How to restore oxidised plastic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Blindspot77, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Blindspot77

Blindspot77 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone have experience restoring the shine after the pastic parts on your transformers turned from glossy to murky.

Most toys got that when they were left in the open for too long. The plastic start to get oxidised.

Any expert here to help us with such problems? Will apppreciate if you could kindly share your experience.

2. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I think I remember some use of peroxide temporarily restoring color to yellowing plastic, but it only is a temporary fix.

As yellowing is caused by chemicals added to the plastic to reduce the chance of electrical fires. Because back in the day, all plastic fell under the same regulations as electronics.

3. Huffington

Huffington Banned

There are plastic polishes but I haven't had the heart to attempt it on any vintage toys as they also act as multi-level abrasives. I tried it on some vintage Jumbo Machinders at one point when I was doing small restorations and I remember it left scratch marks but did shine it up. Maybe I didn't use them right.

4. Blindspot77

Blindspot77 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. Those when sunlight hits it again the yellowing will start again.

Maybe need those plastic polish with finer grit. If it shine the toy up there should be no scratch mark. Maybe the grit is not uniform in the polish.

Wonder any other way to shine up and brightened old plastic?