How Transformers Became A Best Case Scenario For Hollywood Adaptation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, May 2, 2017.

1. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Financially, yes, the movies are a best case scenario.

Artistically, no, the movies are a laughing stock.

Argh, the movies make me torn. On one hand there\'s a lot of shit in them I like and on the other hand there\'s a lot of shit I hate. They\'re shallow and appeal to the lowest common denominator of the public masses, but there are some genuinely great visuals and music in each movie. They are the epitome of a guilty pleasure.

• Like Like x 5
  2. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So if critics or rotten tomatoes give movie high score I should like it I'm no sheep I think for myself critics like the movie REVENANT I knew first time I saw REVENANT trailer it will be boring I never wanted to see REVENANT movie but I gave movie chance because my father wanted to see it not by critics rating or that it won awards I give movies chance by family standards not by strangers that are movie critics that do not know me as person,.

While watching REVENANT movie I was right it was boring but I did not expect it to be long and boring I much prefer watch movies transformers, ( mad max fury road - which people don't realize add giant alien robots to mad max you get transformers movie, batman vs superman, la la land than boring and long movies that will put me sleep while watching I never ever sleep while watching movies but that movie almost did.

Critics mean crap to me I like what I like transformers animated was no master piece as well same as cartoons and comics hound need air mask jump under water rescuer spike he's giant alien robot who breaks out in space and in comics scorponock head master is same size as grimlock scale problem I will continue judge movies by my own opinion if people want little kids going to critics review if they should and should not see movie so be it I'm no sheep I think for myself.

I Like transformers movie series any one want ban me for it go ahead but cartoons and comics where no different they Are Similar half time more humans, good bots vs bad bots, action on action bad dumb comedy humans always helping autobots and be annoying and being saved by autobots no that much different to cartoon and comics now or back then in 1980's

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure Combiner Wars did, so you're free to hate that one :p 

4. Sixshot93

Sixshot93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've not seen CW so no comment from me.

5. GAUGE

GAUGE Professional Digital Artist

News Credits:
    The movies are Transformers in NAME only.

No character developement. they are autobots and decepticons in NAME only.

There's nothing about those movies that says Transformers.

sure the individual bots have names, but the names got nothing to do with who they are. nobody cares about them, because there's no depth to them. no depth to the humans.

all could die. nobody would flinch. childhoods would remain intact. the earth wouldn't stop.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And people say the movies aren't like G1.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    We're *this* close to seeing the good old "movie fans aren't true fans" line in this tread, I can sense it.

• Like Like x 5
  8. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

I don't know how I feel about the authors note on Beast Wars. I grew up with Beast Wars and it sucks that Hasbro has given up on it. Such a shame.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wu Jen

Wu Jen Some old nobody

What are you guys bitching about the 1st Transformers movie defined the rest........

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    Can't say that the new ones don't keep up the good work :lol 

rotten_tomatoes.PNG tf2007_rotten_tomatoes.PNG

• Like Like x 10
  11. Hooper_X

Hooper_X pro wrestling, anti fascism

They're not wrong.

I'm in my late thirties. I've been on board since 1984. But the college-aged kids I work with? In their late teens or early twenties? The movies are Transformers to them, with the exception of the occasional die-hard fan who follows Prime or the IDW comics. They may have seen a couple episodes of G1 or have dim memories of Animated from their childhood (and remember, Animated is almost ten years old), but they grew up on the movies like some of us grew up on G1 or Beast Wars.

As our cohort gets older (and the oldest members of the G1 audience are pushing fifty), we are going to be supplanted by the next generation of fans, for whom G1 is "retro" or "old school" and whose primary exposure to Transformers is going to be the movies. That's just the nature of getting old.

Eventually, we'll be like the 12" Joe fans, the weird grandpas of the fandom who sort of dimly recognize the current product as related, but not what we had growing up. (Arguably, we're already getting there, with all the 3P companies competing to see who can make the most 1984-tastic collector pieces to cater to us and our increased spending power, just like the 12" Joe fans don't get much from Hasbro, but Asian companies are still cranking out stuff for them.)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the article is a little off the mark in saying that these franchises made successful movies by adapting material that wasn't originally from a movie.

While I see the point, I have an issue with it:

Both Transformers and Pirates are based on source material that is already heavily influenced by cinema. So many of the 80s toylines developed premises that tried to adapt Star Wars. So really, it feels like the TF movies are movies based on toys that were borrowing from cinema. It's a bit like a circle.

And so many of the sequences on the old Pirates ride were borrowing from a whole genre of pirate films that we've sort of forgotten existed in the wake--so to speak--of Johnny Depp's Captain Sparrow. So, while Pirates of the Caribbean might not have been a movie as such, it's not really without precedent on the big screen.

• Like Like x 3
  13. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    I just tried it on my newish desktop (this is the first time I've used it for anything Transformers related) and I got the exact same results.

• Like Like x 1
  14. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

I mean, I'll just put it like this ... when Optimus Prime says "one shall stand, one shall fall" I and countless others still get goosebumps to this day ... for the life of me I just can't fathom this same sort of visceral reaction from Bay movie fans, I simply can't ... I understand different strokes for different folks, YMMV, etc etc but cmon now ... there has to be some common ground of understanding ...

• Like Like x 1
  15. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    Hahahahahahaha! I can't even begin to tell you how much sense that doesn't make.

• Like Like x 2
  16. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    If this doesn't draw some kind of reaction out of you, then I don't know what will.

17. MINDVVIPE

MINDVVIPE "The powers of darkness..."

If this scene mattered to you, I'm glad you got something good out of the movies.
    Personally that scene meant little to nothing ti me other than making me question how stupid the autobots are to comply. Then they really didn't, which actually makes sense to make it a facade.

18. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

To be fair, anything with Shia Laboob or Mark "I love committing hate crimes on Asians even tho they are the biggest segment of the TF fandom" Wahlberg, I can't take serious in a movie ... and anything TF that is not animated just seems ridiculous to me on it's face ...

19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

1. Agreed, the movies have not improved from the first one. I am optimistic that they will improve because of the time/money Hasbro-Paramount have put into their writer's room project.

2. Anyone could have made the movies in a better or worse fashion. But what's the point of playing endless "what-if" scenarios about that? TF1 was magic. It gave the movie franchise a tremendous jumpstart. And the credit for that goes to Bay and the team of folks on that movie. Wasn't Spielberg and executive producer or somesuch role in that movie too? Regardless, TF1, despite its good/bad things, was an incredible start.

What do you mean Transformers were a secondary to the movies? Because if you remove Transformers from the equation of any of the movies, especially the first one, then it turns into a very generic and boring action movie (that no one would have watched). The gimmick of the movies was to see live-action transforming robots, robots that transformed into modern, conventional vehicles. So, I'm confused by that statement.

So you don't like the movies. Fair enough. You think something better could replace them. Fair enough. From my point of view, I know that I won't like every single piece of TF fiction that gets put in front of me. I'm not even a casual fan of the movies but I'm not hung up on their quality or popularity. Let movie fans have their movies. Let's acknowledge the tremendous energy and new fans they've brought into the community. To each his own.

20. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    This thread has certainly helped to increase my block list.

• Like Like x 5