How to take care of your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Legion9186, May 26, 2021.

1. Legion9186

Legion9186 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm not sure if this topic belongs here but please let me know if it doesn't :) .
    I really love how my collection is growing and looking but some concerns about long term are coming to my mind so I started wondering what are the do's and don'ts of taking care of you collection so the figures last for years in good condition.
    Since this website is full of experienced collectors, it would be awesome if I can get some advice on this topic.
    These are the ones that I know:
    1- Don't put your collection shelf in direct sunlight
    2- Don't put you collection in a humid place
    3- Dust your collection at least once a month
    4- Try to have a not too hot or too cold temperature where you collection is.

• Like Like x 4
  2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

All good advice.
    Some things all collectors should have to take care of their collection:
    • screw driver sets (for those repairs)
    • Brush for dusting (an old paint brush or makeup brush will do)
    • proper lamps (you've got to see the damn things)
    • a shooting area (got a walk-in closet you're not using? Perfect! Get a lamp and a review surface in there)
    • Black Out curtains
    • Good shelves. You've spent a ton of money on the toys, so spend similar money on what you're putting them on. (I need to upgrade)
    • A camera or a phone with a good camera

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Legion9186

Legion9186 Well-Known Member

Black out curtains are awesome :D  got a pair for my room not so long ago because for maybe 2 hours a day some sunlight was reaching my collection through the weak normal curtains.

This, I really need to upgrade this aspect, I'm running out of shelf space and I got a lot of figures that I want to display stored in their package in my closet. I'm thinking on getting something custom made with glass so the figures are protected from dust

• Like Like x 1
  4. Megatron Unicronus

Megatron Unicronus Let’s say go!

News Credits:
    I frequently mess around with my figures to prevent dust collections on them. It’s fun, and it removes a tedious thing from the list.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Watch for waspies

Yeah, my problem is that the shelves I'm currently using are attached to the wall, so I'd have to pay someone to come in and take them out and fix the wall behind them. I'm not very handy, or I'd do it myself. So, I'm saving some money and looking to get someone in here to take them out so I can put new ones in.

6. crazyjw18

crazyjw18 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People have mentioned before not to use fluorescent lights since the UV will do damage just like sunlight would. Other than general a/c of keeping it neither too humid nor dry and room temperature, I've seen seen the tip of coating chrome in floor wax or another topcoat sealing agent, no idea on how effective that's been long term.

7. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My collection has been expanding quite a bit as well (started with a few to fiddle with on my work desk, now at the point of oh my goodness where did these all come from). Not to hijack the thread, but is it safe to store them in sandwich bags? I don't have a lot of room to display, so a good amount are just sitting in boxes. I worry about paint rubbing off, but I didn't know if them sitting in plastic baggies is bad for the long term.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Let's see ...

Don't expose them to bright light.
    Don't get them wet.
    Never feed them after midnight.

I've coated chrome in clear paint since the BW Transmetals started developing skin disease. I find it works pretty well.

• Like Like x 2