How to tell the new KO Reissues apart from authentic toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JunkersHVN, Mar 15, 2007.

1. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I've been meaning to post this - thanks for the motivation!

First if you bought it from toypartscentral on eBay that's practically enough to know it's a KO Scamper. He's formerly known as agesthreeandup and sold tons of the new KOs before being slapped with a Hasbro C&D. I don't have a KidiToys KO Metroplex set but I strongly suspect KidiToys is the manufacturer of Scamper. Can a KO Metroplex owner verify the below Scamper differences?

Based on the one I have in front of me, some ways to ID the KO Scamper compared to an original:

General:
    *It comes in a bag with arms and pistol. My bag says "TOYS TOYS" at the top.
    *The black is a different shade than the original used on all the Metroplex accessories. It's most noticeable under a bright light.
    *All the details aren't as sharp, as in many square marks are now rounded and molded indents are rounded or missing.
    *The plastic is more glossy/shiny than the original.

Figure:
    *It's shorter than the original, maybe by a millimeter at most.
    *The wheel axle pin is longer
    *The axle pin is poking too far into the back of plastic wheel, creating a stress-type mark on the exterior wheel(s).

Arms:
    *The arms are shorter
    *The arm peg that attaches to the body is almost flat, as opposed to the more beveled peg of the original
    *Two thinly engraved-looking stripes are missing on the forearm section
    *Two short, thickly engraved-looking stripes are missing on either side of the upper shoulder peg (not the attachment peg).

Gun:
    *The handle peg comes to a point instead of being completely round on the end
    *Injection mold marks are on the handle side, rather than the opposite side.
    *Several molded engraved-like indents are missing, one most noticeable near the end of the barrel.
    The forward "scope" on the top fin is too thin, rather than as wide as rear part scope section.

Yikes, that turned out to be longer than I expected. There are a few things I neglected to mention since they are minor like a couple more missing molded indents and injection mold marking differences, but the above should be enough to see the differences.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thing is I don't own a real Scamper, just a beat up Metroplex missing half his accessories I got in a lot on ebay. So comparing it with a real one is not an option. I do have some parts from the real Metroplex like black fists. I don't think they look like the same plastic.

Still, I paid $6 for the thing WITH shipping. I'm not complaining too loudly. I was more curious than furious. I didn't know someone sold loose KO Scampers.

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet, but I recently got a KO Springer, and while it's a nice figure, there is a telltale sign from the box that it is a KO. If you look at the underside of the box, it says "Triple Changer Octane."

Oops.

4. Fighbird

Fighbird Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

6. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Any one bought the KO Superion giftset? If so, how's the quality?

7. godbomber

godbomber Henkei != Hentai

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A question for your KO Dinobot owners: did the weapons bag arrive inside the small interior bubble, and were the missiles NOT on a sprue tree?

8. Astoriacrew

Astoriacrew Well-Known Member

I snapped a picture of bootleg ROTF figures. Since when did all of the characters wield swords? From left to right: Starscream, Skids, and Megatron. They also had Bumblebee, which looked like a Playskool BB, Soundwave, and others. Super Change? Also notice the fake looking Autobot logo, what a shame.[​IMG]

9. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I apologize if this is in the wrong thread.

Does anyone know if this is a knock-off?
    I'm asking because it doesn't look like the seller has taken the pictures himself, and because they have 500 of it and have had so for weeks.

probably a dumb question, but better safe than sorry :) 

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    No, those are legit. In fact they've been available through Asian retailers for a long time. And they are at clearance stores in the US right now, so I'm not surprised online retailers still have them in bulk.

If you are on the fence, I recommend it. I've had Drag Strip for maybe a year, and I'm very happy with him!

11. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks Fosterlager. I'm very new to collecting, as you can see by my collection count, and I've been fooled once ("reissue" snarl).

12. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, I'm glad you're aware of this thread so it hopefully doesn't happen again. And welcome!

13. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

Help me-I am losing sleep over this!!!!!!

I bought a G1 Optimus Prime recently from a physical seller, meaning I went to the person's house and saw the figure. Now, I am super aware of the differences between a re-issue OP and an original, but not a counterfeit.

Well, I bought the figure and was really excited but on my way home I was thinking to myself, "Wow the chrome is really nice." It raised a little doubt in my mind whether this was a knock-off / counterfeit or not, so when I got home I compared the "G1" cab to my G2 cab. Besides the more purpling and the autobot stamp of G2, everything was the same except the G2 gun did not fit the fists of the "G1" and the silver trim sticker did not wrap all the way into the back of the cab. The trailer stamp looks just like [​IMG], but with a small 2 to the right of the "T." (just incase it does not come up copy & paste http://destrong.freewebsitehosting.com/stampings.html it is Crazysteve's "Mark of the Takara" under Optimus Prime #1)

It came from an adult collector so maybe they purchased it unknowingly at a convention (she told me that's where she bought him).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  14. JETFIYAAA326

JETFIYAAA326 mini con sparkplug

Yea ive found a great less of quality between the real ones and KO'S i saw the g2 constructicons as "quick change vehicals they were plastic and didnt the devastator parts to combine him i just threw them away they were very cheap

15. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up a KO Springer on iOffer. It's awesome in every way. I have a KO Reflector & Superion on the way.

My buddy picked up KO Octane, Reflector, Gnaw, and Hubcap, and all of them are tits as well with the exception of Hubcap, who won't stand up and his head won't stay closed in vehicle mode.

16. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awesome! who did you use and were they reasonable with your offer? What was your offer if you don't mind me asking...

17. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All were purchased through t800pro at iOffer.com.iOffer Stores - t800pro's Store

Dude is totally reasonable. I have essentially offered him his asking price for items with free shipping and he hasn't turned us down yet. Quality is great on the figs, packing is great on the items, and shipping is fast (I received one in one week, the 2nd shipment took 2 weeks for a much larger box, and it's been almost 1 week since I ordered my 3rd shipment from him). Payment is made through PayPal so you have buyer security as well.

18. pcosentino

pcosentino Active Member

You will notice on most KO's as well that the yellow circle or burst behind the character on the box is a solid yellow. True G1's for example have a faded or transparent yellow circle behind the picture of the character. Also where it says AGES: 6 and up KO's use a period instead of a semi colon so it says AGES. 6 and up. Small things but they stand out if you know what your looking for.

19. pcosentino

pcosentino Active Member

Does anyone know if there is a true reissue of the insecticons besides the collectors series by Takara? I would love to add them to my collection however I DO NOT want to get a KO.

20. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Yep, the Insecticons have indeed been KO'd.

[​IMG]