How to waste your money on Japanese imports!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Feb 22, 2006.

1. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Bad choice of words, Nevermore. :peoples: 

2. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker TFW2005 Supporter

My thought for getting GF of CYB for some

1) no small starscream
    2) Better Vector Prime
    3) chrome on Sonic Bomber
    4) Painted force chips(especially on Galaxy Convoy)
    5) Could not wait for US release
    6) Nitro Convoy looks horrible in Cybertron
    7) Megalo Convoy the small prime helped sway me and a $58 shipped for him.
    8) less hunting using less gas in the process

My GF stuff includes

Starscream
    Vector Prime
    Sonic Bomber
    All 5 convoys.

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thread topic's a bit of an overly loaded gun for the content, but eh.

It's hilarious that in one area, people have available to them two identical toys, where a japanese sticker on the package kicks up the price. :D 

That said, I don't really hear about many people that'd buy a SWTF with a sticker, because it's Japanese. In fact, I don't really hear about many people that'd buy a SWTF. We're a minority (though the secret perks we get are great, right brothers and sisters? Anyone use their platinum lear jet yet?).

SWTF-buying Takaraphiles that live in Germany and pay extra at an online store in Belgium for a sticker, however, are silly. I challenge one to call me on this.

As for importing other stuff, there are several reasons that I take a valid. Some people like the other continent's paintjob more. UKers can get Takara stuff CHEAPER than Hasbro stuff, as their Hasbro branches are decidedly crappy.

In the end though, I buy -my- toys from Hasbro Canada. You know. Where REAL MEN buy their toys. All you Hasbro US and Takara children...you -wish- you could buy Canadian.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    You mean he who dies with the most toys DOESN'T WIN?!?

DOH!!! I've been suckered in!!!:p 

5. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Personally all my TFs are Hasbro except for Vector Prime, since IMHO the Takara version appealed to me a lot more.

I also plan to get the small Starscream from Takara, other than that I'm fairly happy with Hasbro's stuff.

I think the paint apps for Cybertron are great

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haho. This thread makes me laugh. Here's the reasons why I import.

Over here in the UK, its actually better to buy stuff in from Japan, because prices here are so extortionate (£50 for Cyb Supreme Starscream, thats $87 US) once you add shipping, and perhaps customs, it STILL works out cheaper than buying from your local toyshop. Seriously. The thing is, it never used to be this way, import used to be more expensive, but not anymore.

I noticed that Japanese toys do tend to be better than the US/UK releases. I actually went out and imported a fair bit of CR 2000, and keep it all MIB. I then went out and bought RID, and from direct comparison, the CR stuff was better. This kept true for Armada/Micron Legend, so I imported a lot of ML. Energon turned out to be better than Superlink, so I tended to buy Energon. With Cybertron, Galaxy Force does seem to be better, but guess what? I'm buying Cybertron...

Why? Because I'm trying to cut back on the amount of money I spend on Transformers, and the nasty taste I get spending more money on inferior product has really helped me cut back. I have like, 3 Cybertron toys so far... and my urge to buy more is diminishing every trip to the toyshop. So, if you wanna wean yourself off Transformer dependency, turn to Hasbro UK. ;) 

7. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Never gargle the rum. TFW2005 Supporter

Being in the UK gives an odd situation with TFs, I buy alts because they're cheaper and I prefer the robustness of the plastic, but only 2 of my alts have come from UK stores. This is mainly because most of the alts I wanted have never been released here and won't be, so I imported from HK or the US for around a £2-£5 over the UK price.
    All my current buys have been GF over cybertron, due to being available first and being at what UK prices would be even after shipping costs, and I also like the GF packaging style, nice and colourful.

I think US fans importing when pretty much equal product is available is a little odd to me, but each to his own tastes, and some figures like mudflap and vector prime ARE better from Takara, but from what I've seen with the rest of the line they are pretty much the same as one another (could be wrong though, it'sn not something that i fuss over)

Some things I've imported are now ridiculously cheap in the UK, but thats nearly 2 YEARS after I bought them from the US.

Case in point: 20th Prime, I bought my MP convoy about 3-4 months after he was out, because i prefer the way MP convoy looks. IF 20th prime had been around locally at the time I'd have had second thoughts about it, but that was around 2 YEARS ago now. 20th Prime will be warming shelves here for a while, and I doubt the UK will get more of the collector orientated figures again because of the ridiculous lag between euro and US releases.

Personal preference wins over in every case though, and if it makes people happy let them carry on I say.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I buy both. :D  but I won't duplicate the Transformer for the packaging. I have purchased some Cybertron that wasn't unique, but it was bought because of better show accuracy, or some additon like a Tiny Tin. Also, of course I've gotten the Hasbro stuff that wasn't made by Takara.

9. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Gosh I love Kmart :thumb 

10. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:

It goes the same on both sides of the pond. There is a market for US released toys here in Japan. If only I had thought ahead and brought 2 Cybertron Starscreams with me last week to Tokyo. They sell for ~90 bucks here in Japan. USA edition was extremely limited. Demand for pure US version is high.

11. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    About that saying, let me ask you a question. If there were a prize handed out to he who dies with the most toys, how would you collect the prize?

Think about that for a bit. :peoples: 

12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    There would be a grand prize in the afterlife where you'd be fed honeyed cakes by hundreds of beautiful virgin women... :thumbs2: 

13. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And you know about this prize How?

Also what do you get when you arrive and find out you were two toys short of winning? I mean, it's not like you could go back and get three more to win now.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, but while that happens your next of kin on Earth will be selling off all your valuable imports and MISB 1980's toys for five bucks each. :) 

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Dude, you know I'm joking right??? :huh

And if I did get there and found out I'm two toys short, then I'd gladly lose to the person who beat me... Or tell the hundreds of people that he died from some nasty VD and they'd all run away from him...:p 
    Hell no!!! I'm getting buried with my collection... :lol 

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Damn right! I've already begun preliminary construction on my pyramid, in which I will be encased in 'carbonite' in the middle of the biggest God damn multiple-toyline diorama you have ever seen...er, even though you won't be able to see it.

17. Hiro Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course I know. :) rolleyes: kids these days) And for the record, so was I. :) 

As for being buried with your toys... How would you know if you were dead. :p  (gawd I love my morbid sense of humor.)

18. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Not unless the pyramid is see through bulletproof fiberglass!!! :D 
    Okay, just making sure... Some don't quite understand my humor as well *COUGH*NEVERMORE*COUGH*:p 

I'd make sure by encasing myself in a pyramid like Omnibus' a few days before I die and set all sorts of booby (heheh, I said booby) traps armed with lasers, heat seeking missiles and penguins with rocket packs on their backs... Of, and of course sharks with laser beams on their heads... :D 

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dudes, coming from a country that has access to both Hasbro and Takara TFs, I can say that me and other fanboys still prefer Takara's TF not because we're anti-Hasbro or that we're Asians but most of the time, we find some of the stuff that Takara puts up is better in terms of "quality" such as the materials used, better paint applications etc. Example, Hasbros' BT vs Takara's BT or Armada's Hot Shot vs Micron Legend Hot Shot.

The difference in standards is could be cultural where US companies simply treat the toys as simply toys (which they are) while toys which have achieved a certain amount of branding can "appeal" to the collector market.

Takara has to put up "good" toys because if they don't, they will be slaughtered in their native Japan (which they were). The toy industry is so competitive in Japan. Takara is competing against Power Rangers, Godzillas, Soul of Chogokin, Ultraman, Gundam, Godzilla etc.

Apparently, the difference in the "quality" between US and Japan toys aren't just limited to TFs too but surprise, surprise...Power Rangers! Sentai fans in the US have been complaining about the "inferior" toys they receive as compared to the their Japanese counterparts. You can check out one such letter in one of the issues in Toyfare.

But then again, I'm not saying that Takara has no problems with their QC...but then again, Hasbro's QC for the past few months has been impressive - especially its Cyberton toys.

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that is hella depressing.