic. "You're the only one in the whole world who believes in that idea" Meant to make the target form doubt and prevent others from believing in same idea. Classic.

Unfortunately, people do care if you would read some of these threads. People aren't putting down GM, but they are saying how it would be nice if they could see X or Y car in the movie.

My agenda isn't anti-GM, its pro diversity. Which you are construing to be anti-GM. Because I am asking for a movie that isn't completely full of GM vehicles doesn't make me anti-GM.

10. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

What? Dude, let me break down what happened as simply as I can so you can understand.

1) OP made thread with word "probable" clearly stated
    2) You create post saying that bankruptcy is not sure. Which again only reiterates what is already known.

So why make that statement about Monday? This entire thread was based on the premise of a PROBABLE bankruptcy. If people were going on about how GM is already in bankruptcy, then I could see your appearance and sage cautioning that bankruptcy hasn't yet happened as adding something to this conversation. But no one was even close to implying that GM was already in bankruptcy.

Then you go on to make little of the bankruptcy process. As if bankruptcy is not a big deal and does not mean certain things about the company. As if its simple restructuring. A company goes into bankruptcy because its business failed. Will it always fail? No. But at least admit the mistake so you can learn from it.

11. nkelsch

No, your lengthy and well-documented posting history makes you ANTI-GM.

And no one cares about diversity and it doesn't impact toysales or box office sales. No parent is 'offended' and not buying their kid a toy because Bumblebee is a GM corvette. No one is walking out of the movie in disgust that there were no toyotas.

It is a false premise. Just because fans who like transformers think it would be neat to see a transformer based ont their favorite car doesn't mean any impact on TF3 resulting from GM's issues. We are all adults and know licenced alt-mode transformers requires CAR manufacturer buy-in for them to exist.

GM "bought in" for the movie franchise.
    Jeep, GM, Dodge, Scion, a whole bunch "bought in" for the alternators line.
    Nissan "bought in" for the "alternity" line.

No one cares, You want Hasbro to actively seek diversity when there is no real reason to spend the extra time and money as it brings ZERO return to the franchise or the bottom line. If the movie was 100% honda I doubt you would be demanding American cars to be featured.

12. cnic

cnic Decepticon

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

13. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Maybe not, but I could see another person's desire for a GM car in the movie and would agree with that as it only makes sense.

We shall see with GM. Because not only is it bad just from a fairness perspective (which doesn't make money in the US) but its also bad due to all your eggs being put in one basket. We'll see if the public is as superfluous to the idea of bankrupt GM cars in a TF movie. Or even taken to the extreme of tax payer bailouts given to a company that wasted its money on a kids movie.

I might be wrong. But your wording that "no one cares" is inaccurate. People do care. It might not be reflected in the almighty dollar that you worship, but it does have an effect.

14. nkelsch

If the effect doesn't impact ticket sales or toy sales then what is the actual 'effect'?

Hasbro is a business and the dollar is all that matters. Transformers is not 'Art', it is a 'business'. When you make your own popular franchise, you can have full artistic control over them and do whatever bad business decisions you wish.

15. cnic

cnic Decepticon

1:I have seen a shitload of NEW Camaros on the road.Several of the people that bought them have told me they saw it in a movie(wonder which one)
    2:They don't "waste" that much money on these movies.Hell all the alt modes in ROTF were already stated to be done in CGI.That means GM authorized Bay to use its cars likenesses, not give them a shitload of "Real" cars to blow up and what not.The studio pays for the advertising. I'm pretty sure GM got money from Paramount for letting them use their vehicles.

16. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Lol. You should work for GM. GM had the same ideas as you. They only cared about the almighty dollar and didn't pay any attention to other things like public perception of its vehicles. It was a very slow process but added up over years, it eventually was the reason why GM failed.

But like I said, lets see if a GM bankruptcy affects the movie at all.

17. nkelsch

Marketing is part of business that adds up to the all mighty dollar. I don't see how you think they can be separate. You can't be chasing the bottom line successfully and having a horrible public perception sneak up on you. That isn't business, and if you think it is then you need to go take a class.

18. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Boy howdy, I sure do *love when people take my half-joking comments seriously, blow them out of proportion on an insane level, and then put words in my mouth. I don't pretend imports don't exist- I'm perfectly fine with imports, in fact I'm a fan of some European and Japanese cars. You know jack slag about me, how I think, or my prefferences in anything in general. Maybe my prefference for domestic cars is an aesthetic issue. Maybe I have two cars- one an import I drive everyday and an old domestic muscle car I drive on weekends. You don't know, so stop putting words in my mouth and making assumptions about me. Perhaps you're the one being unfair, hm?

Oh and by the way- your Pontiac remark was totally uncalled for. Stop rubbing salt in the wounds of this Pontiac fan :lol 

*I actually really hate when people do this. Stop doing it, you blowhard

19. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    bankruptcy =/= dead company, let's just get that clear. otherwise donald trump would be in the welfare line every other day, along with hundreds of other business moguls. chapter 11 bankruptcy is essentially a get out of jail free card for when a business finds itself backed into a financial corner.

20. Scooby.Smokescreen

Scooby.Smokescreen Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if GM US cars didn't carry on in some form or other. Living in the UK, we saw the collapse of one of our oldest car manufacturers Rover - albeit it had been passed round like a hot potato through other manufacturers and BMW cut Rover out like a tumour. The UK government didn't want to know so Rover overnight stopped production. Fair enough you might say but now you have several thousand people out of work, lose their homes because they can't afford them and end up on welfare - some for the rest of thier lives (the UK already did it once to the miners in the 80s). Its a very shortsighted government that allows a major employer to fail because eventually we all end up paying with a higher welfare bill.

I can't see the US government allowing GM to do the same. Someone will buy it for peanuts probably with a little sweetner on the top from the US government to sustain the jobs and the company (a far sensible idea than allowing a wholesale collapse as outlined above). But GM isn't just US cars. They own Vauxhall, Opel, Holden (the same cars - ish, different badges) and are desperately trying to flog them. SAAB I think they sold already, the finger they had Subaru they sold a while ago. They also make locomotives with the UK being a big importer of the GM built class 66.

So I there are options open to GM and a large scaledown of the company will probably see it survive. Will it affect TF3 and so on, no not really. I personally was rather miffed at all the GM cars in TF1 - I felt the start driving through the Porsche garage and then Jazz being a Solstice was a huge slap in the face. Bumblebee I could understand. With one of the TFs being an Audi R8, if GM does go down the plughole I guess we could get a whole fleet of cars from the Volkswagon Audi Group. Jazz could then be a Porsche (if he comes back) and we get a whole host of decent cars (Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche - the twins could be Golfs although I think you guys get Rabbits/Jettas?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.