How well did TFs sell in 2005?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dragstrip85, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Dragstrip85

Dragstrip85 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think? Aside from the few TF shelfwarmers, how well did 2005 handle Transformers? Was it the best year to be a Transformers fan since 1984-86 or whatever year you choose it to be?

I think the year 2005 went to TF Cybertron Optimus Prime. I mean, he was in great demand this past holiday season at practically every store where TFs are available. Almost all stores that sell TFs I know of sold out. I remember watching parents/grown ups scouring over the shelves looking for that OP to buy for their child or loved ones. I mean, I for one didn't pick one up (I know... :stick:  @ me), but I guess I am just waiting.

For me it was a great year to get back to TFs since the Beast era (THANK the Alternators). I basically ignored or grew out of it for the past 4-5 years until I started making visits to TRU more frequently and joining this board for Alts.

What's your say?

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I don't think anything will top 84-86 simply because the industry today is VERY different than back then.

That said, I think TF did better this year than last year. In general, 2004 got bogged down with shelfwarming Energon, Universe (and ITS shelfwarmers), Alts and in general, I felt the line lacked direction.
    In 2005, aside from Alts, the whole line feels more unified and in general, I think Cybertron has done far better than Energon, and maybe as good as Armada (granted far more Cybertron has been available than there was Armada)

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm more interested in what specific toys sold the most. I wish Hasbro gave stats on that.

4. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the most productive year i've ever seen TF sales in. Cybertron was released early here because stores were DEMANDING new TF stuff for shelves, as Energon stocks were completely sold out.

Since then, i've seen more cases of figures than i have for either Armada or Energon, and they've all sold, Optimus Prime again was a hot seller, and made the 'top 10 boys toys' list.

Crumplezone still lacked sales a bit, but still sold well.

This is the best state TF's have been in my country that i've known.

5. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I think overall they did quite well judging by the empty shelves this past holiday season.

6. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Around here, the only TF I see warming the shelves is Crumplezone.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Im wondering if the emergence of the Cyb two packs (basic and deluxe) is the first sign that Cyb (overall) is not selling well for stores?

8. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think Hasbro is being proactive in how they deal with items that are produced in higher quanities than demand dicated instead of letting them warm shelves with these 2-packs.

Transformers is doing very well overall, just look at the Hasbro quarterly earnings reports, Transformers has been mentioned as a top earner for them.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well seeing fairly barren TF shelves after the holidays seems like a good sales amount so far...

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Tell me about it. I was surprise to go to Toyrus a few days ago only to see the shelves bare. I was able to pickup a double pack deluxe and basic class.

11. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    I've no idea of official figures but looking around the shops in Perth Australia immediately after the Christmas rush, there weren't many TF's left. They've been flying off the shelves!

Supreme Starscream seems to be the only shelfwarmer, but that's probably due to the over-supply issue that dogged the Unicron toy. It'll probably be the same for Primus too.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I have stock in Hasbro and, if it's within my legal right as a shareholder to post stuff like this, I'll give you some basic figures on Transformers when I receive my Hasbro yearly report this January.

EDIT: I reread what I posted and I realize it sounds like bullshit, but I am not lying - I only have stock in like 3 or 4 companies and I figured Hasbro wouldn't be bad to own since I buy so much of their product myself. I'm not sure if "shareholder" is the right term or not - maybe just stock holder? - but I do receive a yearly report from them, usually around January.