How Transformers Became A Best Case Scenario For Hollywood Adaptation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, May 2, 2017.

1. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

You can always go back and watch your old G1 DVDs, and when that gets old, you can branch out and expand your interests. Besides, Robots in Disguise won't last forever, and who knows what the next Transformers cartoon will be like?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Hyperbolize much?

Masterpiece, IDW, Combiner Wars, Titans Return and even 3rd Party are leaving a message on your answering machine to say hello.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Again, movie fans aren't threatened by 30 something year old man-children. After being told that "the films are shitty, and that movies fans are not true fans and have bad taste in films and that they're the lowest common denominator" for 10 years straight, it gets pretty annoying after awhile. G1 is dead? So what are IDW comics, Combiner Wars, Titans Return, Transformers Devastation and 3rd Party figures exactly? Heck, the plot of Dark of the Moon was essentially "The Ultimate Doom" in movie form. Nobody has murdered G1. However, the geewunners aren't helping the franchise either. While the films bring in new fans, the geewunners practically drive them away because all they do is insult them. And the only victors are Transformers fans as a whole. We've gotten new TV shows, comics, video games, films and numerous toys in the last decade alone.

• Like Like x 2
  4. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Banned

People keep saying that IDW as if it's some kind of example of G1 still existing. It's not.

IDW is as far away from G1 as Animated or the movies. The stories, characters, designs have almost nothing in common with G1 and 90% of G1 fans LOATHE IDW as if it murdered their dog and used it's corpse to set their house on fire. They are their own little universe with their own set of fans that don't really interact with the rest of the fandom at all.

The toys are just a few bones Hasbro throws at the fans. if they truly cared about G1 they would've made a new G1 inspired cartoon or a direct to DVD movie or anything. But they do not. Hell hasbro doesn't even import most of the MPs. The 3rd party is a reaction to how little Hasbro care about G1 that the fandom had to start a whole new industry to just get something that they want.

Hasbro only care about profit and movies = $$$$$$$$$$ so they will soon be killing everything non-movie related and everything from now on will only be movie styled.

I don't give a fuck I enjoy the movies for what they are but the whole "G1 totally isn't dead" isn't true. It's a zombie sure but zombies are still dead.

5. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

You will come for the movies. You will stay for the old content. Objective achieved. Your fate has been sealed. Resistance if futile. Now Kneel before Galvatron. The G1 Galvatron, with Welkers voice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    Alright, well. Another one bites the dust.

7. pilot00

Remind me again how many years has it been since the first MP and how many the movies got?

8. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

I think we can all agree, at the least, that the movies are a necessary evil. Sure they will never be considered sci-fi classics, not now or 50 years in the future, but they DID renew interest in Transformers for the public and breathed new life into the series. Without the movies, we wouldn\'t have Animated or Prime or the better parts of the IDW comic. Let\'s all at least be grateful for that, whether you love it or hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    This I can agree with. Kudos.

10. pilot00

I wouldnt call 'evil' a taste preference for sure.

11. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    It's a "necessary evil." Usually means there are negative parts of said item or subject; however, the positive parts are more of a detriment.

12. pilot00

I catch your drift.

13. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

Holy sh*t!!! :eek: 

That was arguably the most accurate, by certain standards, look at the Transformers franchise as enhanced, from certain points of views, by Michael Bay! :D  Many people could say that the Bay movies have surpassed ALL TF MEDIA combined, when looking at it from specific constraints, and that adults were possibly targeted over children in a, some would say, kid-focused property! I venture forth that Bay's TF movie revolutionized the entire movie industry, from certain polls, and that Hollywood as a whole owes him a great debt of gratitude, if you look at it from a global point of view (not domestically).

:thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Only problem is Animated and Prime ended so the alternatives have gotten to the slim pickings category. Instead of always having to look back to say hey Beast Wars was great it would be nice to have something to look forward to that wasn't just hey the Hasbro sculptors really did a great job.

It would be nice if we could get a situation where the films and cartoons were attempting to make everyone happy instead of just we will make this demographic happy but ignore this other demographic. It's not like Transformers hasn't threaded the needle before even if you can't make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time.

15. pilot00

You...you....I saw what you did there. I admit you had me worried for a minute :D 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Which is a shame, because I really think they could have been sci-fi action classics, in another luckier universe. Oh well, paths not traveled I guess.

17. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    Should have been... :( 

18. STARBLAST

STARBLAST Banned

Best case scenario is them being like the '83 Hercules movie or they end up on MST3K type show and live on in infamy like Manos.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

I don't think people actually have taken a look at just what the movies have done, both from a narrative standpoint and character regarding certain ones at least. I'll try not to make this to sound like an insult to other franchises since that's not my intentions. TF does a lot of things that even iconic franchises haven't done for one thing it's not afraid to break the status quo. I love Alien and Terminator but Alien has been doing the government trying to weaponize the Xenomorphs plot for 40 years, in literally 40 years we never touched on the Alien mythology and instead kept repeating the same idea again and again. Terminator has been going in circles as well. There's a very intriguing narrative here but we never reach it because terminator always slides back to the terminator trying to kill the Connors and the chase to protect them.

These are iconic franchises that have gone nowhere. Even SW has become stuck in the status quo. The TF movies actually move forward the status quo shake up from ROTF and DOTM to AOE is huge almost no franchise has shattered the status quo like that. The narrative and story between the two races actually moves forward events changing and effecting things, building to the war between the two races. Could you imagine if after Dark nothing changed nest kept doing what they did and the cons just returned with another plan no worse for wear, if Chicago meant nothing? That's pretty much every iconic franchise nothing changes the world doesn't change we never delve into actual ideas or explore the mythology.

Optimus in these four movies has been through more of a journey than some of the most iconic characters of cinema history. The narrative has come further than SW ever did. TF has exceeded many of the most iconic franchises in too many ways to count, it shouldn't live in infamy it should be recognized for taking it's narrative and mythology further in ten years than the most iconic franchises did in thirty.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  20. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Huh. I can't say you're wrong, at all. Perhaps it's not a direction everyone likes, but you're right that the movies have gone in a direction we never expected.

Perhaps that's the problem. Perhaps we're so used to formulas that when a big name takes a chance and does it's own thing, it doesn't sit well with us.

Maybe the stupid humor and over the top ridiculousness has a place, after all.

Food for thought.

• Like Like x 2