How to waste your money on Japanese imports!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    The last time I regularly imported mainline Takara figures was Car Robots, because I thought (like many of us) the whole toyline was never going to have a U.S. release. I regret what I see as wasting money on Gigatron, Fire Convoy, God Magnus, Black Convoy and others. But knowing what we know now, I'm *really* glad I got Brave Maximus, since he was never released in the U.S. and by the time Hasbro declared definitively that he would not be released, it was too late to buy Brave Max at retail from most stores I knew of at the time.

I do and will continue to import any and all G1 reissues and a few e-hobby repaints that I like, such as Anime Astrotrain and Twincast.

I don't feel that either Takara or Hasbro is better at Transformers. I will buy the Transformers I like, and price breaks any tie of equal-quality toys. If I lived in Japan, there would be guys I'd import from Hasbro, like Hardtop and Wreckloose. And if Hasbro doesn't release voyager-sized Starscream in show-accurate colors by the end of Cybertron, I'll import the GF. (I have a hunch, we'll see.) But that's an exception to my price-consious philosophy that allows me to collect as many TFs as I have so far.

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Why all the hostility? Seriously?

Nevermore *gasp* asked a question on a message board. WHY THE HELL WOULD SOMEBODY DO THAT!? :redface2: 

Anyway... last time I actively imported anything was Car Robots, but that was before we had any info on RID coming to the US. Other than that, I've only picked up a few things here or there... well, I guess I am actively seeking out allteh Japanese Beast Wars toys, but that's mostly because they mostly seem cheaper to get MISB than the US stuff.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    He asked the equivelent of "Why are Takara fans so stupid?". He can do that on a message board, but it's not really appropriate for this message board.

But I have no problem with it, honestly. If anything it exposed how deep that mindset is around here.

4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

You know, after reading through a few of the posts in this thread, I'm beginning to feel like the shy little seven year old kid getting brow-beaten :stick:  by his Dad for taking the last cookie. Jeez. I'm gonna go throw up now. Then I'm gonna visit The Fuzzy World where we expect to get physically sick after reading a thread. :puke: 

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Yay!!! I have a fan of my posts!!!:lol 

I liked Muppets better because Animal was a Muppet!!! He's the best drummer in the world!!! :rock 

I like redheads too!!! With green eyes and fair skin!!! And they must be eating Ding Dongs and coffeecake!!! :rock 

What a way to lighten up a thread...:p 

Takara > Hasbro = Takara < Hasbro

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what i dont get is the 'im buying GF to keep in the box and buying CYB to play'.

WTF? if im gonna keep a packaging, im gonna make sure i can at least read stuff on the box.

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I keep my GF boxes... It kinda makes me feel better about spending the extra cash on the figures... But I don't buy duplicate Cybertron copies... That seems somewhat excessive...

BT/BT* and ALTs on the other hand are fair game to me...:p 

8. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Hmmm....
    I guess there are certain imports to buy and not to buy.

9. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

That could be interpreted in a variety of ways. :ev: 

10. Razerwire

News Credits:
    HOSTESS!!! HOSTESS baked products is what we're talking about!!!:lol 

11. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I import when I feel like it. Sometimes, it's because the toy either won't come to the U.S., or I have no faith that it'll show with decent paint apps, or have some other weird changes (i.e. Cybertron Optimus, Vector Prime)

Not all paint apps are worth it to me to import. In fact, very few are. I know GF Sideways has shiny paint, and I don't care. Vector Prime was a notable exception, simply because the American version turned out to be completely atrocious. I couldn't have predicted it would be THAT bad, but I figured he'd be missing SOMETHING.

If it's something that's identical, it's because I want it earlier. I don't do that very often; GF Primus is the first in a LONG while.

-XCN-

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In THIS thread, he basically cited an example and questioned the wisdom of why someone might pay a premium to buy the Japanese/Takara version of a toy, when all else, from paint to plastic to packaging, are identical. Personally, I didn't see "Why are Takara fans so stupid?", I saw "Why would someone pay extra for brand loyalty and nothing else?" (still not sure how many folks actually do that though) As for appropriate, others have been more than happy to start new threads broadcasting bias as if it were fact, so this is almost a sociological survey by comparison (and I have a bridge to sell. :)  )

I'll go along with the vocal minority that says that one's toy-buying preferences are one's own, and as long as it's not self-destructive, it's no one else's place to judge the whys of it.

13. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I buy hasbro, why? it's a lot cheaper for me, to import a Galaxy Force toy, the cost will nearly double, except on Basics/Scouts and Leaders, which only have small markups.

Cybertron Basic bought from store - $14-16
    Galaxy Force basic imported - $20

Cybertron Deluxe bought in store - $20-$25
    Galaxy Force Deluxe imported - $40

So far, from Galaxy Force i've imported 3 toys, Starscream, Roadstorm and Ramble, why? Starscream - i'm a fan, and i wanted the smaller mold, as well as the larger. Roadstorm - i was one of the very few that liked him from the very first look, knowing i'd have to wait months for his release in my country, i bought him online, only cost me $5 more or so, so i didn't mind. Ramble - i wanted the Blue and Yellow since Hasbro weren't releasing those colours, but since the Blue were out of stock, i took Yellow.

I'm considering importng a Sonic Bomber, because it'll be a few more months before i see one on shelf, and i like the look of the chrome...however i know there's some QC problems with his head and i'm not overly keen to pay an addition $30 for him, i'm undecided at the moment as to wether i will get him....

Binal Tech - that i can understand, i have 3 BT myself and love them, but really, i don't want to pay double the price it is to buy a Alt, so only in exceptional cases or where i can get a great bargin (like i did Overdrive, a mere $5 more than a Alt version) i'll stick with a Alternator, not to mention it's much easier to return one of them if it's faulty than it is a imported toy.

I'm not really phased by people who want to spend a lot of money importing stuff they can get in store cheaper, but well, if that's how they want to spend their money, so be it. I can be happy in the fact i know i'm getting more for my money in the end, because i can actually buy more with it....

14. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, chill.

All he did was ask a question about a trend. He even quoted an example to make his point. If you disagree, then please present your argument and examples. This way you can refute his claims in a reasonable way without sounding as if he and the rest of this board has it in for you.

Let me be clear here so as not to be taken out of context. We are all fans and collectors of a line of TOYS. It doesn't matter to most of us where you buy yours from, who you buy yours from, or WHY you buy yours. The only person who should care about your collection is you. There is no contest that I am aware of that offers any kind of prize for who has the largest, coolest, most expensive collection in the world, so why should it matter to you what anyone thinks about the how's and why's of your collecting.

This is not aimed solely at Nightrain, I'm now talking to everyone. There has been alot of negativity in the fanbase for quite some time now. There have been some good reasons for it to a small degree of which I'll not go into here since that would only derail my point.

My point being, we all need to be happy with our collections. Cause if we're happy with our collections, then what does it matter what anyone else says about our way of collecting. Ask yourselves why you collect? Go on, ask yourself. Now ask yourself if you're happy with your collection and where it's going. If you're happy, great, move along to the next thread. (go on, git. You don't need to read any further.)

If you're not happy, you need to ask yourself why not. This is important since if you're not happy, what's the point in collecting in the first place. I'd ask you when was the last time you felt happy with your collection and what has changed since then. I've noticed alot of threads lately of fans who seem to be losing their love of their hobby. And sad to say it happens sometimes. I use to be a huge Trekkie myself but not so much any more.

The reasons for why this happens are many and the answers are, sadly, few. For some, it's some other hobby that has pushed away another, For some (and this is becoming more of a problem as of late) it's just running out of room for ones collection. The old saying, "Out of site, out of mind," is true to a small degree. For others (and this one is wrong on many levels) is cause of jealousy.

We let ourselves get distracted sometimes by what other fans have or can get be it toys or information. This can seem very unfair particularly if we can't afford or find what another collector has. And what's even sadder is that no matter how much time, money and effort we put into a collection, there's somebody out there who's collection is better than ours. So what can one do about it?

First, I'd say see if you still have your love for your collection cause if you don't you'd only waist time and resources trying to rekindle something that you may never have again and that will only lead to frustration. Secondly, if you still wanna make a go of it, figure out the focus of your collecting. ie: what do you want? How much of it do you want? Do you want MIP or loose? Repaints? Originals? Or all of them?

Once you've decided that, then you need a budget and a plan. How much can you afford each month and which ones should you get first should be questions that are planned out to a small degree. We all want to see our collections grow but we don't want to have to pay too much or run out of space too quickly. Otherwise you end up right back at being miserable.

Once you've done all of that and you've got yourself back on the road to enjoying your Hobby... The last thing you need to do is stop being so damn sensitive to what others say about your hobby/collection. Who cares what someone else thinks. It's not their toys sitting in your room, it's yours! And if they don't like how, or why you collect the way you do... then fuck them. But be nice about how you say it, cause all they are doing is sharing their opinions. And their opinion is only important to them. You on the other hand should have your own opinion, and if you want it respected, then you need to respect theirs. (even if it's wrong) :wink: 

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nu-uh, no way. i'm comfy and i just made popcorn.

seriously, i gotta go with whoever said, i think the number ppl who are strictly import elitist are very much in the minority. at least, thats what i perceive from those whose post i actually care about and whose opinions i value.

16. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

Group Hug!

17. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

The thing is, is anybody, anywhere, actually doing this?

The general consensus is that yes, that'd be dumb. But no one actually seems to be that dumb anyway.

We've nothing to say anyone is actually buying these SWTF toys - I know I did some consultancy for a (now defunct) UK online importer a few years ago, and they'd frequently run into problems with Star Wars where they'd import Hasbro US product and sell it for more than UK retail. Most of the time it sold fine, but occassionally Hasbro UK would get a clue (well, perhaps more by dumb luck) and mass release something in the UK at about the same time. When that happened they were kinda screwed, because they ended up with this product that even selling at cost was significantly more expensive than it was commonly available for, but what could they do about it (other than try and sell a few to casual collecting suckers who didn't really look around toyshops and take a loss on the rest).

I suspect that may well be what's happened here. The online shop ordered stock expecting that it'd take some time for Hasbro Europe to release the toys, and they've merely been surprised by an unusual act of competence and stuck with stuff that there's no real market for.

These situations are pretty rare really. Normally it's very unusual for there to be no factors like Takara being able to provide a product a lot faster, easier, cheaper or better (or more than one of the above) involved, certainly for Europeans. One might also bear in mind force of habit is a powerful thing. If I got everything from one online store and they were reliable, I'd be inclined to take the odd hit to save me time looking around sometimes. Humans are lazy.

Phazer

18. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Quoted for TRUTH! Who cares what the guy down the street is doing?

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    You write the longest post in this thread, and you tell me to chill? :lol  :p 

Anyway, you seem to think there's a valid debate here. There really is not. It's like debating why someone would import a Japanese chair instead of buying a similar looking one in the states. There are factors that just aren't tangible enough to justify it to the "unbelievers". Some people collect Takara because it's Takara. Deal with it.

In the end, it's a rediculous question formed in an obnoxious manner(omgz why u waste money on jap stuff?!?!?).

20. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Yin and Yang

Brudders and sisters, c-c-c-can't we all just get along?