How will DOTM be recieved (Box Office/Reviews) ... any predictions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bumblethumper, Jun 16, 2011.

1. evebird

evebird Waiting for Omega

I predict that DOTM is easily going to track higher than ROTF. I think it will about match Bay's original TF movie on the Tomatometer. So officially I will go with 55%. I think DOTM is going to be far superior in quality to ROTF. But I think there are going to be a lot of reviewers that judge movie 3 on Bay himself and the trilogy as a whole. They'll consider this flick "more of the same." So I have a hard time believing it can score higher than 55%, even if it's a really high quality film.

2. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    It will be a box office smash. I'm predicting highest-grossing Wednesday opening of 2011, possibly top 10 highest-grossing movies of the year as well. It might plausibly beat RotF's gross.

With critics, I'm expecting around the same reaction to the first film, maybe slightly higher. Complaints will include a boring second act, Rosie's acting (even though she's already proven she's leagues above Megan), Shia's acting, and it being "too loud".

The Bayters (Bay-haters) will criticize it for
    wtf man sentinal is a autobut! he shudnt' be a villin
    and Megatron once again being a pussy*.

The general public will, once again, absolutely adore it.

*People who complain about this must have some odd definition for the word "pussy".

3. SkyfiRe71

SkyfiRe71 Precursor

Not at all. I'm in college. TFW, as fun as this is, is not even close to the center of the outside ring of my life. That said everyone I know is talking about this movie. Thousands of people are going just because it's a massive event, regardless of plot or point. For each thousand of those, a thousand of their friends know and are pumped for the same reason. Throw in the fandom, children, critics, and hype, and I think it will do it. Look what ROTF did w/ a shit plot, horrible reviews and no 3D...

EDIT: Joseph1Sikko I like your thinking, meanwhile I hate multiquote's :redface2: 

4. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This time around it's different than it was with Avatar. Avatar, first of it's kind of 3D had a very slow start...but over the course of it's run it became highest grossing - EVER. Because word of mouth and curiousity attracted thousands. TF3 is going to be the real test...whether 3D could stick or not. I feel like it's going to attract a lot of audiences...but to the opposite effect. Big start, then slow finish? That's my guess. I like to believe that it can easily make top 10 world wide gross, and with high hopes possibly top 5.

I'm not too concerned about the reviews, but I have a feeling it's going to have better over all reviews than TF1 did.

5. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

Yeah. I lost count how many kids I saw in The Hangover and The Hangover 2, and even in both Jackass movies I saw.

6. XGL Walker

XGL Walker Well-Known Member

Dude i know, there was like five 10 year olds below me in Hangover 2, laughing at every little thing that happened.

7. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

Think about it, when you were little, you knew a heck of a lot more than you let on! Some parents actually have a freaking clue, and know that it's better to just go ahead and expose them to the adult world, and talk about when they are young, instead of waiting for them to turn 13. By the time kids are about 7 or 8, they know all of the cuss words, have pretty much become immune to the violence on TV, and thanks to all them Disney cartoons, know that boys and girls like to kiss and cuddle.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    well hey, your estimates seemed wildly optimistic to me, but you might be more plugged in than I am. There's been massive hype, and while I'm always sceptical of hype, there are times when it is justified.

Kudos if your guess is on the money.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The last of something in a long running series tends to generate a huge amount of hype. MASH became the highest rated TV show shown in the US when it's last episode was billed as a big event.

It's just something about the last of something that brings back the fans who might have strayed off, taps into people's curiosity of how something will end, and people just wanting to know what the big fuss is about.

On the bright side Dark of the Moon does not have to face off against Potter until July 15th so that gives Dark of the Moon an excellent chance to generate some positive word of mouth. With a load of positive buzz as a must see film that means less of a drop off in the second weekend.

10. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
  11. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

67% now

6 fresh, 3 rotten

12. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    7.5 / 10 on IMDb. 1584 votes. Not doing bad at all. It was 7.3 when I checked earlier, so it's gone up slightly there as well.

I wasn't expecting the ratings to go up. Maybe it's a trend.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - IMDb

13. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read a few of those "reviews" and laughed at the two that gave it a low score because Megan Fox wasn't in it ("no heart without Megan Fox"....really?) I think I'd categorize them as "Megan Fox fans" rather than Transformer fans.

14. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

I know, usually ratings go down since the first set of votes

15. WarDrums

WarDrums Well-Known Member

Most of the people who voted before were trolls like Chojin who hadn't even seen the movie -Bayhaters and Megan Fox no-lifers.