How to tell the new KO Reissues apart from authentic toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JunkersHVN, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Buster D

Buster D Well-Known Member

Edges look good and there's no fading or miscoloration, so that card looks way too good to be vintage to me. Probably just a KO with a bent up card and some old or purposefully aged Target sticker on it (the sticker missing parts also makes it suspicious).

Targets also weren't nearly as common back in the 80's.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

News Credits:
    Agreed. The extreme aging on the price sticker doesn't match the condition on the card. 30 plus years will wear a card back more naturally than this. It should potentially have fuzzy edges, separation of card layers at the edges, and more subtle creases. This looks like they purposely bent the card to scam someone. The plastic bubble is way to clean as well. I'd skip this one if it were me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SWSuperior

SWSuperior Constructicons Inferior

Yeah, forgot about the bubble yellowing. And it is easier to get a Target sticker rather than a KB or TRU one that is age appropriate. I am not going to take a risk, but someone else is willing to spend 200+ rolling the dice on it.

4. operatorsjy

operatorsjy Member

Ebay:
    Need some help identifying if these are KOs.

Attached Files:

5. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I've compared this to photos of a real Bumblejumper and a knockoff, and this is a match for a real Bumblejumper. The knockoff has the hole punch in the center, and "The" and "TM" are positioned differently, and the red/black fade is different. This one has none of those differences. It's real.

• Like Like x 1
  6. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

Do we have any examples of MPM-12 Optimus KO’s…..?

If that’s something which has already appeared and been discussed, sorry. I’m a bit daunted at the prospect of reading 74 pages.

7. Continuous

Continuous Member

Any chance I could get some help with this MP22 Ultra Magnus I'm getting some red flags with it but I'm not sure. This was in a live stream sale for a local collectable shop and they are asking $150 which is a really big red flag for me since MP22 is normally around $300. And I have seen them selling another MP Wheeljack with no Lancia label on the box claiming it's authentic.
    box 1.png box 2.png 317910674_659615862293892_909537881967517199_n.jpg

8. ObsessionTF

ObsessionTF Well-Known Member

I don’t know about mp-30 Ratchet because I don’t have him. (Yet)
    My Mp-27 Ironhide looks exactly the same as yours and I got him from Robot Kingdom. He definitely authentic.

Attached Files:

9. SoundwaveMajor

SoundwaveMajor Dark WarLord of Insanity

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    it was a pain trying to replace frenzy, so many miss labeled and few looked fake. did come a cross Squawktalk And Beast-Box package where eye was spelled ete , stayed away from that package

10. Fyrefyter

Fyrefyter New Member

Been having a hard time finding info on this. I’ve got Sludge, but I’m not sure if he is a legit G1 or some type of KO or reissue. Can anyone help? Some things seem legit, but some things are off. The portion under the rub sign isn’t “raised.” The stamping looks like a U.S. issue if I’m correct and the hinges on the chest look correct. The rivets/screws on the inside legs are different on each leg, one looks correct the other looks “larger.” The inside of the wings look right. The tail rivets look correct…I just don’t know what I’m really looking at here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  11. soundwavin

soundwavin Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Check the highendtfs.com entries for them. And just keep in mind one more thing which is over the past 35 years someone might have tried to repair them and can change or add stickers. I got a G1 Megatron once, found the trigger was sticking and when I opened it up found someone tried to repair it using a longer screw that was blocking the trigger.

12. Fyrefyter

Fyrefyter New Member

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been pouring through highendtfs.com on the subject as well as ku.actoys.net which is why I got stumped. I seemed to have some conflicting issues on the figure. Good point on the mixing of other parts. Just wasn’t sure if this was the case or if there was something i hadn’t read about that makes what I’m seeing as legit.

13. soundwavin

soundwavin Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's definitely tricky. The longer I've collected G1 the more and more I realize.... so much can happen to the authentic figures in such a long period of time. I've seen everything from parts swapped, aftermarket stickers, swapped screws, mismatched accessories from different variants, superglue, etc. I'd say as long as the mold matches what seems to be authentic, then it's usually just someone else who tried to repair it before you. Then what I'll do is just wait until I get a junker of the same figure and try to further repair what they did (e.g., swap the screw you saw that mismatches with a good screw from another). I might have a junker sludge I can try to pull an authentic screw off for you. I'm traveling for a week but can check when I'm back.

14. Fyrefyter

Fyrefyter New Member

Thanks! I ended up talking to Matt Hoverd from HighEndTf’s, and he seemed to believe that it was a legit first issue Sludge. He didn’t seem to concerned about the larger, different rivet/screw/fastener. Everyone’s help has been much appreciated!

15. ObsessionTF

ObsessionTF Well-Known Member

I don’t think the coins have been bootlegged, at least I have never seen one. However, the coins are not packaged inside the boxes so anyone could put an authentic coin with a KO figure. Definitely not proof.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Transmario

Transmario Well-Known Member

I may need more data on this but I think I found a way to tell between the ko of Mp-27 and the 2018 reissue. The same should go for the 2018 reissue of mp-30.

The stamp on the back of the figure's right leg and on the bottom of the box for the kos replicate the original 2015 (ironhide) and 2016 (ratchet) runs. But not the 2018 reissues. The stamp for the boxes of the kos are the following:
    Ironhide: L1015
    Ratchet: A1816

These are real production numbers for the original releases so you can't really tell the difference between a ko and the first run of an authentic figure
    BUT you can tell the difference between a potential ko and a reissue!

For the variant of mp-27 that came with the bonus drill accessory that production seems to start with a 'G' not an 'L'

For the 2018 reissues of both mp-27 and mp-30 the last 2 digits of the production number are '18'

To my knowledge the kos didn't replicate the reissue production numbers only the first run of figures.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DarnSoundwave

DarnSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm trying to identify if this Masterpiece MP-32 Optimus Primal is legit, hopefully from the packaging so I can return it unopened if it's fake. Here are some (hopefully) relevant images. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D 

20601 is embossed on the back, under the trademark info

It has a sticker over the barcode, which is the most suspicious thing to me. It looks like the lower sticker might match the one on this highendtfs ebay auction: Transformers Masterpiece MP-32 Optimus Primal - Sealed New - USA Seller In Hand 195166170312 | eBay (I did not buy it here, but the price was about the same, ~$120)

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2023
  18. FORT MAXie

FORT MAXie Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Seller looks legit having a sticker over a barcode is rather common even with official stuff actually less common with KO because they do not intend for their stuff to be rung up the focus is online sales and a sticker is a needless expense. I am guessing the seller runs a hobby store like Spieda games or Comic Logic. I have doubts its a KO at all but lets say it is the quality of the KO is on par with the official some say flashing issue here and there but sorta easy fixes and Hasbro's TT stuff lately has had some serious QC issues at most others it's perfect.
    Optimus Primal MP-32 KO

• Like Like x 1
  19. levyshahar

levyshahar Nemesis Wheelie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can anyone share their thoughts, does thisnlook like an original or ko? Thanks for the help!

2313CF5A-F9E7-4656-BB05-0140F28B3EA9.jpeg E462440B-6780-4C25-802A-535C4A32DEAE.jpeg D77B679B-E95C-40F5-850A-D01E74B9B7A1.jpeg 61C1058F-6439-49F4-AC3F-841C3868620B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Buster D

Buster D Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2