Customs: How to remove old thick paint and how to write details on your customs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by User_138281, Jul 31, 2022.

1. User_138281

User_138281 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tried looking for tutorials online, couldn't find any. Also how do write details like numbers, names, etc. I tried using sharpie pens but that didn't work, I tried using a pin but it ended up not looking very good. Is there any pens or ways that could help?

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I've found spray-on oven cleaner actually gets rid of old enamel paints pretty well without damaging the plastic. Just put the parts in a big gallon freezer bag, spray a bunch of the oven cleaner in there with it and mush it around till the parts are completely covered and leave it for a while.

LA's Totally Awesome is great for removing paint and well. It's a lye and soap mixture so make sure you wear gloves if you're gonna handle the parts while you clean them with a toothbrush or summat. Castrol Super Clean is a similar concoction. It's what I use since I've never seen LA's Totally Awesome anywhere.

As for small details like writing and stuff, maybe try designing stuff in a digital paint program and printing them out on clear decal paper. Make sure you follow the directions on whatever kit you decide to get, though. Mainly the part about putting a spray-on clear overcoat on the decals before you start handling them and applying them to things.

• Like Like x 1
  3. User_138281

User_138281 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would the oven spray work for removing spray paint?

4. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I honestly have no idea. If anything, try it out on a test piece first.

5. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    LA's Totally Awesome is usually found at the Dollar Tree, at least in the US. I haven't had any luck removing factory-applied paint with it but it works great if you need to strip off mistakes from a custom. I also use it as a brush cleaner. It saved a couple of brushes I thought were done for after I used them with paint I took from a Sharpie paint marker. I haven't tried it with spray paint but it would probably work pretty well. If you want to try it, get the concentrated stuff in the bottle without the sprayer. They also sell a spray bottle that is diluted, which won't work quite as well for this.