How to tell the new KO Reissues apart from authentic toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JunkersHVN, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Gestalts Vault

Gestalts Vault Well-Known Member

For instance, which of these is genuine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Looks like Spencer converted kotransformers.com into a vehicle to sell his knockoffs instead of a guide for IDing knockoffs. Lame.

3. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Haha, yup! I don't even see comparison pics anymore.

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I wish someone would. The colors are clearly different and this very minute details are great observations too. What's the paper quality like between the two?

Yeah, super-lame. I stumbled upon that recently too. Nowhere on the site does it indicate Spencer is connected with it and the domain isn't even registered in the same city as agesthreeandup.com. His level of shadiness just increased IMO. Hasbro wouldn't look to kindly on him sidestepping that C&D

5. Gestalts Vault

Gestalts Vault Well-Known Member

I can't tell a difference in paper quality. I wish someone would post all genuine instructions & sticker sheets compared to repros.
    I don't think there's any significant enough difference to be able to spot them on ebay but at least once you get them in your hands you'll be able to log a complaint.

6. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    Here's something I whipped up for a different thread, but seems more appropriate here:

I decided to pull out my metal-toed original (left) and bootleg (right). The bootleg has had Rumble (well, Frenzy according to reprolabels.com) applied, so don't pay attention to them.

Notice the obvious difference in the rivets. The plastic color difference may not be as apparent, but the bootleg has a lighter shade.
    [​IMG]

The original has light blue hips, while the bootleg has dark blue.
    [​IMG]

The elbows and feet are super-chromed on the bootleg. The silver face paint on the bootleg is shinier as well. I don't think it shows up in the picture, but the original has fairly detailed hands while the bootlegs lacks this detail.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, giving the two a shake test, the bootleg is super rattly while the original feels nice and solid

7. Lord_Zarak

Lord_Zarak Well-Known Member

anybody could tell me if KO Devastator set is made of diecast parts and something about quality?

8. crimbot

crimbot TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was thinking about buying the new knock off reflector, as I have wanted one in my collection forever. I don't have any of the newer knock offs, I was wondering how tight these are and if they are worth the $80 asked on ebay.

9. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Im not sure if it has been mentioned ...

How do you tell the diffrence between the original Takara Star Saber, and the Korean KO ... or whatever it is :drunk 

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Spencer isn't selling the KOs on kotransformers.com; he's using the cart because it's a quick and easy way to add new KOs.
    Considering that he has sold KOs in the past, didn't anyone think it a little odd that every single item on the site (all of which, incidentally, have a LOT of photos for each) are all out of stock?
    Researching & knowing your shit before throwing insults for the win, guys.

11. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    Without A3Up revealing their actions how is the conclusion he's trying to restart online sales so implausible?

*He's using a CMS package exclusively made for eCommerce as opposed to the uncountable other free CMS;s easily available and implemented that aren't associated with online sales.
    *Items have prices in accordance with how much he previously priced his products.
    *All registered domain and website info associated with him has mysteriously disappeared.
    *The site looks like it's still in development which might explain, to me anyway, why items aren't in stock.
    *We all know he's still selling bootlegs anyway.

12. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    Um, almost 2 months ago is when this was first noticed. I'm pretty sure back then they were in stock. I think I would have noticed if everything was out of stock, but I guess I could have missed it.

Anyway, even if it's not going to be used as a store, why would he list Nicole as the contact person? Why would he use those weird not-infringing names? Why would they be listed with accurate prices? It just doesn't add up--Even if he eventually decided to not sell knockoffs on it, those facts really make it seem like at one point he was at least planning on using it that way. I think we were justified in concluding that it was going to be used that way.
    Where did anyone insult him? We just said it was lame that he appeared to have converted the site into a store.

13. Mixmasterjay

Mixmasterjay Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Does anyone know where to get the new KO Reflector? I saw one at a friends house yesterday and the quality is even better then an original Reflector (I have a vintage myself). I want one for a kitbash. Can someone please help me.

14. Might Gaine

News Credits:
    I don't know where to get the KO Reflector, but I noticed two differences for telling them apart:

1) KO Reflector doesn't come with the factory stickers applied. They are on a seperate sheet.

2) The styrofoam on KO Reflector looks a little rougher and more angled than on the original. The original had a sort of smooth look to it.

From the outside they look identical to the original, though. :-(

15. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Got me a KO reflector and I have to say apart from it looking brand spanking new there isnt really any differences, the stickers are now nice and thick and not the very thin quality of the older KO's and the paint is also thickers and appears not to flake.

Dangerous times peeps, keep your wits about you if your going after a reflector.

On the subject of A3U in spencers defence at least the site indicates they are KO's and not the real thing, if your buying from the site you know what your getting.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  16. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Mind if I ask where you got one from? And did they have the 3 different box versions that was first reported by A3U months ago?

17. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yahobby.com sells the KO's

18. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, Red Leader.

And thanks for the link, wheeljaxx. Do you know where they're located? I can't find that info on their site.

19. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Anyone?

20. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

I just received my Reflector KO today from Yahobby.com. VERY scary. i think this is the one that will be the hardest to tell apart from an authentic one. Even if you have them in hand side by side.

Ok here's what i found:

1) The shutter button on my spectro pushed down, but does not click ( could just be mine) but a G1 version clicks like a pen.

2) The flash cube is spring loaded. my G1 is not. Also, the missile opening on teh cube is slightly smaller.

3) The red paint on spectro is much improved over the red paint on the Dino bots KO. However, due to the new thickness of paint, some of the fine details on spectro's body are not as sharp as the G1.

EVERYTHING else is spot on perfect match to my G1. the metalic flake paint to the color of plastic, to the copyright stamps.

it is my opinion on this, that the only way to tell this is a KO on e-bay is to notice if there is a alot of auctions all of a sudden, otherwise, you'll only be able to tell when you get it in hand.

edit.

in the case of spectro, wher eteh KO head does not click when pressed, i opened him up to find out why, and i opened up my G1 to comapare.

NOT THE SAME MOLD AT ALL.
    the head, and the OUTSIDE details are identical, but the insides are totaly different. KO spectro had a spring loaded shutter button, and a molded recess on BOTH halves of the chest. G1 Pectro has a longer shutter button, which goes further into the chest, presses down a Leaver, which compresses a metal sheet for that "click" sound. The parts ARE NOT interchangeable.

Also, on my G1 the lower legs are held in place by rivits. on the KO, there are screws. there is slight detail molding diffs around the screw hole.

The good news:

the parts ARE NOT interchange able. meaning that you can not use the KO weapons on the G1 version. the handles are too big to fit into the hands. Also, the lens canon WILL NOT fit into the Lens on the KO, nor will the lens accept a G1 lens cannon either.

The opto Blaster also has a VERY obvious tell. the gap between the hose on the bottom, and the barrel of teh gun is solid on the KO, on the G1 it is open space. there is also slight detail differences. The other weapons are almost exact except for the handle size.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008